iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Apr 2, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #1,368 of 2,194
Bought ifi idsd signature recent and love the sound, this little device can replace my desktop rig and sound even better which is truly mental considering the size.Would like to know if I can safely use an ifi ipower low noise dc power supply 5v/2.5A to charge the unit all the time, or another 5v phone charger instead of usb port from my laptop.This would help me because I don’t have two free USB ports available, so it’s either used for charge or for data since it’s only one port free at a time.Tried with a phone charger and another USB-C cable, works, but is it safe for the unit and battery?

About Tidal MQA, tidal app (software) does the first unfolding right, then why I can’t get higher sample rate than 96khz with idsd signature, is this normal? I get 24/96khz with my non-mqa renderer dac too, the renderer should do the second unfold up to 192khz or whatever, correct?Firmware on my unit is 5.3, default one, front led is purple/magenta color while playing master tunes and checked the sample rate on Supertramp album – Crime of the century called to 192khz from Tidal, and ifi usb hd audio control panel shows me 96khz max, on other songs 88.2khz, 48khz, but never more than 96khz.Checked also on other songs known to be higher bit-rate than 96khz from Tidal, still 96khz is max displayed on ifi control panel.Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #1,369 of 2,194
I've got the Signature a week ago as a replacement for my Black Label. My first impressions are very mixed.
+Signature has much more details everywhere. Lows are detained a bit but saving their depth.
-Black Label has a much wider scene, but muddier bass. And I can notice that Black Label has a more layered sound.
-Signature has a weary sound which becomes better with IEMatch applied.

I use Campfire Cascade with 4.4mm ALO SCX 8 cable and 4.4->6.3mm adapter for BL.
That's very hard to decide which one I should keep... I really liked details on lows with Signature but I'm not ready to sacrifice with the scene.

Is there any hardware hack to add more details to BL or increase Signature's scene? Like iPurifier or iGalvanic?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,371 of 2,194
I forgot one more thing. Can Signature charge same time it's connected to USB via digital output as well as BL? Or I always need to use two separate ports on my laptop?

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #1,372 of 2,194
I forgot one more thing. Can Signature charge same time it's connected to USB via digital output as well as BL? Or I always need to use two separate ports on my laptop?
Not really. Mine just died today in tgat exact configuration... separate charging circuitry all together.

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,373 of 2,194
Not really. Mine just died today in tgat exact configuration... separate charging circuitry all together.
Sorry, didn't get that. I've been using a single port on my laptop for my BL. But Signature's battery dies in one day.

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #1,374 of 2,194
It is said that this is for bit-perfect, but it seems not handling MQA?

Can you double-check your select your soundcard with the ASIO protocol as the playback device?

I'm not sure if this is out of date, but I would recommend following these steps and going through the process here:

https://www.meridian-audio.info/public/foobar_for_mqa[4999].pdf

The only selection where it shouldn't be playing MQA is if you have the GTO firmware installed.

Stupid question...

Do I risk any damage by connecting 2 HP at the same time? one on the 6.35 and another on the 4.4?

Thx

Yes, you can. Although you won't risk damage, I do believe the battery drains faster.

Bought ifi idsd signature recent and love the sound, this little device can replace my desktop rig and sound even better which is truly mental considering the size.Would like to know if I can safely use an ifi ipower low noise dc power supply 5v/2.5A to charge the unit all the time, or another 5v phone charger instead of usb port from my laptop.This would help me because I don’t have two free USB ports available, so it’s either used for charge or for data since it’s only one port free at a time.Tried with a phone charger and another USB-C cable, works, but is it safe for the unit and battery?

About Tidal MQA, tidal app (software) does the first unfolding right, then why I can’t get higher sample rate than 96khz with idsd signature, is this normal? I get 24/96khz with my non-mqa renderer dac too, the renderer should do the second unfold up to 192khz or whatever, correct?Firmware on my unit is 5.3, default one, front led is purple/magenta color while playing master tunes and checked the sample rate on Supertramp album – Crime of the century called to 192khz from Tidal, and ifi usb hd audio control panel shows me 96khz max, on other songs 88.2khz, 48khz, but never more than 96khz.Checked also on other songs known to be higher bit-rate than 96khz from Tidal, still 96khz is max displayed on ifi control panel.Thanks in advance!

RE: charging, you can use the iPower with its USB C adapter to charge the device.

RE: not playing above 96 khz, are you on Mac or PC? Do you have our USB drivers installed?

Is there any hardware hack to add more details to BL or increase Signature's scene? Like iPurifier or iGalvanic?

Thanks for your feedback! No, iPurifier or iGalvanic will not dramatically change the signature of the device itself.

Sorry, didn't get that. I've been using a single port on my laptop for my BL. But Signature's battery dies in one day.

The Signature does NOT charge via USB. You need to use the USB C port and USB port if you want to charge and use it at the same time.

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #1,375 of 2,194

Is your charging station inputting more power than the Signature is draining?

Apr 5, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #1,376 of 2,194
RE: charging, you can use the iPower with its USB C adapter to charge the device.

RE: not playing above 96 khz, are you on Mac or PC? Do you have our USB drivers installed?
Good, I'll do that for charge then. :relaxed:

I'm on PC, windows 10 up to date and I have ifi drivers installed, this one Windows USB 2.0 Drivers – Current Driver: 3.2.

Thanks for answer.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #1,377 of 2,194
Can you double-check your select your soundcard with the ASIO protocol as the playback device?

I'm not sure if this is out of date, but I would recommend following these steps and going through the process here:

https://www.meridian-audio.info/public/foobar_for_mqa[4999].pdf

The only selection where it shouldn't be playing MQA is if you have the GTO firmware installed.
No luck, I read the document when I was playing around for MQA,
I have v7.0 firmware now, I had installed GTO version, but now I am back on v7.0.
I don't care about MQA, otherwise I would have chosen Diablo.

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #1,378 of 2,194
Is your charging station inputting more power than the Signature is draining?
Good question. It is 5V/2.4A. I use the same device to charge all my USB C devices on my work desk. (one at a time, of course)

BTW. I hope you guys don't kill the Xbass/3D switches on the next releases. Diablo and Neo left those out, but they are a freaking good feature that makes a huge difference compared to other amp/dacs.

PS.: I only use IEMs and ECO mode and low volume, so I guess 5V should be more than enough.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #1,379 of 2,194
Good, I'll do that for charge then. :relaxed:

I'm on PC, windows 10 up to date and I have ifi drivers installed, this one Windows USB 2.0 Drivers – Current Driver: 3.2.

Thanks for answer.

I'll check in with our tech team about this and get back to you soon!

No luck, I read the document when I was playing around for MQA,
I have v7.0 firmware now, I had installed GTO version, but now I am back on v7.0.
I don't care about MQA, otherwise I would have chosen Diablo.

How do you like the GTO filter?

Good question. It is 5V/2.4A. I use the same device to charge all my USB C devices on my work desk. (one at a time, of course)

BTW. I hope you guys don't kill the Xbass/3D switches on the next releases. Diablo and Neo left those out, but they are a freaking good feature that makes a huge difference compared to other amp/dacs.

PS.: I only use IEMs and ECO mode and low volume, so I guess 5V should be more than enough.

Do you have the ability to a/b different chargers over a day? It could be because the Signature isn't being given enough power due to all your devices being charged in one place.

XBass and 3D aren't going away anytime soon!

Yes, 5v should be enough for that mode. Let me know your insights after you a/b chargers then we'll go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back