iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Apr 11, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #1,382 of 2,172
Got the Signature to drive my Focal Stellia (35 ohm)

Noticed the following issues with Power Mode:
  • When set to Turbo, volume is too high cannot even, slightly, move the volume knob past 10:00am (start)
    setting the IEMatch to Ultra Sensitivity enables to tune the volume knob between 10:00am and 12:00pm
  • When set to Normal, volume is too high cannot even move the volume knob past 11:00am
    setting the IEMatch to High Sensitivity enables to tune the volume knob between 10:00am and 12:00pm
  • With Eco things are better but it seems that the power is gone
Almost no volume knob headroom without setting IEMatch set. I thought that with my headphones it should stay Off.

Should it be like that?
Does IEMatch intervene with the sound quality?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,383 of 2,172
Got the Signature to drive my Focal Stellia (35 ohm)

Noticed the following issues with Power Mode:
  • When set to Turbo, volume is too high cannot even, slightly, move the volume knob past 10:00am (start)
    setting the IEMatch to Ultra Sensitivity enables to tune the volume knob between 10:00am and 12:00pm
  • When set to Normal, volume is too high cannot even move the volume knob past 11:00am
    setting the IEMatch to High Sensitivity enables to tune the volume knob between 10:00am and 12:00pm
  • With Eco things are better but it seems that the power is gone
Almost no volume knob headroom without setting IEMatch set. I thought that with my headphones it should stay Off.

Should it be like that?
Does IEMatch intervene with the sound quality?

This is not firmware related so no need to worry about that.

Please read a short and detailed explanation here as to why this occurs: https://ifi-audio.com/faqs/channel-imbalance/

IEMatch does not intervene with sound quality in any way outside of matching your impedance.

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #1,384 of 2,172
Thanks
Setting power mode to Turbo and IEMatch to Ultra Sensitivity enables me to tune normal volume indicator to 12:00.
Is that recomnended in order to yield maximum "oompth" with my headphones? or should I use a differnt setting?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #1,386 of 2,172
So I was able to update mine to 7.2 as well and it's confirmed successful update through system information. However, I still can't play DSD512, and MQA still plays with a magenta light on the iDSD. So essentially this firmware is still functionally the same as the previous firmwares.
Just tried it and failed.
You are right, it cannot play DSD512.
@Sebastien Chiu , any idea?

Apr 16, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #1,387 of 2,172
Will the rca out in the signature work for balanced input to speakers ? Trying to connect to JBL 305PMk2s
Edit: It seems i have to run them unbalanced.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #1,388 of 2,172
Apologise if this has been answered already. I am not sure if the 4.4 connection is fully balanced, although it is on the Diablo.
So is there any audio benefit for using the 4.4 connection? If so can I simply buy a 4.4 adapter for headphones or should I use a 4.4 balance cable?

Is there a sound quality comparison between Diablo and Signature?

thank u

Apr 23, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #1,389 of 2,172
Apologise if this has been answered already. I am not sure if the 4.4 connection is fully balanced, although it is on the Diablo.
So is there any audio benefit for using the 4.4 connection? If so can I simply buy a 4.4 adapter for headphones or should I use a 4.4 balance cable?

Is there a sound quality comparison between Diablo and Signature?

thank u

It's not fully balanced on the Signature. 4.4 is just there for convenience so no need to buy an adapter if you already have 1/4 inch.
Chibs

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,390 of 2,172
Currently thinking about getting an ifi signature.
Regarding purple light: from what I read in the Diablo thread, it means that some processing was done beforehand like Tidal native app on IPhone for example has done first unfold.
Just Speculation from me.
Does someone know if ifi signature is a full MQA decoder or just renderer?
Diablo is a full decoder from what I read.
Anyone here tried the new MEST MKII?

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,391 of 2,172
Currently thinking about getting an ifi signature.
Regarding purple light: from what I read in the Diablo thread, it means that some processing was done beforehand like Tidal native app on IPhone for example has done first unfold.
Just Speculation from me.
Diablo is a full decoder from what I read.
It’s an MQA renderer not decoder. Having said that, I don’t think you would notice a difference between the two. If your looking for the best sound quality, stay away from MQA altogether and stream flac.

Chibs

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #1,392 of 2,172

It’s an MQA renderer not decoder.

Chibs is correct!

I have the original MEST Mk 1 and can comment on the synergy here if you would like @FooFighter.

Both editions of the MEST are awesome and it's really dependant on what you are looking for as an individual.

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #1,393 of 2,172
Hi everybody, I just got my Signature, and I suspect that it starts charging once I connect it to phone, the charging led starts flashing. Is there a way to prevent the Signature from charging from phone? Thanks in advance!

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #1,394 of 2,172
Does Signature produce the same amount of power in Watts if I use Eco or Normal or Turbo mode with the same sound volume? I mean sound volume, not the same volume control position.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #1,395 of 2,172
Hi everybody, I just got my Signature, and I suspect that it starts charging once I connect it to phone, the charging led starts flashing. Is there a way to prevent the Signature from charging from phone? Thanks in advance!
It does not charge your phone if you have it connected properly, from the back where it says “digital input”. It charges from the side.
If the led is flashing red, it needs to be charged (from the side).

Here's the manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back