iFi Audio nano iDSD Black Label (TOUR details - PAGE 12 / TOUR participants - page 26 post #386)
Nov 15, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #271 of 1,008
Received mine last night. I updated firmware before I started listening. I was most interested in what MQA sounded like so I fired up Tidal and right off the bat I could tell a difference between non MQA and MQA files. Then I noticed a buzzing or crackling sound at every beat of the track I was listening to (YELLO - TOY - Electrified II). SO I moved the USB form a v3 to a v2 and the the buzzing was gone... BUT now Tidal said it had detected a MQA playback device and would I like to use it. Now... I did hear a difference before I reset the connection but now the difference was totality mind blowing (IMHO) Every MASTER recording I listened to was amazing. I think now I will always be wondering what would this sound like in MQA.
The amp is lighter than I thought it would be. I do wish it had a micro USB to charge but those ports often get flakey sometimes. It had no trouble driving my HD650s and my Ether Cs a little past what was comfortable, maybe not ear damaging but close. I left my Ether C on while I played LOTRO and had no problems with the driver shutting the game down like I have happened with the FiiO driver for the Olympus 2-E10. This weekend I plan to run the line out to my Project Ember which I believe will be AWESOME.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #273 of 1,008
I am very interested in this product. I am looking forward to initial impressions using iPhone as source. Also, I too am interested in comparison to DFR/B. Thanks in advance.

My initial impressions: It works pretty good with my iPhone using the USB2 CCK. However, I sometimes have to unplug and re-plug it for the iPhone to find it, which never happens with the DFR. (Seems to be related to whether it is turned on before or after connecting, but I haven’t figured out the exact circumstances.)

Using it as a DAC only (feeding a Vali 2), I cant hear much difference between this and the DFR. Maybe the Nano is a little smoother and the DFR has a little more energy. But not much difference that is immediately noticeable.

As for the amp section, obviously the Nano BL has significantly more power, the option for balanced mode, and IEMatch for sensitive IEMs. It will drive a much wider range of headphones and IEMs than the DFR. (But still not every headphone out there. My headphones are T50RP-based, so 50 Ohm power-hungry planars. The DFR volume maxes-out trying to drive them. In single-ended mode, the Nano BL still doesn’t have enough power to make them sing, but at least the volume doesn’t max out at normal listening levels. I still plan to try the balanced mode, but single ended is not quite enough juice for these.)

Another really important consideration: The Nano BL has a great analog volume pot with a knob. The DFR has a great lossless digital volume control with no physical control. With the iPhone, you control the volume of the DFR using the side buttons on the phone, so it is super-convenient. The volume control on the Nano is excellent, but much less convenient when using with an iPhone.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #274 of 1,008
My initial impressions: It works pretty good with my iPhone using the USB2 CCK. However, I sometimes have to unplug and re-plug it for the iPhone to find it, which never happens with the DFR. (Seems to be related to whether it is turned on before or after connecting, but I haven’t figured out the exact circumstances.)

Using it as a DAC only (feeding a Vali 2), I cant hear much difference between this and the DFR. Maybe the Nano is a little smoother and the DFR has a little more energy. But not much difference that is immediately noticeable.

As for the amp section, obviously the Nano BL has significantly more power, the option for balanced mode, and IEMatch for sensitive IEMs. It will drive a much wider range of headphones and IEMs than the DFR. (But still not every headphone out there. My headphones are T50RP-based, so 50 Ohm power-hungry planars. The DFR volume maxes-out trying to drive them. In single-ended mode, the Nano BL still doesn’t have enough power to make them sing, but at least the volume doesn’t max out at normal listening levels. I still plan to try the balanced mode, but single ended is not quite enough juice for these.)

Another really important consideration: The Nano BL has a great analog volume pot with a knob. The DFR has a great lossless digital volume control with no physical control. With the iPhone, you control the volume of the DFR using the side buttons on the phone, so it is super-convenient. The volume control on the Nano is excellent, but much less convenient when using with an iPhone.
Thanks for the information. I also have the T50RP and am very interested in the nano. I am torn whether to get the nano BL and hope it does a good enough job or to get something cheaper like the DFR and save for the Micro ican se to hook it up to. I could get the nano BL and then save for the ican se but it would be a shame to waste the headphone amp in the nano BL in that case. From what you have heard which would you go for (i know you haven't heard the ican se but just thinking of your nano BL and DFR knowledge)?

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #275 of 1,008
Thanks for the information. I also have the T50RP and am very interested in the nano. I am torn whether to get the nano BL and hope it does a good enough job or to get something cheaper like the DFR and save for the Micro ican se to hook it up to. I could get the nano BL and then save for the ican se but it would be a shame to waste the headphone amp in the nano BL in that case. From what you have heard which would you go for (i know you haven't heard the ican se but just thinking of your nano BL and DFR knowledge)?
The T50RP is single-ended only, so in my opinion, neither the Nano or the DFR has enough power to drive it adequately. Also, I find one extra device between the phone and headphones to be inconvenient enough for portable use; two would be unbearable. Given those two factors, I would recommend one of these options:
- save up for a micro iDSD or something with both a DAC + powerful amp.
- look around at the cheaper brands to see if anyone makes a powerful DAC + amp that fits your budget now.
- buy a different set of headphones, one designed specifically for portable use (usable with the standard iPhone dongle). Then make the DFR your next purchase.

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #276 of 1,008
So after a day of using this, I like it. :) The clicks I was getting earlier today seemed to disappear after a "reboot". I will keep an ear out for them to see if they come back.

Its sound signature is kind of a DragonFly Red but a bit more expansive, a kind of fuller sounding DFR, probably because of its extra output power capability. I hoped to use the Line out function with my car stereo but the output voltage is sadly a little to high, so it distorts, I used the "Direct" output and adjusted the volume and it still sounds good.

One issue I still have is it doesn't work with my HTC 10 which is a shame. Another issue had is when I went for a walk at lunchtime with the Nano BL in my pocket the volume gradually decreased with the movement, until I couldn't hear it any more, I need to design and 3D print some kind of volume control lock or cover.

The thing I like is the ability to be able to see at a glance what the volume is, with a DFR, it gets a bit tiring having to yank a pair of IEM's out when the music starts very loud as it sometimes does with the Dragonfly.

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #277 of 1,008
If the battery is flat in battery mode, the iDSD nano will use power from a device (same way non-battery powered USB DAC's do with phones), but it will not charge the battery. So it remains usable even with a flat battery (unlike the original iDSD nano).

I sometimes have to unplug and re-plug it for the iPhone to find it, which never happens with the DFR. (Seems to be related to whether it is turned on before or after connecting

Does this device-powered mode only kick in when the Nano battery is drained? If I connect it to the iPhone while it is powered off then turn it on (with full battery), it never connects. Just a blinking green LED on the Nano and an occasional “Accessory Unavailable. The attached accessory uses too much power.” message on the phone.

B69E3CF4-C36D-4E13-A6BF-CB49D137EF93.jpeg

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #278 of 1,008
The T50RP is single-ended only, so in my opinion, neither the Nano or the DFR has enough power to drive it adequately. Also, I find one extra device between the phone and headphones to be inconvenient enough for portable use; two would be unbearable. Given those two factors, I would recommend one of these options:
- save up for a micro iDSD or something with both a DAC + powerful amp.
- look around at the cheaper brands to see if anyone makes a powerful DAC + amp that fits your budget now.
- buy a different set of headphones, one designed specifically for portable use (usable with the standard iPhone dongle). Then make the DFR your next purchase.
Thanks, this is great advice. I might look out for a second hand micro idsd.

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #279 of 1,008
Does this device-powered mode only kick in when the Nano battery is drained? If I connect it to the iPhone while it is powered off then turn it on (with full battery), it never connects. Just a blinking green LED on the Nano and an occasional “Accessory Unavailable. The attached accessory uses too much power.” message on the phone.

If I am correct in my thinking if you connect the iPhone first and then switch it on then it tries to draw power from the device (computer or iPhone) which causes the error. If you switch the Nano on and then connect the iPhone it will run off the battery and not try to draw power through the usb. This will stop the error.

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #280 of 1,008
The introduction of nano iDSD BL has put me into a tailspin. I currently have the original iDAC and transport it back and forth to work as a desktop solution (home with Creek 4330 SE and Epos M12 speakers and work with JBL LSR 3 powered studio monitors). Now I am happy with the iDAC, but have 3 possible "upgrades" to consider, nano iDSD BL, iDAC2, and micro iDSD BL. Do any of you have direct comparisons between iDAC and one of the 3 possible replacements?

Thanks... Brian

P.S. I plan to continue to use as a "transportable" DAC connected to my XPS15 (9550) laptop with Foobar2000.

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #281 of 1,008
If I am correct in my thinking if you connect the iPhone first and then switch it on then it tries to draw power from the device (computer or iPhone) which causes the error. If you switch the Nano on and then connect the iPhone it will run off the battery and not try to draw power through the usb. This will stop the error.
Yes, you are correct in your thinking; it is designed to use battery power if turned on before connecting USB, and to use USB power if connected to USB before powering on. The manual also recommends using battery power to avoid the power error message, but I was pleasantly surprised to read (above) that it could work on USB power only with an iPhone, at least when the battery is drained. I was just surprised that USB power mode didn’t work at all when the battery was full.

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #282 of 1,008
The introduction of nano iDSD BL has put me into a tailspin. I currently have the original iDAC and transport it back and forth to work as a desktop solution (home with Creek 4330 SE and Epos M12 speakers and work with JBL LSR 3 powered studio monitors). Now I am happy with the iDAC, but have 3 possible "upgrades" to consider, nano iDSD BL, iDAC2, and micro iDSD BL. Do any of you have direct comparisons between iDAC and one of the 3 possible replacements?

Thanks... Brian

P.S. I plan to continue to use as a "transportable" DAC connected to my XPS15 (9550) laptop with Foobar2000.

It all depends on what you're after as far as sound quality and functionality go and which of these aspects is the most important one for you.

Both nano and micro iDSD BLs were designed to be packed with functionalities and portable at the same time, whereas iDAC2 is focused on sound quality in the first place, hence:
  • If you're after sound quality above all else and don't need portable product, iDAC2 is for you.
  • If both aspects are as important, micro iDSD BL is the way to go.
  • If you value portability the most and are in nedd of something even smaller than our micro iDSD BL, nano iDSD BL is the right choice.
Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #283 of 1,008
Received mine last night. I updated firmware before I started listening. I was most interested in what MQA sounded like so I fired up Tidal and right off the bat I could tell a difference between non MQA and MQA files. Then I noticed a buzzing or crackling sound at every beat of the track I was listening to (YELLO - TOY - Electrified II). SO I moved the USB form a v3 to a v2 and the the buzzing was gone... BUT now Tidal said it had detected a MQA playback device and would I like to use it. Now... I did hear a difference before I reset the connection but now the difference was totality mind blowing (IMHO) Every MASTER recording I listened to was amazing. I think now I will always be wondering what would this sound like in MQA.
The amp is lighter than I thought it would be. I do wish it had a micro USB to charge but those ports often get flakey sometimes. It had no trouble driving my HD650s and my Ether Cs a little past what was comfortable, maybe not ear damaging but close. I left my Ether C on while I played LOTRO and had no problems with the driver shutting the game down like I have happened with the FiiO driver for the Olympus 2-E10. This weekend I plan to run the line out to my Project Ember which I believe will be AWESOME.

Nice feedback, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 16, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #284 of 1,008
It all depends on what you're after as far as sound quality and functionality go and which of these aspects is the most important one for you.

Both nano and micro iDSD BLs were designed to be packed with functionalities and portable at the same time, whereas iDAC2 is focused on sound quality in the first place, hence:
  • If you're after sound quality above all else and don't need portable product, iDAC2 is for you.
  • If both aspects are as important, micro iDSD BL is the way to go.
  • If you value portability the most and are in nedd of something even smaller than our micro iDSD BL, nano iDSD BL is the right choice.
Please feel free to ask any additional questions.
Thanks! this was exactly the information I was hoping for. iDAC2 sounds like the ticket!
Cheers... Brian

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #285 of 1,008
A note to the iFi Audio guys... I just got my Nano Black last night... so this morning I setup a test on my desk top computer... the test setup was with a couple different headphones and a couple different IEM... I started out setting up the silver micro and utilizing JRiver Media Center 22 I loaded up all of my test tracks that go all the way up to DSD256 songs... tested the output with all test tracks using the silver micro... every song played back perfectly... closed down JRiver... setup the Nano Black and started JRiver once more.. verified that JRiver saw and recognized the Nano... started playing back the test tracks again... and every file played back fine until it tried to playback DSD256...
NO GO .... plays back everything perfect except those files.. No DSD 256 output at all... the firmware that was shipped with the Nano was 5.3D ... now I see where there is a newer dated firware... 5.3C ... just now updated firware to 5.3C and played back the test songs and all songs play back including DSD256 (blue LED)... so that issue seems to be fixed now... thanks...

Edit here...updated... got the Tidal working now.. changed Tidal setting to "Use Exclusive Mode" and it works fine now... ( desk top version only )

On to iphone... I tested the Nano out on the iphone 6+.. using Onkyo HF Player with all of the settings and the Nano worked perfectly now on all files... I really like the sounds of the Onkyo when its setup to real time DSD conversion at 5.6mhz ... the IEM I matched up are the Audeze iSINE20... the combination of those IEM and the Nano are fantastic....

Still testing... will report if I find anything else... at this time.. if the LED would change with Tidal then it would seem to work really well...

Nitpicking: 1) wish the balance input connector matched the one used on the AK120II.. simply because that is the only balanced cable I have...
2) wish the form factor was more aligned with a smart phone size wise so the Nano could be stacked with a smart phone better...

later... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back