iFi audio - Introducing the ZEN DAC Signature V2 and ZEN CAN Signature HFM, Perfectly Balanced As All Things Should Be!
Dec 13, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #121 of 220
@iFi audio : For clarity sake's please:

1) SIGNATURE ZEN CAN comes with improved caps and design over widely available older vanilla ZEN CAN?

2) 6XX & HFM SIGNATURE ZEN CAN's are perfectly identical apart from the built-EQ that's activated if you turn it on? So w/o the 6XX/HFM feature turned on, they will both sound perfectly identical on whatever headphone?

Thank you,

1) Yes, the design is improved over the vanilla Zen CAN.

2) Correct, the curve does not change from headphone to headphone.

Got the ZEN Signature Hfm Set recently. Of my 3 Hifimans HE-500, HE-560 and Edition X I think the Zen Can Signature Hfm has the best synergy with Edition X, I am really enjoying this pairing.

Been using both the Zen DAC Signature V2 and SMSL VMV D1se. Both work well in this pairing but are different sounding. The iFi DAC seems to have their BurrBrown house sound to my ears, i have the iFi Micro iDSD silver and plan to do some comparisons later. While the SMSL DAC sounds smoother, bit more buttery and relaxed. Havent decided which I prefer with the ZEN Can Hfm and Edition X. And maybe I never will, cant always pick a winner
:thinking:

Not running balanced yet throughout the chain, need some new cables and adapters.

D1SE_ZEN_Can_EditionX.jpeg

Hey, thanks!

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #122 of 220
Correct, the curve does not change from headphone to headphone.

OK thanks but to be perfectly clear both 6XX & HFM will sound absolutely identical if you don't activate the EQ button? I have yet to understand how you can claim that an EQ curve can match whatever HFM can such as HE4XX or HE6SE or HE500. Marketing at work eh?

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #123 of 220
OK thanks but to be perfectly clear both 6XX & HFM will sound absolutely identical if you don't activate the EQ button? I have yet to understand how you can claim that an EQ curve can match whatever HFM can such as HE4XX or HE6SE or HE500. Marketing at work eh?

We don't claim that at all, I think you misunderstood. We never claim that the headphones will sound identical as a result of the EQ curve or with the amp in general.

They're different headphones and will sound differently over any source.

The EQ curve is built to be best matched with the 6xx and HE4 series. Other headphones will have success with the EQ curve, but at varying levels.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #124 of 220
We don't claim that at all, I think you misunderstood. We never claim that the headphones will sound identical as a result of the EQ curve.

The EQ curve is built to be best matched with the 6xx and HE4 series. Other headphones will have success with the EQ curve, but at varying levels.

You still dodged my question lol but I presume english isn't your native tongue and offishal marketing blablering is as clear as it gets: https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-can-signature-hfm/
This custom ActivEQ setting is expertly tuned across the entire frequency response curve to bring out the best in these already remarkable headphones.
The ZEN CAN Signature HFM features an ActivEQ finely tuned towards HIFIMAN’s planar headphones.

Implying that this EQ curve will magically improve any Hifiman ortho regardless, quite bold if I may.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #125 of 220
You still dodged my question lol but I presume english isn't your native tongue and your marketing blablering is as clear as it gets: https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-can-signature-hfm/

Implying that this EQ curve will magically improve any Hifiman can regardless, V-shaped I presume?

English is my native language. I would encourage you to read my response again.

If you need it again a second time, worded differently to perhaps help you understand:

The EQ curve is matched to best for the 6xx and HE4 series.

It has a varying level of success with other Sennheiser and HiFiMan headphones because they usually share similar qualities of sound we find that can all be improved with this curve.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #126 of 220
English is my native language. I would encourage you to read my response again.

If you need it again a second time, worded differently to perhaps help you understand:

The EQ curve is matched to best for the 6xx and HE4 series.

It has a varying level of success with other Sennheiser and HiFiMan headphones because they usually share similar qualities of sound we find that can all be improved with this curve.

OK thanks but to be perfectly clear both 6XX & HFM will sound absolutely identical on whatever headphone if you don't activate the EQ button?

Worded differently to perhaps help you understand: the only thing that differs between 6XX & HFM versions is the EQ curve?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #127 of 220
OK thanks but to be perfectly clear both 6XX & HFM will sound absolutely identical on whatever headphone if you don't activate the EQ button?

Worded differently to perhaps help you understand: the only thing that differs between 6XX & HFM versions is the EQ curve?

Yes. The internal amps are the same with the EQ button off and do not sound any differently for 6xx and HFM.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #129 of 220
Alright I give up asking again, thank you for your efforts
Not quite sure what is getting lost in the wording but here is a graph of the HFM version:

Zen%2BCan%2BHFM%2BButton%2Bmeasurements.jpg

The red line is completely flat, which is without any of the buttons pressed.

The 6XX version, without any of the buttons pressed, will give the exact same straight red line.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #130 of 220

The power adapters of the 2 versions of the amp are different. So I don't think you will get an identical sound from the 6xx ver vs the hfm ver lol

Dec 14, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #131 of 220
Not quite sure what is getting lost in the wording but here is a graph of the HFM version:

The 6XX version, without any of the buttons pressed, will give the exact same straight red line.
It's a pity iFi didn't include

It's a pity iFi didn't include the regular X-Bass on these Signature-Zen-Cans too, as that extra treble will make a number of popular headphones just that bit too sharp.

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #133 of 220
Hi @Sebastien Chiu !
I heard that IfI is going to release more than 10 new models of the Zen Signature line. For example, there is already a set with settings for Meze 99 (I have not seen this in stores).
Can you reveal a trade secret (just a little bit!), and say: is Ifi planning to release a Zen Signature set for the Fostex TH900?
Thanks!
PS Sorry for my English))

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #134 of 220
Hi @Sebastien Chiu !
I heard that IfI is going to release more than 10 new models of the Zen Signature line. For example, there is already a set with settings for Meze 99 (I have not seen this in stores).
Can you reveal a trade secret (just a little bit!), and say: is Ifi planning to release a Zen Signature set for the Fostex TH900?
Thanks!
PS Sorry for my English))

I, unfortunately, can't speak on future products in any capacity before they are officially launched.

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #135 of 220
I, unfortunately, can't speak on future products in any capacity before they are officially launched.
Yes, I expected such an answer. This is clear.
I'm just thinking: wait for the version for Fostex or buy HFM now...
Okay, let's see what annual bonus Santa Claus (boss) brings me, and I'll make a decision :))

Happy new year everyone! Good luck, love and joy to everyone in the new 2022! Let everything be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back