iFi Audio IPurifier3.0
Feb 3, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #361 of 442
@iFi audio I already have an ifi iSilencer+ and a decent USB cable. I am thinking of doing this now: PC > ifi iSilencer+ > USB A to B > ifi iPurifier3 > Topping D70s
Is it necessary to have an iPurifier even when I am already using an iSilencer+? I am currently not having any noise issues.

Feb 3, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #362 of 442
@iFi audio I already have an ifi iSilencer+ and a decent USB cable. I am thinking of doing this now: PC > ifi iSilencer+ > USB A to B > ifi iPurifier3 > Topping D70s
Is it necessary to have an iPurifier even when I am already using an iSilencer+? I am currently not having any noise issues.
The Silencer+ does different functionality than the ipurifier. The ipurifier does what the isilencer+ does + about 2 more functions. So if you have the ipurifier, the isilencer+ will not be needed. And the ipurifier3 will probably give you better sound than the iSilencer+ on its own.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #363 of 442
In my experience, adding both will improve the sound. The iSilencer in my experience helps smooth out highs a bit while ipurifier adds a bit bottom end texture and impact

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #364 of 442
The Silencer+ does different functionality than the ipurifier. The ipurifier does what the isilencer+ does + about 2 more functions. So if you have the ipurifier, the isilencer+ will not be needed. And the ipurifier3 will probably give you better sound than the iSilencer+ on its own.
Yes, I am aware that it has extra features and the likes but mainly, I am concerned if its really worth it to add an iPurifier when I already have the silencer.
Also @iFi audio is it fair to then say that the iPurifier3.0 is like a mini DDC at the USB port of my DAC?

In my experience, adding both will improve the sound. The iSilencer in my experience helps smooth out highs a bit while ipurifier adds a bit bottom end texture and impact
Thanks for your description of the sound. For me the isilencer+ made my bass tighter by a tiny bit but my highs remained untouched. I watched a review that described the iPurifier3 as "picking up a seashell by the beach and blowing away the sand". Would you say the same in your experience?

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #365 of 442
The best way to detect any differences/improvements would be to use the product for a week or two, then unplug it and see what happens :wink:
Absolutely.

I bought one of these, as a b’day gift to myself, a little over a year ago.
Was so great that friends have upgraded to ‘the same’.

Usage scenarios has been ’many’ and/or ’multiple’ cases of ‘best purchase (bang for buck)’ as a system upgrade - whether it be the home two channel stereo, the den gaming PC, the home theatre, or portable music players (especially phones)..

The easiest way I found to detect a difference was an example in a video game (and I have given this example ‘quite a few times’ (stop me if you’ve heard this one :) )…

In Demon Souls, the manta rays (flying ‘fish’) throw a bolt that has a ‘glass shattering sound’. It sounded horrible and stood out as the worst sound effect in the entire game…
When running through the iPurifier3, the transient speed is obviously tightened, the sound becomes perfectly glassy, and sounds fantastic.. The air and space are certainly improved, and when considering the ‘whole game sound’, the minuscule echo information found when walking through tight corridors and entering larger chambers; all were considerably improved.

In other games, the dynamics of the music soundtrack was ‘fixed’ (in a few games where the soundtrack had felt highly compressed),.. now sounded CD quality; also referred to as “transparent”.

I hear lots of people say that phones are ‘power isolated’ and do not need these; my testing certainly goes against that theory…
Using a range of flagship phones, mostly useless as ‘being a good transport’, using the iPurifier part, the sound is certainly improved.. (such like what inserting a ‘half decent (or better)’ USB cable in line (for those that have experienced what that can do for ‘more pure music’).

The science behind these is sound,.. just so long as we take the fact that USB is passed down a cable in the form of ANALOGUE (a wavelength), anything that can help with the purity of the timing, will do ‘just like I described/experienced in Demon Souls’; improvements based on the packets landing in the RIGHT point in the time domain. (otherwise transients, as just ‘one example’ will be damaged (either extended or missed); these changes are subtle, but when we are familiar with our equipment, they can seem ‘very significant’.

For me that Demon Souls zone with the Manta Rays was a zone I typically wanted to run through ‘super quickly’ (to avoid the sound of the ‘glassy bolts breaking’), after adding the iPurifier inline, those bolts were properly tamed, fitted in perfectly as the studio engineer had no doubt mastered, and became my favorite zone in the game (easy power leveling for those inclined)

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #366 of 442
Yes, I am aware that it has extra features and the likes but mainly, I am concerned if its really worth it to add an iPurifier when I already have the silencer.
Also @iFi audio is it fair to then say that the iPurifier3.0 is like a mini DDC at the USB port of my DAC?

Thanks for your description of the sound. For me the isilencer+ made my bass tighter by a tiny bit but my highs remained untouched. I watched a review that described the iPurifier3 as "picking up a seashell by the beach and blowing away the sand". Would you say the same in your experience?

Really, it boils down to your own personal preference and listening tests on this. My experience mirrors @whitedragem . I noticed better, cleaner highs and more space around the instruments with more defined outlines with the iPurifier3 (no iSilencer+ in the chain). The bass also got tighter and cleaner, with vocals also taking a step forward and sounding more natural. One really good song to test this with is Guitar Man by Bread, IMO.

My experience with the iSilencer+ with the iPurifier3 is less definite. I *think* it brings up the vocals a touch and everything *seems* a *touch* brighter and cleaner and louder but it could be my imagination. Certainly less drastic than going to the iPurifier3 from the iSilencer+ by itself.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #367 of 442
So... I'm having difficulty choosing between the type A or B of the ipurifier 3. I am currently using a dragonfly cobalt and the ideal setup would be to NEVER remove the dragontail OTG, this is for switching between going to work and using my phone, and once back at home i would only have to plug in the typc C OTG to any typc C port on my PC (currently though the crappy Baseus type A to C.

This is a audiophile nightmare for me to choose right now. By sheer lazyness i would rather use a cheep AF Baseus type A to C (No.2 below) that would potentially ruins my chain of signal unless anyone here can convince me otherwise. But by that logic (of "adapter ruins the signal path", the less the better), would picking the ipurifier type B thus using the included type B to A adapter would be the same (Nos. 5, 6, 7 below) ?

I want my purchase to be future proof but DAC/AMP makers keep choosing type A and B for input at random making my head hurts.

UB2.jpg

Feb 4, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #368 of 442
So... I'm having difficulty choosing between the type A or B of the ipurifier 3. I am currently using a dragonfly cobalt and the ideal setup would be to NEVER remove the dragontail OTG, this is for switching between going to work and using my phone, and once back at home i would only have to plug in the typc C OTG to any typc C port on my PC (currently though the crappy Baseus type A to C.

This is a audiophile nightmare for me to choose right now. By sheer lazyness i would rather use a cheep AF Baseus type A to C (No.2 below) that would potentially ruins my chain of signal unless anyone here can convince me otherwise. But by that logic (of "adapter ruins the signal path", the less the better), would picking the ipurifier type B thus using the included type B to A adapter would be the same (Nos. 5, 6, 7 below) ?

I want my purchase to be future proof but DAC/AMP makers keep choosing type A and B for input at random making my head hurts.

UB2.jpg
I bought both iPurifier3 designs.
maybe to help weigh up the options- do you know that only one of the two iPurifier3s’ has two adaptors ‘in the box’. (very useful)

Feb 4, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #369 of 442

Can be something like that but this depends also on your gear or setup. But as for my experience, it just adds a bit of texture and impact on the low end.

Feb 4, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #370 of 442
I bought both iPurifier3 designs.
maybe to help weigh up the options- do you know that only one of the two iPurifier3s’ has two adaptors ‘in the box’. (very useful)
Yes I did know about the adapters included, but that's the problems right ? I cant find a post confirming the quality of the included adapters. It would sucks if using any printer-grade adapter would negate any perceivable improvement from the ipurifier itself. To my understanding the ipurifer should preferably be plugged directly to any DAC/amp without any adapter in-between, and usb adapter's quality by nature is questionable. Although these are the included from iFi themselves but I have the feeling that they are their the sake of versatility and are not recommended (The recommended case would be buying the correct usb type lol). Sure I can use a high quality USB type A to B cable from AQ/wireworld/supra etc.. (see use case No.4) but there is not a lot information about usb adapter to read on is there ? Basically have to make a blind buy to test the adapters included.

Feb 4, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #371 of 442
Really, it boils down to your own personal preference and listening tests on this. My experience mirrors @whitedragem . I noticed better, cleaner highs and more space around the instruments with more defined outlines with the iPurifier3 (no iSilencer+ in the chain). The bass also got tighter and cleaner, with vocals also taking a step forward and sounding more natural. One really good song to test this with is Guitar Man by Bread, IMO.

My experience with the iSilencer+ with the iPurifier3 is less definite. I *think* it brings up the vocals a touch and everything *seems* a *touch* brighter and cleaner and louder but it could be my imagination. Certainly less drastic than going to the iPurifier3 from the iSilencer+ by itself.
I like your description of the iPurifier3 perhaps I may actually get it and return it if I don't like it.
Can be something like that but this depends also on your gear or setup. But as for my experience, it just adds a bit of texture and impact on the low end.
I see. So in your use case it feels like an audio filter?

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #372 of 442
Yes I did know about the adapters included, but that's the problems right ? I cant find a post confirming the quality of the included adapters. It would sucks if using any printer-grade adapter would negate any perceivable improvement from the ipurifier itself. To my understanding the ipurifer should preferably be plugged directly to any DAC/amp without any adapter in-between, and usb adapter's quality by nature is questionable. Although these are the included from iFi themselves but I have the feeling that they are their the sake of versatility and are not recommended (The recommended case would be buying the correct usb type lol). Sure I can use a high quality USB type A to B cable from AQ/wireworld/supra etc.. (see use case No.4) but there is not a lot information about usb adapter to read on is there ? Basically have to make a blind buy to test the adapters included.
Some of my ‘use cases’ NEED to use/add TWO adapters (to either end), and I am happy to report, still lionshare of goodness to be found (literally if it is held back in anyway it hasn’t ever registered on my radar.. ).
I do believe that what the iPurifier does is significant (potentially in part to the fact that it actually uses power, too). So significant that the improvement carries on even in a less than ideal (theoretical) scenario.

I do feel that the less than 10cm nature of the cable would probably mean something to anyone who has a wide range of backgrounds to understand how all the ‘fields’ (pun intended) tie together (be it electron ‘flow’, or RF coupling… etc).

WARNING: those casually reading- the ‘big changes in sound we are talking about’ (When talking cables/purifiers etc) is nothing as obvious as the sound differences between two different speakers. Context IS needed.
For a finalised system, the changes are very worthwhile, especially to allow the system to do its absolute best.
Once a user has exhausted typical ‘upgrade’ paths (like ‘are you using a dedicated power amplifier’, “No, my headphones go ‘loud enough’!”; ‘umm Amplifiers can be useful for ‘better control of the drivers’, not just ‘more power’..),when a user has the Transport=>DAC=>Preamp=>poweramp=>headphones(and pads/tips) or speakers (and room tuning) being sorted, possibly with some cables swapped around to net a better sound (testing required/YMMV), then stuff like power regen and filters are the best change to continute to contribute towards musical excellence. To be fair some people aren’t looking at the ‘small stuff’, and think that if two playback chains both allow them to hear Michael Buble (no stigma/burn intended), then they are ‘good enough‘ (even if one of them doesn’t allow any instrument placement in 3D space)..

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #373 of 442

UB2.jpg

I have both but in 2 versions: type A iPurifier2 and a type B iPurifier3.

If you're still on the fence, pairing a type A iP3 with something like this (when needed) might work for you: https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter

Unlike cheap adapters that might rob transparency, the Uptone has no internal wiring at all. Looks a bit strange but I have one and can attest to how well it maintains audio quality. You can even disable 5V power using the little switch and transmit data only. A bit overpriced at $35 but def cheaper than buying a 2nd iP3.

uptoneUSB1.jpg

uptoneUSB2.jpg

Feb 22, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #375 of 442
Planning to buy a combo of Idefender and Ipurifier. So having a bunch of USB dongles stick out of my PC motherboard feels very flimsy, so i was thinking of buying a few IFI otg type C sandwich between the USBs to increase flexibility. So, with the good-ish build quality of IFI OTG cable, it can be a glorified usb extension to prevent breaking, sounds good ?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back