iFi audio LAN iSilencer - Your network. Silenced.
Apr 4, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #541 of 610
Interesting-raises the issue of which model these guys are raving about?

Probably the more recent...most of the threads I have seen are after well after that date.

Great work!

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #542 of 610
Interesting-raises the issue of which model these guys are raving about?

Probably the more recent...most of the threads I have seen are after well after that date.

Great work!

I'm guessing old, one way to tell right away is the various older ones have the port numbers written below the port sockets, and the latest model has the #s written on the top (like in my pic)

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #545 of 610
One thing that I noticed when doing the DGS-105 vs 108 listening comparison was that the I was plugging into opposite ends. On the 105 you can see in the pic that it uses two of those fatter base-t transformers (two slots per chip) and then a little off brand Eko Tech one in the corner beside the power input for the 5th - while on the 108 it uses 4 of the normal ones for 8 slots. I wonder if people were plugging into the 'odd' one on the 105 and that's what threw conclusions?

Either way going forward I'm going to make sure each plug gets its own dedicated wider chip so everything is equal & matched

(also, anyone think its a bad idea to use my mini-router's USB slot to power the switch? versus plugging direct into my LPS? its a lot more convenient to have 1 longer cable going to handle this stuff....)

(ps: how is my avatar correct? Am I missing a Stallone reference??)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #546 of 610
One thing that I noticed when doing the DGS-105 vs 108 listening comparison was that the I was plugging into opposite ends. On the 105 you can see in the pic that it uses two of those fatter base-t transformers (two slots per chip) and then a little off brand Eko Tech one in the corner beside the power input for the 5th - while on the 108 it uses 4 of the normal ones for 8 slots. I wonder if people were plugging into the 'odd' one on the 105 and that's what threw conclusions?

Either way going forward I'm going to make sure each plug gets its own dedicated wider chip so everything is equal & matched

(also, anyone think its a bad idea to use my mini-router's USB slot to power the switch? versus plugging direct into my LPS? its a lot more convenient to have 1 longer cable going to handle this stuff....)

(ps: how is my avatar correct? Am I missing a Stallone reference??)
I am gonna go with "Cobra" getting right down to business, no messing around!

Love that flick!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 5, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #547 of 610
Coupla issues:

1. According to Amazon the D-Link 108 you are using has been replaced by a new model. Cheaper. Not sure if correct as Amazon sell all sorts of out date/discontinued and manufacturers bankrupt models.
2. D-Link manufacturer is, as of today, sold out of the 8 port model you are testing.
3. Their product information does indicate a larger buffer in the 8 vs 5 port.
4. I found an D-link 8 port you are testing and bought one on the internet last night at 2 AM.
5. Why not try both power sources?
6. I found a 4 hour blind review of switches which while stupefying to watch clearly indicates the D-Link 8 ports does very well including against those with linear power supply. I will reference later.
7. Your approach to this issue is direct straight forward overwhelming attack-a la Stallone.
It is not the weekend yet and you have already conducted voluminous research/have both models under roof/dissembled and are getting ready to conduct listening tests. Very impressive!
8. To be continued…

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #548 of 610
Yes, not the best idea. Routers are generally noisy blighters so sharing the same power risks underming the galvanic isolation benefit of using switches. And all things equal a lower noise power supply (like an LPS or a low noise SMPS like one of Ifi's) on a switch will let your downstream streamer perform better / your system sound better. Try both by all means, but even if you don't hear much of a difference now the router-as-switch-power-source will become an unnecessary performance drag/bottleneck later as you improve your system over time.

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #549 of 610
Coupla issues:

1. According to Amazon the D-Link 108 you are using has been replaced by a new model. Cheaper.
3. Their product information does indicate a larger buffer in the 8 vs 5 port.
5. Why not try both power sources?

1. Cheaper?
2. What kind of buffer? Does it matter?
3. Been trying both, just wanted to avoid any rookie mistakes up front that'd have me re-testing things later :tired_face:
Yes, not the best idea. Routers are generally noisy blighters so sharing the same power risks underming the galvanic isolation benefit of using switches. And all things equal a lower noise power supply (like an LPS or a low noise SMPS like one of Ifi's) on a switch will let your downstream streamer perform better / your system sound better. Try both by all means, but even if you don't hear much of a difference now the router-as-switch-power-source will become an unnecessary performance drag/bottleneck later as you improve your system over time.

Same LPS powering the mini router and the switch, wasn't sure if that power being passed thru gets 'contaminated' in the process, or a convenient way of daisy chaining the power supply. I'll probably do it the old fashioned way, it's just a pain since the cable is like 15cm and I have to cram everything together on this rack.

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #552 of 610
1. Cheaper?
2. What kind of buffer? Does it matter?
3. Been trying both, just wanted to avoid any rookie mistakes up front that'd have me re-testing things later :tired_face:

Same LPS powering the mini router and the switch, wasn't sure if that power being passed thru gets 'contaminated' in the process, or a convenient way of daisy chaining the power supply. I'll probably do it the old fashioned way, it's just a pain since the cable is like 15cm and I have to cram everything together on this rack.
I see you have a Topping P50, nice, I have one too powering a pair of cheap AliX fibre media converters which in turn feed an IFi LAN iSilencer.

Router > Netgear GS108E > FMCs pair > iFi LAN iSilencer > LHY SW-8 > Server / Zen Stream / R26 LAN input

Yes strictly speaking I should follow my own advice and use a completely separate LPS for each FMC but it sounds much better than the $2 SMPS they came with so will do for now. Btw a Xangsane pure silver DC cable (USB>DC 2.1) added to the downstream FMC brought a surprisingly big further sonic improvement. I'd heard folk talk about improvements from DC cables but was a little sceptical so never bothered with this for over a year after I got the P50. I'm not sceptical any more. Not to say I'd use one on a router, more effect and bang for buck downstream closer to (or better yet, feeding) your streamer.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #553 of 610
Lvivske,

File #1-shot of 4 hour blind test of Switches from Alpha Audio. Tested D-Link DGS 108. Allows location of video.

File #2-shot of Amazon “newer” 22.95 D-Link-DGS 108GL recommended to replace older DGS-108 with ports numbers below.

File #3-the D-Link DGS 108 Specification pages for the switch you and I (hopefully) purchased. The comparison appears the same except for the size of the buffer.

Very interested in the listening test.

IFI-Please strike anything inappropriate.

Attachments

• IMG_4671.png
    IMG_4671.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4675.png
    IMG_4675.png
    598.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4667.png
    IMG_4667.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4668.png
    IMG_4668.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4669.png
    IMG_4669.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4670.png
    IMG_4670.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #554 of 610
Lvivske,

File #1-shot of 4 hour blind test of Switches from Alpha Audio. Tested D-Link DGS 108. Allows location of video.

File #2-shot of Amazon “newer” 22.95 D-Link-DGS 108GL recommended to replace older DGS-108 with ports numbers below.

File #3-the D-Link DGS 108 Specification pages for the switch you and I (hopefully) purchased. The comparison appears the same except for the size of the buffer.

Very interested in the listening test.

IFI-Please strike anything inappropriate.

ohh i see it now, 64kb more ram buffer

I looked at the GL but the difference appeared that it lacked the smart power management features the standard had (and also was plastic?) so just opted for the one that was more electrically efficient (all things being equal)

(and yeah sorry ifi, dont know if we're shot out of scope here, I was doing this test to pair with the Purifier

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #555 of 610
All files above are open to public access and provided to guide reader in reviewing issues related to this quest.

For me this switch leads to a new IFI LAN silencer which is directly placed in my ZS’s Ethernet slot. Going to test it.

Want a clean a signal going in as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back