iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Nov 22, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #1,846 of 2,063
Short summary of my brief testing from the last days listening at different type of headphones and IEMs, all done with 3.5mm TRRS balanced wiring.

Pros:

- Very powerful output (as example Sennheiser HD 800 | 300 ohm @ 102dB sensitivity @ 9:30 to 10 o'clock already loud, Fostex T50RP | 50 ohm @ 92dB sensitivity @ 11:30 to 12 o'clock already loud)
- Great build quality (as iFi usual)
- Seems to have BC1.2 quick charging support, because just ~ 2 hours for full charge using my BC1.2 charger, I'm wonder why this is not mentioned in technical details
- Black background, almost zero hiss (very sensitive IEMs @ iEMatch only slight hiss at unhealthy high volume setting, normal volume no audibile hiss) using an 12 driver IEM as "hiss detector"
- Excellent sound quality (using minimum phase digital filter setting) comparing to a two times more expensive device like Chord Mojo for example
- Decent battery life (~ 8 hours @ 16/44.1 FLAC using 300 ohms Sennheiser HD 800 headphones)

Cons:

- iEMatch output still too powerful output for very sensitive IEMs
- Analogue volume control not fine enough for low volume listening with channel imbalance

The last two cons can be easily fixed using external iEMatch adaptor, with additional benefit to lower output impedance to < 1 ohms for the non-direct output:

Clipboard17.pngClipboard16.png

Would iEMatch @ Ultra setting with -24 dB damping and < 1 ohms output impedance already built-in, it would be absolute perfect, I can live using the iEMatch adaptor, but it's still addtional costs and a bit more bulky.

Clipboard18.png

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #1,847 of 2,063
I'm using the nano iDSD BL with my Shanling M1 which has same USB Audio function over USB-C output like the M2s does and I have zero glichtes.

I have read ( https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...-details-page-12.864211/page-19#post-13854671 ) some units with pre-installed firmware 5.3D have a few issues, but using latest firmware you can geht by iFi support page 5.3C it's working fine: https://ifi-audio.com/nano-idsd-bl-xmos-firmware/ so maybe you check first which firmware your unit is running on.

Btw. first impressions, very good. Power wise almost like original micro iDSD at normal mode gain, I'm using fully balanced TRRS wiring for all my headphones and CIEMs.

I will write soon more comparing to those little gus:

Unfortunately I'm still getting the same issue...damn

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #1,848 of 2,063
I'm sorry to hear, do you have other sources to try like a Android phone with USB Audio Player PRO app for example?

There should just two possible reasons IMHO for your glitches:

1. The firmware of the Shanling M2s is not the same (stable) as from the Shanling M1 in regards of supported USB devices
2. Your iDSD BL unit is faulty

I think point one should be most realistic, as long we have no other M2s users with the iDSD BL reporting a different experience.

Which firmware do you have on your M2s? Last one is 3.0 for your DAP. I use my M1 with 4.0 and the last recent one is 4.1, I did not upgraded yet to last recent one. So maybe use previous firmware 2.20 or if you use 2.20 already, upgrade to 3.0.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #1,849 of 2,063
Hi,
Does anyone has had time to have a solid opinion on this new gadget versus Mojo?
Is Mojo "better"? I've read nano's big brother is comparable, but don't know yet if this small unit is as good.
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones currently with Fiio Q1 and really tempted to buy Mojo but if this new Nano unit is at the same level it will save me a lot of money.
I would use it with an android S7 edge phone (USB Audio Pro app) and a computer (Foobar). My sound files are flac up to DSD, mostly classical and jazz.
Money is not a concern, I will save money for Mojo if it is worth it over Nano.
Thanks in advance.

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #1,850 of 2,063
Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #1,852 of 2,063
I'm sorry to hear, do you have other sources to try like a Android phone with USB Audio Player PRO app for example?

There should just two possible reasons IMHO for your glitches:

1. The firmware of the Shanling M2s is not the same (stable) as from the Shanling M1 in regards of supported USB devices
2. Your iDSD BL unit is faulty

I think point one should be most realistic, as long we have no other M2s users with the iDSD BL reporting a different experience.

Which firmware do you have on your M2s? Last one is 3.0 for your DAP. I use my M1 with 4.0 and the last recent one is 4.1, I did not upgraded yet to last recent one. So maybe use previous firmware 2.20 or if you use 2.20 already, upgrade to 3.0.

Yup, I've got 2 of the M2s, both on the latest firmware, so gonna spend today trying to pin point where the issue is

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #1,858 of 2,063
I bought one yesterday. It's my Christmas present, but I have to test if it works you know :).
After trying to decide for a year if I must buy the Mojo or not I think I feel better with myself spending half the money.
I have not listen to the Mojo ever, but this Nano sound really good. Previously I was using a Fiio Q1 first generation. The sound of the Fiio always sounded a little metallic in the high frequencies.
The nano is closer to real sounds, I am really happy.
The Sennheiser HD600 sound amazing with the Nano but I am no expert and haven't tested many DACs.
Being able to play 32 bit, higher bitrates and DSD is a big plus, in some tracks I can hear the difference.
It works well with my Windows 8 PC and my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (USB Audio Pro APP).

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,859 of 2,063
I bought one yesterday. It's my Christmas present, but I have to test if it works you know :).
After trying to decide for a year if I must buy the Mojo or not I think I feel better with myself spending half the money.
I have not listen to the Mojo ever, but this Nano sound really good. Previously I was using a Fiio Q1 first generation. The sound of the Fiio always sounded a little metallic in the high frequencies.
The nano is closer to real sounds, I am really happy.
The Sennheiser HD600 sound amazing with the Nano but I am no expert and haven't tested many DACs.
Being able to play 32 bit, higher bitrates and DSD is a big plus, in some tracks I can hear the difference.
It works well with my Windows 8 PC and my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (USB Audio Pro APP).

Nice feedback, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 17, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,860 of 2,063
I have two related questions. Both have been asked before separately, but if there were replies, I missed them:

1) Is their or will there be a firmware upgrade to the nano idsd to make it MQA compatible?

2) does ifi offer a trade-in program for upgrading to a nano iDSD Black Label?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back