iFi audio LAN iSilencer - Your network. Silenced.
Mar 19, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #526 of 603
“Tesla coils?” What?!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_coil

This is a thread in a sponsored sub-forum, so out of respect I’ll just suggest you look a bit closer at the technical highlights of our board. FAR more that just the $65 of LT3045/42 voltage regs going on there.
Ok, I didn’t know that it was a sponsored sub-forum so I’ll refrain from commenting on your products any further. :thumbsup:

But what’s with the ”What!?”? The ”tesla coil” is a technique that Ansus started using in their products and I’m speculating that iFi is doing the same. It would make sense to me given the design of the LAN iSilencer and the types of techniques iFi tends to use.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #527 of 603
The ”tesla coil” is a technique that Ansus started using in their products and I’m speculating that iFi is doing the same.

Sorry but co-opting the Tesla name does not make the Ansuz two-coils-wound-in-opposite-directions a “Tesla coil” in any sense. Please do at least a tiny amount of research.
And since iFi Audio publish photos of both sides of the LAN Silencer, it is easy to see the devices and techniques used. No pseudo-“Tesla coils” in sight. :wink:

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #528 of 603
Thanks for the decorum gentleman, it is greatly appreciated!

Discussion of product differences is always welcome, along with comparisons. We just ask it doesn't become a competition or turn negative!

@Superdad Thanks for the comments, as it helped me, I was always interested previously in the EtherRegen but it was not available, your post showed me that it now is!

@TheR0v3r Thanks for the support as always, and the valuable conversation.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 19, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #529 of 603
Sorry but co-opting the Tesla name does not make the Ansuz two-coils-wound-in-opposite-directions a “Tesla coil” in any sense. Please do at least a tiny amount of research.
And since iFi Audio publish photos of both sides of the LAN Silencer, it is easy to see the devices and techniques used. No pseudo-“Tesla coils” in sight. :wink:
Point taken, I appreciate your reply. :thumbsup:

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #530 of 603
Still waiting on my iPurifier to pair with my Zen Stream and do a proper review of some non-internal Wifi options (for the record, still prefer the internal wifi so far), and catching up on this thread's recommendations in the meantime. What's got me intrigued is everyone talking about this D-Link DGS-108. I'm hesitant to add more moving parts to a chain, especially if it means more power and more noise that then needs to be re-solved (which is why I wanted to go straight to a passive solution like the Purifier)....but....it seems to me what's going on is these switches are acting as an active filter for router noise and may be an effective poor-man's solution to absorb junk transferred down the line.

The 108's marketed features unsurprisingly lean towards efficient energy use. Someone else on here recommended trying out a switch that I also noticed had 'green' features front and center.

The DGS-108 Gigabit switch offers D-Link’s Green Technology to save energy and reduce heat... the switch will automatically power down the idle port, saving a substantial amount of power. In addition, the switch can also save energy by detecting the cable length and using only as much power as necessary.

I have a Topping P50 an open 5V USB slot that would work perfectly with this, while the other 5V goes to my TP Link mini router, and the 15v rail to my Zen Stream. Could be an interesting combo...

Any reason you guys aren't looking at the 105? 3 less ports but also the 108 both units disable unused ports so seems like a waste to buy the 8

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #531 of 603
Still waiting on my iPurifier to pair with my Zen Stream and do a proper review of some non-internal Wifi options (for the record, still prefer the internal wifi so far), and catching up on this thread's recommendations in the meantime. What's got me intrigued is everyone talking about this D-Link DGS-108. I'm hesitant to add more moving parts to a chain, especially if it means more power and more noise that then needs to be re-solved (which is why I wanted to go straight to a passive solution like the Purifier)....but....it seems to me what's going on is these switches are acting as an active filter for router noise and may be an effective poor-man's solution to absorb junk transferred down the line.

The 108's marketed features unsurprisingly lean towards efficient energy use. Someone else on here recommended trying out a switch that I also noticed had 'green' features front and center.

I have a Topping P50 an open 5V USB slot that would work perfectly with this, while the other 5V goes to my TP Link mini router, and the 15v rail to my Zen Stream. Could be an interesting combo...

Any reason you guys aren't looking at the 105? 3 less ports but also the 108 both units disable unused ports so seems like a waste to buy the 8
I am particularly interested in responses here as I recently updated my Trend Net switch which was discontinued (model run was 18 years) and purchased the new replacement model TEG-S51 for a whopping 12 dollars.

I bought the earlier original as a result of general recommendation for an inexpensive switch by small green computer for connection into an optical moat where the isolation (and optical module deluxe 2 processing) takes place.

After this purchase/update, I noted comments and reviews about the clarity and clean sound of this D-Link DGS-108 for a whopping 37 dollars.

What seems clear to me over time is the cleaner the in going signal the better the ultimate product can/should be.

I too am interested in the 105 (vs 108) and whether normal/reasonable/real people noticed a difference changing from other reasonable priced switches to the D-Link.

Power wise I am staying with the IFI-I Power X on the speed issue.

Thanks for any input!

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #532 of 603
I too am interested in the 105 (vs 108) and whether normal/reasonable/real people noticed a difference changing from other reasonable priced switches to the D-Link.

Was hoping to find a used one locally but everyone's a bit of a drive away, maybe just Amazon both and return the loser...

I saw that one youtube mentioned in this thread say the 8 was better than the 5 for whatever reason. Unfortunately googling is coming up with threads of people gushing about the Aqvox scam switch (based on the 108) so I feel like I'm wading through trash to find some helpful comments (lol)

Found this article running down switch models, though, with measurements to correlate the claims https://www.alpha-audio.net/review/a-very-deep-dive-into-network-switches-listening-and-measuring/5/

I did find one reply section dude say the 105 was 'quieter' than the 108, which was nonetheless 'open sounding'; and he mentioned different crystal oscillators used on the models. That said, the author of the article I mentioned says on the same page, "What we can say – with great certainty – is that a “quiet” switch sounds better."

Someone asked the Alpha Audio guys if there's a difference between 108 and 105 in the comments and staff replied: "There is no difference, they use the same power supply and chipset."

I'm half inclined to just buy both on amazon and open them up and compare over the weekend.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #533 of 603
Was hoping to find a used one locally but everyone's a bit of a drive away, maybe just Amazon both and return the loser...

I saw that one youtube mentioned in this thread say the 8 was better than the 5 for whatever reason. Unfortunately googling is coming up with threads of people gushing about the Aqvox scam switch (based on the 108) so I feel like I'm wading through trash to find some helpful comments (lol)

Found this article running down switch models, though, with measurements to correlate the claims https://www.alpha-audio.net/review/a-very-deep-dive-into-network-switches-listening-and-measuring/5/

I did find one reply section dude say the 105 was 'quieter' than the 108, which was nonetheless 'open sounding'; and he mentioned different crystal oscillators used on the models. That said, the author of the article I mentioned says on the same page, "What we can say – with great certainty – is that a “quiet” switch sounds better."

Someone asked the Alpha Audio guys if there's a difference between 108 and 105 in the comments and staff replied: "There is no difference, they use the same power supply and chipset."

I'm half inclined to just buy both on amazon and open them up and compare over the weekend.
Its always best to verify yourself.

Hard to trust anyone unless they have definitively verified the parts and tested it themselves.

Even if the chipset were the same, the implementation could be different. There could be other parts that are different as well.

I have had both of those switches in the past, they did sound a bit different vs just my router / switch combo but should keep in mind I had to really concentrate. I think a linear PS on either would have yielded a much more significant gain on either device. Either way, they're both better than a cheap switch or the AIO that the isp provides.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #534 of 603
Its always best to verify yourself.

Hard to trust anyone unless they have definitively verified the parts and tested it themselves.

Even if the chipset were the same, the implementation could be different. There could be other parts that are different as well.

I have had both of those switches in the past, they did sound a bit different vs just my router / switch combo but should keep in mind I had to really concentrate. I think a linear PS on either would have yielded a much more significant gain on either device. Either way, they're both better than a cheap switch or the AIO that the isp provides.

I also wonder how much those slight spatial differences would be neutralized because of the iSilencer in the chain as well (especially if placed after)

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #535 of 603
I also wonder how much those slight spatial differences would be neutralized because of the iSilencer in the chain as well (especially if placed after)
Yeah it was really difficult to tell by ear the differences and I also have a lan silencer which also kind of plays into it.

If its that small a difference, I don't think its worth it.

In the ethernet, switches, network related thread, I forgot who but someone upgraded the caps on their 108 or 105 and said the lhy audio switch is significant improvement over that switch. In terms of sound quality.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #536 of 603
Lvivske-extraordinary effort going through all the information and sorting the nuggets of valuable information.

Re-review of a small part of the quagmire does reveal that the 105 has a plastic body which may have put some people off.

dougms3 does not indicate a substantial difference between the 105 and 108. (He raises the point about others citing the lhy switches being better but they have excellent clocks and internal linear power supplies. They had better be.)

All I am looking for is a switch that is a switch and neither adds nor subtracts (other than extraneous noise) anything from the digital stream.

I think your idea (Lvivske) of buying both for a weekend trial sounds great!

I would do the same except I believe my wife would seek my commitment to the mental hospital.

To be continued…

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #537 of 603
In the ethernet, switches, network related thread, I forgot who but someone upgraded the caps on their 108 or 105 and said the lhy audio switch is significant improvement over that switch. In terms of sound quality.

Yeah I can see why an 'audio grade' switch would tip the scales, looks like an all in one solution, built in power supply, shielding, higher end parts...for a price. I'm sticking to the DIY kitbash route :sweat_smile:

Re-review of a small part of the quagmire does reveal that the 105 has a plastic body which may have put some people off.

Both arrived. Can happily say that the 105 has a metal case just like the 108. Externally identical.

That said, I'm not seeing an obvious way on how to open these up to see any internal differences...

PXL_20240404_173238373.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #538 of 603
Photo April 4 2024.jpg

PXL_20240404_174205261.jpg

easier than I thought lol

108:
NSK B / 25TAJ (crystal oscillator)
RTL8370N (black chip)

105:
NSK B / 25TAL (crystal oscillator)
RTL8367N (black chip)

so those are the differences on the face of things. Couldn't find out the specs on the crystals, they appear the same size with just 1 letter different in their SKU. Also everything is surface mounted, no caps to change or mod. The biggest difference was (obviously) the Realtek switch controller, since the 8 port model gets a bigger switch chip (their product pages read identically otherwise)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #540 of 603

Users who are viewing this thread

Back