iFi audio LAN iSilencer - Your network. Silenced.
Feb 24, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #511 of 609
Looking forward to the results! Have a great evening.
The iFi Power X overall edges the DC iPurifier (DCiP) + generic SMPS for my router or Netgear switch.

The X is a little calmer, more focussed/centred and solid than the DC iP which has a more expansive and seemingly detailed sound but a little lighter and edgier with my SMPS. YMMV of course.

So as a one stop shop I'd probably say go with the X. However, and it's a big however, the DC iP scales really nicely with better power supplies. On the end of my 100Ah Lifepo4 12v battery or my Topping P50 12v LPS, it takes them to another level of refinement and soundstage scale. Also improves my 5v X really nicely in powering my SPDIF iPurifier2 but not as much with the 12v on the switches, not as good synergy as with the LPS and battery, perhaps too much noise cancellation, not sure.

Good luck!

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #512 of 609
The iFi Power X overall edges the DC iPurifier (DCiP) + generic SMPS for my router or Netgear switch.

The X is a little calmer, more focussed/centred and solid than the DC iP which has a more expansive and seemingly detailed sound but a little lighter and edgier with my SMPS. YMMV of course.
Wonderful. Since my routers and modems are all 12V, so I could go with one iPower X first and see which component shows the most improvement with the iPower X. Then add things one at a time. Thanks for testing all these combinations out!
On the end of my 100Ah Lifepo4 12v battery or my Topping P50 12v LPS, it takes them to another level of refinement and soundstage scale.
BTW, have you got a version of the Topping P50 which outputs 12V instead of 15V?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #513 of 609
BTW, have you got a version of the Topping P50 which outputs 12V instead of 15V?
Good catch, my mistake, the FMCs are 5 volts fed by the P50, it's the Netgear switch, the modem and router that're 12v.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #514 of 609
Update - a basic switch turned into an audiophile switch
Our FTTH stopped working due to a faulty ”modem” (switched to a secondary connection with mobile broadband). I had forgotten about the iFi LAN iSilencer that was connected to the incoming Ethernet from the FTTH modem…

When the LAN iSilencer was launched I bought it. At first I had it connected to the ”audiophile” switch I had then. That didn’t work out (no difference) so I moved it around and it ended up connected to the incoming Ethernet port for FTTH. Now with the fiber not working, I decided to experiment and move the LAN iSilencer to the switch now connecting the streamer. Today it’s a basic Netgear GS105E w/ Apple iPad 12v connecting the streamer.

From this:

FTTH -> Modem -> iFi LAN iSilencer -> LAN cable -> Router -> LAN Cable -> Switch -> LAN Cable -> Switch > LAN cable -> streamer

To this:

FTTH -> Modem -> LAN cable -> Router -> LAN Cable -> Switch -> LAN Cable -> Switch > iFi LAN iSilencer -> LAN cable -> streamer

The LAN iSilencer mates exceptionally well with the Netgear. All of the sudden my very basic switch reminds of the audiophile switch I had. If I was to guess the technical differences are probably lower noise (Tesla coil?) and better timing (PCB tracing?). Very, very impressive.

Well done, @iFi audio !:L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #515 of 609
Update - a basic switch turned into an audiophile switch
Our FTTH stopped working due to a faulty ”modem” (switched to a secondary connection with mobile broadband). I had forgotten about the iFi LAN iSilencer that was connected to the incoming Ethernet from the FTTH modem…

When the LAN iSilencer was launched I bought it. At first I had it connected to the ”audiophile” switch I had then. That didn’t work out (no difference) so I moved it around and it ended up connected to the incoming Ethernet port for FTTH. Now with the fiber not working, I decided to experiment and move the LAN iSilencer to the switch now connecting the streamer. Today it’s a basic Netgear GS105E w/ Apple iPad 12v connecting the streamer.

From this:

FTTH -> Modem -> iFi LAN iSilencer -> LAN cable -> Router -> LAN Cable -> Switch -> LAN Cable -> Switch > LAN cable -> streamer

To this:

FTTH -> Modem -> LAN cable -> Router -> LAN Cable -> Switch -> LAN Cable -> Switch > iFi LAN iSilencer -> LAN cable -> streamer

The LAN iSilencer mates exceptionally well with the Netgear. All of the sudden my very basic switch reminds of the audiophile switch I had. If I was to guess the technical differences are probably lower noise (Tesla coil?) and better timing (PCB tracing?). Very, very impressive.

Well done, @iFi audio !:L3000:
Running thru my test tracks I hear improvements across the board but for tonality. My system runs slightly lean and bright; even the LAN iSilencer can’t change that. :sweat_smile:

I’m very pleased that the LAN iSilencer doesn’t introduce any shift in tonality. In some other cases these kinds of tweaks have led to a somewhat ”processed” sound that has hampered further improvements. Not this one.

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #516 of 609
I’m very pleased that the LAN iSilencer doesn’t introduce any shift in tonality. In some other cases these kinds of tweaks have led to a somewhat ”processed” sound that has hampered further improvements. Not this one.
Well the iSilencer is great though I have to say it’s not a „perfect solution“. When using a switch inbetween like UpTone Etherregen or far better a Network Acoustics Tempus you see how more natural things could sound. Of course this is a completely different price range, but just to put things n the right perspective.

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #518 of 609
Well the iSilencer is great though I have to say it’s not a „perfect solution“. When using a switch inbetween like UpTone Etherregen or far better a Network Acoustics Tempus you see how more natural things could sound. Of course this is a completely different price range, but just to put things n the right perspective.
Let’s look at this more closely.

At this point my solution is a Netgear GS105E powered by an Apple iPad 12v using a Canare 4S6 DC cable with a iFi LAN iSilencer on the port used to connect with my streamer. That Netgear is actually very, very good and its switching functions are probably at least on par with the UpTone Etherregen and Network Acoustics (NA) Tempus.

IFi, NA and UpTone seem to all have identified noice and timing as the core problems to solve for a better listening experience. IFi seem to be using Tesla coils for noise reduction and tracing for timing. Looking at UpTone’s board they seem to have mainly low-noise voltage regulation for noice reduction and implemented clocks for timing. NA have added to that a ”hybrid dynamic power supply”.

In comparison the weak spot in ”my solution” is obviously the whole power subsystem and supply, maybe also clocking for timing (as opposed to using traces). It’d be fun to see how far this simple solution can be improved by upgrading the power subsystem with a linear power supply.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #520 of 609
Well there is still a lot of difference between the Netgear and other more sophisticated switches. @Superdad can outline in more detail and there are already more detailed explanations on audiophilestyle forum. Sure power supply is a very essential part in the overall performance.
Yeah, those three switches are not very sophisticated switches. And that is actually why I like iFi’s approach here, they are adding functionality and value in a modular fashion to already great products (ie the Netgear).

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #522 of 609
Don't know to which switches you are referring to? Do you know the EtherRegen oder Tempus ?
Looking at the marketing material and the technical breakdowns, yes. From a technical point of view none of them are ”sophisticated switches”.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #524 of 609
Well in contrast to mainstream switches like the Netgear etc. so far the EtherRegen was one of the pioneers in addressing essential areas - you may have a look at the whitepaper at https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...enson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.pdf?v=1583429386
That’s an excellent whitepaper! These are the same issues that I believe iFi are trying to adress with the LAN iSilencer, albeit in a different way.

Maybe we just have different references of what makes a switch sophisticated? Let’s agree to disagree. :thumbsup:

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #525 of 609
IFi seem to be using Tesla coils for noise reduction and tracing for timing.
“Tesla coils?” What?!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_coil

Looking at UpTone’s board they seem to have mainly low-noise voltage regulation for noice reduction and implemented clocks for timing.
This is a thread in a sponsored sub-forum, so out of respect I’ll just suggest you look a bit closer at the technical highlights of our board. FAR more that just the $65 of LT3045/42 voltage regs going on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back