iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Nov 20, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #556 of 2,172
The article has been very interesting to me (https://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5971). I understand what a 0 and 1 digital signal is. I also understand that the purifier acts before the DAC, digital information goes in and digital information goes out. With all these concepts, logic questions that there are sonic differences. In theory, we are subject to noise and interference, for example by wifi waves and this could affect. Or so these products are advertised. I do not know if this is not the case, what is the point of creating a product that stops this, although I understand that noise problems can occur in a computer. Actually, it would be nice, of course, to have measurements and a technical explanation of how these devices can affect the sound. The IFI itself and the rest of the manufacturers sell the improvement that can be obtained in the audio. Certainly, I notice a difference, as I indicated before, it is not a dramatic difference, but a subtle difference may be enough for a device with a cost of 50 usd (if we compare the cost of the dac, headphones ... it really is marginal). Now, I don't understand what happens in my audio setup so that I can hear the difference. If I do not have any type of problem that may affect (could it be wifi interference?), Of course I have to consider that the difference is a suggestion on my part. Now, in such a case, it is surprising how, through suggestion, I can clearly perceive a different sound. I have just done A / B test again putting son isilicener, with jitterbug and without these devices) I am able to perceive differences between isilencer and jitterbug (I don't hear it the same) and with these filters and without them (I also appreciate differences). Logic defies my ear, it would really be fascinating to know what is happening here, it seems that the mind has a high power over our senses.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #557 of 2,172
Again, I truly respect your general attitude. Thank you for not taking all this the wrong way and being very sensible in your replies.

Maybe one day one of these manufactures (for example IFI) will product some measurements to back up their claims. I am sure even the people not happy to read this "argument" wont have a problem with that. So here is hoping. I want to learn (don't we all?). I will end it on that note.

PS: It would be really fun to see a Blind ABX test. I don't have such equipment so I cannot do it, but you could. I mean on a friend (one you consider has relatively good hearing). Invite them over put them in a chair facing the other direction. So they do not see what you do behind them. Give them a pen and paper with a column. You don't have to tell them exactly what you are testing. Just that it is two different sets of hifi gear. Have it all covered down with a sheet when he walks in.
Tell him equiment A sound worse (just a bit) and equiment B sounds a bit better. He as you for from 1 to 20, each time he should mark in each line which he thinks he is hearing, the better one or the worse one.
Then start playing the same song and in 20 steps, pause it, remove the isilencer play, then pause then put back the isilencer then pay again. All this with your ipad not connected to AC outlet. If you want to be fair with us any yourself you must also in some cases really only pretend to be putting back the isilencer but not really doing so, then other times the exactly opposite. They don't have to take off the headphone till the end of the session. How they will know that it is a new number is that you will of course pause the music each time. You don't even speak with him.
You must have a sheet of your own where you mark for yourself if you have the isilencer in or not.
If you want to be super precise and remove almost any doubt of possibility of "luck", then run the same test 1 more time. But absolutely randomizing when you have it in or not.

Then when done compare the results and tell us. This test has two goals which is obvious. It is not just testing for "difference" but also for "better". I hope you see how this is different from you listening AB but knowing which is which.

If you like, you could afterwards explain the test to him and ask him to play it on you. There you will in that way even remove and question of "his musical prefrence" or "subjectivity" especially in relation to you. This is such a simple test. I hope you see that. And I can guess the result. You will see that you will almost randomly be wrong and right about which sounded better vs when it was in or not. The point of the test is to prove me wrong. I am really interested in the results. As I said many times I am here to learn. If the isilence makes the music better I would by one. That is how our whole argument started. Not only don't I have the isilencer, but fewer people would believe my results after I ran the test, than would believe you. I would believe you. As I have seen, you are not the kind of person that would intentionally device himself and manipulate the results.

How about it? I would be grateful. I am sure there are some other too.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #558 of 2,172
There is a sound science forum for these types of discussions. As a matter of fact, I figure there are already such discussions in that forum. Back to the iFi iDSD Micro Signature. I hope to get this some day to use with my iPhone and my full size headphones. My Hiby R8 gets used with IEMs.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #559 of 2,172
Again, I truly respect your general attitude. Thank you for not taking all this the wrong way and being very sensible in your replies.

Maybe one day one of these manufactures (for example IFI) will product some measurements to back up their claims. I am sure even the people not happy to read this "argument" wont have a problem with that. So here is hoping. I want to learn (don't we all?). I will end it on that note.

PS: It would be really fun to see a Blind ABX test. I don't have such equipment so I cannot do it, but you could. I mean on a friend (one you consider has relatively good hearing). Invite them over put them in a chair facing the other direction. So they do not see what you do behind them. Give them a pen and paper with a column. You don't have to tell them exactly what you are testing. Just that it is two different sets of hifi gear. Have it all covered down with a sheet when he walks in.
Tell him equiment A sound worse (just a bit) and equiment B sounds a bit better. He as you for from 1 to 20, each time he should mark in each line which he thinks he is hearing, the better one or the worse one.
Then start playing the same song and in 20 steps, pause it, remove the isilencer play, then pause then put back the isilencer then pay again. All this with your ipad not connected to AC outlet. If you want to be fair with us any yourself you must also in some cases really only pretend to be putting back the isilencer but not really doing so, then other times the exactly opposite. They don't have to take off the headphone till the end of the session. How they will know that it is a new number is that you will of course pause the music each time. You don't even speak with him.
You must have a sheet of your own where you mark for yourself if you have the isilencer in or not.
If you want to be super precise and remove almost any doubt of possibility of "luck", then run the same test 1 more time. But absolutely randomizing when you have it in or not.

Then when done compare the results and tell us. This test has two goals which is obvious. It is not just testing for "difference" but also for "better". I hope you see how this is different from you listening AB but knowing which is which.

If you like, you could afterwards explain the test to him and ask him to play it on you. There you will in that way even remove and question of "his musical prefrence" or "subjectivity" especially in relation to you. This is such a simple test. I hope you see that. And I can guess the result. You will see that you will almost randomly be wrong and right about which sounded better vs when it was in or not. The point of the test is to prove me wrong. I am really interested in the results. As I said many times I am here to learn. If the isilence makes the music better I would by one. That is how our whole argument started. Not only don't I have the isilencer, but fewer people would believe my results after I ran the test, than would believe you. I would believe you. As I have seen, you are not the kind of person that would intentionally device himself and manipulate the results.

How about it? I would be grateful. I am sure there are some other too.
Not sure about iSilencer, but a similar product from Audioquest, Jitterbug, definitely "improves" (changes) the sound when using an USB port with charging feature (higher voltage output than standard ports).
I was skeptical about that until I noticed changes just changing ports on my laptop for my btr5, then I remembered I had the jitterbug on the back of a drawer. Plugged it in and voila! Clean and "better" on both ports, much more noticeableon the charging port, even my girlfriend noticed the difference straight away.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #562 of 2,172
Quarter of this thread isn't about the gear so let's get back on track. Just got it in yesterday but man did I miss the built in iEMatch and XBass that iFi puts on their products. So nice to have little features like that. Especially as a basshead.

dmE59lK.jpg

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #564 of 2,172
Also, as long as we use this in powered mode it bypasses the battery correct? So only have to worry about charge degradation when using mobile?

Does it? I have only used with battery. How can you tell. IFI has to answer that question and it would in fact be amazing if it can be left connected to USB power perpetual (sort of a desktop use) and thus elongate the battery life, but not using it all the time.

@iFi audio can you help us with this question? Does it bypass battery when (battery is full) and there is external power connected to it and it is powered on?

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #565 of 2,172
Looks great! How do you like the sound compared to your desktop unit?

Also, as long as we use this in powered mode it bypasses the battery correct? So only have to worry about charge degradation when using mobile?

So far so good. Haven't compared the two against each other. I plan to bring one to work once the world is normal again.
As for the battery stuff I'll let @iFi audio answer that.

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #566 of 2,172
They've answered it a few times already. It always uses the battery even if you have it plugged into power with the USB-C cable. My only real problem with this dac/amp.

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #567 of 2,172
They've answered it a few times already. It always uses the battery even if you have it plugged into power with the USB-C cable. My only real problem with this dac/amp.

Yes, I thought I remembered something about this previously, which is why "does it?".
I will agree, that is the worst design decision with in the entire system. Even for me. It would have been so simple to solve this with a relay. Such electronics can be found in any given laptop. Would have made the battery remain very high capacity for so much longer. This mean for desktop use, the best practice unfortunately is to only connect to external power when it is close to empty. Charge, then remove when full. Leaving it connected all the time during listening/use (sort of topping up after it depletes like 5%) will always count as a recharge cycle every single time that you turn it on.

Well nothing is perfect. At least it sounds amazing, which is the primary function. I personally do not hear any channel imbalance. The Xbass is nice, the 3d thingy is quite iffy as others have reported. Some songs seem to sound better with it, others not so much.
I am not quite sure about the filter switch. How are you guys experiencing with that?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #568 of 2,172
I use now "Bit-Perfect". For Jazz I now set the 3D and XBass switches on, for classical music sometimes on, sometimes off.
After several hours listening I like the ifi iDSD Sig more and more. The battery capacity is much better than I thought it will be, sound quality is spot on what I was looking for. It makes me re-listen certain songs over and over. So cool to (re)discover some of my music collection and have nearly the same experience as with the active monitors I used to use.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #569 of 2,172
I use now "Bit-Perfect"
No way, Ifi says you cannot get bit-perfect without isilencer in the chain, so it must be a dummy switch, hahahaha. Sorry mate, could not let that one slip by. :darthsmile:

On a more serious note, thank you for writing down your experience.

Try something new to you.. (probably):
Fela Kuti - Roforofo fight
(preferably not some remix). Tell me how you like it :)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #570 of 2,172
Yes, I thought I remembered something about this previously, which is why "does it?".
I will agree, that is the worst design decision with in the entire system. Even for me. It would have been so simple to solve this with a relay. Such electronics can be found in any given laptop. Would have made the battery remain very high capacity for so much longer. This mean for desktop use, the best practice unfortunately is to only connect to external power when it is close to empty. Charge, then remove when full. Leaving it connected all the time during listening/use (sort of topping up after it depletes like 5%) will always count as a recharge cycle every single time that you turn it on.

Well nothing is perfect. At least it sounds amazing, which is the primary function. I personally do not hear any channel imbalance. The Xbass is nice, the 3d thingy is quite iffy as others have reported. Some songs seem to sound better with it, others not so much.
I am not quite sure about the filter switch. How are you guys experiencing with that?

Why are you so worried about the battery? Even if it only lasts for a year or two generic Li-Ion batteries can be purchased for < £20 GBP. This is not a Mojo with its rip off battery pricing and only serviceable by Chord approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back