iFi audio iPower X - The Official Thread
Jun 28, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #346 of 505
Got everything together and it sounds awesome!

Jun 28, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #347 of 505
Got mine from Amazon as well, and came the same way. And didn't sound any better than my wallwart so far
What power cable are you using with the iPower Elite? Are you plugging it into a power conditioner or directly into the wall?

Jun 28, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #349 of 505
Stock powercable and straight into the wall. I'm at a loss as I want it to sound better
Well, as long as you're ordering through Amazon and can use their 30-day return policy, I'd suggest you go all in and get the iFi SupaNova active power cable to go with the iPower Elite -- especially if you're powering your DAC straight from the wall with no other power conditioning/surge protection.

I consider the iPower Elite to be half a component that the SupaNova cable completes. I've suggested to iFi that they should sell them as a package deal. With both, you get a lower noise floor, cleaner sound, and better bass. Plus, you get built-in surge protection by adding the SupaNova. If they sound terrible together in your system, then you know you've maxed out the capabilities of the iPower Elite and can return them to Amazon and go with something else.

EDIT: Huh, I see that iFi raised the price of the SupaNova from $349 to $499 since I bought my last one last year. I stand by my recommendation, but it's not a slam dunk of a good deal like it used to be.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #350 of 505
600.00 investment to beat a wallwart is a tough sell, i mean to beat it I shouldn't need anything... Since it's a cheapo. Maybe I have a defective unit came with no wrap.

I have a M2 Tech Vandergraf Mkii for my Young IV and was previously used for Mkiii, was looking for a cheaper alternative for a second system so wanted to try Elite but so far it's not working out

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #351 of 505
600.00 investment to beat a wallwart is a tough sell, i mean to beat it I shouldn't need anything... Since it's a cheapo. Maybe I have a defective unit came with no wrap.

I have a M2 Tech Vandergraf Mkii for my Young IV and was previously used for Mkiii, was looking for a cheaper alternative for a second system so wanted to try Elite but so far it's not working out
So you bought an $1100 power supply upgrade from M2 tech for one system and you think a $600 upgrade for the other system is a worse deal? :smile_phones:

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #352 of 505
So you bought an $1100 power supply upgrade from M2 tech for one system and you think a $600 upgrade for the other system is a worse deal? :smile_phones:

Haa well I'd see your point but I didn't spend 1100, more like 600 lol. But I see your point for sure. I'm wondering if it doesn't need to be broken in, as I'm finding it sounding alittle better now for some reason.

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #353 of 505
Haa well I'd see your point but I didn't spend 1100, more like 600 lol. But I see your point for sure. I'm wondering if it doesn't need to be broken in, as I'm finding it sounding alittle better now for some reason.
Yeah, give it some time.

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #354 of 505

I hate, err, I mean, love this hobby....

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #355 of 505
I hate, err, I mean, love this hobby....
Honestly, people really underestimate the impact that improving your power supply has on equipment. Unless you have a dedicated line in your setup and/or a utility company providing reliable power (summer brownouts, anyone?), it's worth dedicating money to surge protection, power conditioning, and grounding.

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #357 of 505
Honestly, people really underestimate the impact that improving your power supply has on equipment. Unless you have a dedicated line in your setup and/or a utility company providing reliable power (summer brownouts, anyone?), it's worth dedicating money to surge protection, power conditioning, and grounding.

For my Volot I use a Topaz ISO I need to find another one I guess

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #358 of 505
Sometimes it feels like I'm looking for problems, so I can spend
more money to fix it 😆. I think I should just quite, and enjoy some music lol
Bingo!

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #359 of 505

Users who are viewing this thread

Back