iFi audio iPower - universal Ultra-Low Noise AC/DC adapter
Jun 11, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #31 of 328
Can't wait to try it on the iPhono ....... still waiting
frown.gif

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #33 of 328
Just received 2 of these (iPower) for 9V/1.5A. I am using one with my iUSBPower and want to use the second one for my Wyred4Sound Remedy Re-clocker.

The W4S unit accepts 9V 0.2A PSU (says that 12V can be used, as well) with 2.5mm barrel and (+) is on the inside of the connector (positive polarity).

Unfortunately, the iPower came with no documentation and neither the wall-wart itself, nor anything I can find on-line, indicates the polarity of the stock connector on the iPower (really annoying).

Finally, there are 4 additional connector/adaptors in the box (which is nice, by the way), but also nothing to indicate if any of these reverse polarity.

I'd rather NOT fry my W4S, so I am hoping someone knows the default polarity of the iPower (and, from what I can tell, all iFi Audio products that use their PSUs).

Thanks, in advance...

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #35 of 328
Mine arrived today. It did not work with my SMSL M8 DAC, for some reason. Tested it with my multimeter, and with red + probe down center it read 9.4V, so that should answer your question - this was for the widest plug tip BTW. Stock A/C adapter was around 8.7V I think.
Only one plug fit on the M8 DC input, so maybe it wasn't connecting right. I've opened a ticket with iFi.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #36 of 328
  Mine arrived today. It did not work with my SMSL M8 DAC, for some reason. Tested it with my multimeter, and with red + probe down center it read 9.4V, so that should answer your question - this was for the widest plug tip BTW. Stock A/C adapter was around 8.7V I think.
Only one plug fit on the M8 DC input, so maybe it wasn't connecting right. I've opened a ticket with iFi.

I heard from iFi Audio, confirming your result (i.e. positive tip), but the support person wanted confirmation, so I was waiting to post.

Not sure if I will also see any documentation on the remaining tips.

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #37 of 328

I heard from iFi Audio, confirming your result (i.e. positive tip), but the support person wanted confirmation, so I was waiting to post.

Not sure if I will also see any documentation on the remaining tips.

From iFi Audio today:

Dear Kenneth,

Confirmed with our team that it is centre positive.

Also the volts must stay the same but amps can be lower.

Example:
  1. 9v / 1.5a = iPower
  2. 9v / 1a = A device

The iPower will work.

9v / 1.5a = iPower
9v / 2a = B device

The iPower won't work.

We would advise you to contact the manufacturer of your device to 100% confirm the specifications before use.

Hope this helps.

Any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #38 of 328
I just received my 9V iPower yesterday. I'm using it with the iUSB. Ever since I first plugged in the iPower, it has made a very high pitched EEEEEE! noise. I tried it in other outlets in my house, and heard the same noise. The pitch of the noise does vary according to the electric draw on the iPower. For example: the noise pitch when I'm playing music over USB is different from when it is just sitting idle. The noise is easily audible to me from half way across the room. The noise doesn't seem to affect the function of the iPower, it just irritates me whenever I'm in the room.
Does anyone else hear their 9V iPower making the EEEEEEE! noise?
I'd like to find out if I just have a noisy iPower that needs exchanged or if they all make the noise.
Almost forgot to mention, the original iFi power adapter that came with the iUSB is silent.

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #39 of 328
I just received my 9V iPower yesterday. I'm using it with the iUSB. Ever since I first plugged in the iPower, it has made a very high pitched EEEEEE! noise. I tried it in other outlets in my house, and heard the same noise. The pitch of the noise does vary according to the electric draw on the iPower. For example: the noise pitch when I'm playing music over USB is different from when it is just sitting idle. The noise is easily audible to me from half way across the room. The noise doesn't seem to affect the function of the iPower, it just irritates me whenever I'm in the room.
Does anyone else hear their 9V iPower making the EEEEEEE! noise?
I'd like to find out if I just have a noisy iPower that needs exchanged or if they all make the noise.
Almost forgot to mention, the original iFi power adapter that came with the iUSB is silent.

The first thing I'll check if whether you have the barrel connector in the correct configuration. It should be + on the insider and - on the outside.

Secondly, I won't try to use the iPower adapter again but instead contact iFi immediately

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #40 of 328
The tip I tried was + on the inside. I assume the others would be the same but I have not tested those yet. Anyway, it matches the polarity on my SMSL M8 DAC power adapter.
There is no high pitched whining with my unit, or any other sound.
I got a response to my support ticket, asking for the serial # and to confirm my DAC DC input polarity. Apparently it *should* work - "unless the plug adapter plate is fully inserted and latched, turned on it should just work." I think they meant "unless... ...is NOT fully inserted and latched, turned on it should just work". Even so, mine is just a loose plug-in fit, and there is no "latch" mechanism as far as I can tell. I wish there was a manual for this device. I asked them to clarify the "latch" part.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #42 of 328

From iFi Audio today:

Dear Kenneth,

Confirmed with our team that it is centre positive.

Also the volts must stay the same but amps can be lower.

Example:
  1. 9v / 1.5a = iPower
  2. 9v / 1a = A device

The iPower will work.

9v / 1.5a = iPower
9v / 2a = B device

The iPower won't work.

We would advise you to contact the manufacturer of your device to 100% confirm the specifications before use.

Hope this helps.

Any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

Will the 9V iPower work with this item? 
http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?tech=cdboxs&cat=source&lang=en

It says the original power supply outputs 9v/2.000mA but that the unit itself draws 
300 - 1.500mA so I am a bit unsure. It would make sense that it could work just fine. Any thoughts?

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #43 of 328
  Will the 9V iPower work with this item? 
http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?tech=cdboxs&cat=source&lang=en

It says the original power supply outputs 9v/2.000mA but that the unit itself draws 
300 - 1.500mA so I am a bit unsure. It would make sense that it could work just fine. Any thoughts?

In general, the voltage needs to match (i.e. 9v means 9v), but the power supply needs to provide "at least" the required amperage. So, if the PSU is rated to 2A, but the device only draws 300 - 1.5 mA, you are just fine. You only get into trouble if the device needs to draw more than 2A, which is not the case in your example.

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #44 of 328
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?rprea&1438101017&&&/Review:-iFi-iPhono-Preamplifier

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #45 of 328
  The tip I tried was + on the inside. I assume the others would be the same but I have not tested those yet. Anyway, it matches the polarity on my SMSL M8 DAC power adapter.
There is no high pitched whining with my unit, or any other sound.
I got a response to my support ticket, asking for the serial # and to confirm my DAC DC input polarity. Apparently it *should* work - "unless the plug adapter plate is fully inserted and latched, turned on it should just work." I think they meant "unless... ...is NOT fully inserted and latched, turned on it should just work". Even so, mine is just a loose plug-in fit, and there is no "latch" mechanism as far as I can tell. I wish there was a manual for this device. I asked them to clarify the "latch" part.

So does that mean iPower would not work on SMSL M8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back