iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Nov 20, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #571 of 2,172
Why are you so worried about the battery? Even if it only lasts for a year or two generic Li-Ion batteries can be purchased for < £20 GBP. This is not a Mojo with its rip off battery pricing and only serviceable by Chord approach.

I didn't say I was "worried" I said that for me it is the biggest con. I am sure you have some too don't you? What are they?

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #573 of 2,172
...Try something new to you.. (probably):
Fela Kuti - Roforofo fight
(preferably not some remix). Tell me how you like it :)
I will try this. What I liked most today was Jack DeJohnette: "Oneness" and "New Rags"; Gershwin (if you like Gershwin in a new way try once Uri Cain). I rediscovered Yello, especially "Till Tomorrow" on "Touch Yello". Lastly Colter Wall "Imaginary Appalachia" - normally I don't listen very loud, except the song "Sleeping on the Blacktop" :)

I stopped now my listening for today. iDSD power LED ist still green. So I guess the way I use it there is enough capacity for more than 9 hours.

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #574 of 2,172
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 21, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #575 of 2,172
For most headphones yes, but there are cans out there that enjoy stout power output a lot.

If used wrongly, it can be. But then again, this applies to many amps, not just ours. Common sense is advised.

Watch the bit of the video I linked he said 4100 MEGA Watts or 4100,000,000 Watts that's a lot of watts and definitely overkill.

Dangerous too, for 32 ohm headphones 4100 mega watts would need a voltage of 362,215 Volts and a current of 11,319 Amp I don't want that anywhere near my head.

PS yes I know he just made a mistake. :wink:

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #576 of 2,172
Why are you so worried about the battery? Even if it only lasts for a year or two generic Li-Ion batteries can be purchased for < £20 GBP. This is not a Mojo with its rip off battery pricing and only serviceable by Chord approach.

The reason manufacturers don't like customers self-servicing their own batteries is due to possibility of firstly, causing a fire installing the wrong battery, which the charging circuit could miss-handle, and secondly because the customer will almost always blame the manufacturer for anything that goes wrong, even if it is their fault. A good example is their product not working properly because the wrong battery was installed, either intentionally, by accident, or because they bought a cheap one from China with fake specifications.

iDSD Signature IMG_4521.jpg

A box arrived yesterday with the Neo iDSD and iDSD Signature. Quick impressions are of a warm, engaging sound with the Final D8000 Pro. The 3D switch rather over-does things, at least as I feel. I have never tried any of the other Micro iDSD products, but if they were anything like this, I see why they were popular.

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #577 of 2,172
The reason manufacturers don't like customers self-servicing their own batteries is due to possibility of firstly, causing a fire installing the wrong battery, which the charging circuit could miss-handle, and secondly because the customer will almost always blame the manufacturer for anything that goes wrong, even if it is their fault. A good example is their product not working properly because the wrong battery was installed, either intentionally, by accident, or because they bought a cheap one from China with fake specifications.
100% agree with that. I should have said don't attempt to replace the battery yourself unless you know what you are doing. That said its a relatively simple process and by the time the battery needs replacement I'm sure there will be several how-to guides on the Internet with advise on how to do it safely.

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #578 of 2,172
...A box arrived yesterday with the Neo iDSD and iDSD Signature. Quick impressions are of a warm, engaging sound with the Final D8000 Pro. The 3D switch rather over-does things, at least as I feel. I have never tried any of the other Micro iDSD products, but if they were anything like this, I see why they were popular.
That was my first impression, too. After several hours I like it better and when I listen to music and switch it off I now think there is something missing :smile_phones:
The iDSD is my first ifi DAC/AMP. When I decided to get a better headphone plus amp I was ready to spend more on all the gear. For now I'm happy with what I got. Well, there's one thing I'd like to improve, but that has nothing to do with the iDSD: I'm still looking for a better app on my iPad for organising and playing my music.

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #579 of 2,172
Anyone who wants a further improvement on the signature will find one in the iCan. Absolutely outstanding amplifier, for me absolutely TOTL. From the sound signature similar to the Signature. But with more power and quality a clear step over it. X-Bass and 3D adjustable with 3 levels. Plus the excellent tube mode. Listen only in that.

An exceptional amplifier!

IMG_1411.jpeg

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #580 of 2,172
Anyone who wants a further improvement on the signature will find one in the iCan. Absolutely outstanding amplifier, for me absolutely TOTL. From the sound signature similar to the Signature. But with more power and quality a clear step over it. X-Bass and 3D adjustable with 3 levels. Plus the excellent tube mode. Listen only in that.

IMG_1411.jpeg
hmm. I am eyeballing the Neo but not at all convinced. I have more post there than in The Sig which I own and am happy with, but I need none portable for my office. Seeing as my dream Headphone is what you rock with, I tend to think I will not be disappointed with your recommendation. The reasons that I did not jump on the Neo yet are: amp power (who knows what I will decide to get in the future, why limit myself, if the Sig can have more power why can't this one), not filter, there is something else, but I forgot.
I know based on all my research I would be all over the RME ADT-2 FS, seller reviews all over, excellent crossfeed (as in 3d done properly, it is the only part of Sig that I find a bit iffy), parametric EQ (really bring out the best from all Headphones for your taste), but the only thing holding me back is the lack of MQA. Even though I consider it an evil, I still am being suckered into it.

Let me go look at the iCAN quickly. Thx

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #581 of 2,172

IMG_1411.jpeg

Wait..... you have the exact thing on your table I just noticed. Please tell me how it compares. I mean the Sig, VS iCAN VS RME. on that exact headphones. Wish you were next door and I could go over and have a listen. It is so funny you have exactly what I am after on your desk. Not just the headphones anymore. hahaha

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #582 of 2,172
I remember now why I did not look into iCAN it is just and amp. An expensive one and like most of IFI products, not true balance but thr S-balance.
I am mostly considering DAC/Amp combo. Please give me your impressions of Sig VS RME. Thanks. You don't have the NEO right? I mean it wouldn't make a sense stepping back from iCAN unless you want to risk making yourself feel bad if you end up feeling that it sounds the same and you paid all that money for it.

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #583 of 2,172
So the iCan is 100% balanced. See the homepage. https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-ican/

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-21 um 10.29.35.png

Have a look at the Neo. The case is beautiful and appealing. But the data did not convince me. Too little power, then xBass and 3D function is missing. Once you had them, you don't want to miss them anymore. Therefore I bought the Signature. It has more power and the mentioned functions.

Signature and iCan are similar in sound signature. iFi Sound. I love it! The iCan is simply much better in every respect. It is also a different price range. Costs 3 times as much as the Signature. You can also expect more. What is ingenious there are the tubes. You don't have a real tube sound like with pure tube amplifiers. But there is an excellent tube touch. Especially with recordings that were recorded a bit "hard", it sounds great. But you can also turn it off and switch it directly to pure transistor amplification.

Compare Signature and ADI. ADI has even more setting options. EQ, loudness, bass and treble controls. You can adjust 1000 things. Sound it is more neutral. Performance comparable. But it is not balanced. Unfortunately also balanced HP outputs are missing. You can now do that with the Signature via the 4.4mm output. From the sound I like both.

My best combination but absolutely ADI with iCan. This is real high end. So you can also intervene on the ADI with EQ if necessary. But it is necessary, but you could do it and you have all the settings via ADI. Runs as DAC and preamplifier to the iCan. But you can also use the ADI directly. As soon as you plug in headphones, it automatically switches to speaker outputs and switches off the line outputs. Excellent solution.

As I said, for me this is the dream combination. I use Signature at my 3rd workstation and also mobile to iPad on the terrace.

All 3 are good, the question is what to spend. But you can really live alone with anyone. The headphones are also important, the differences are even greater there.

What I also have is the Burson 3XP. This is a DAC/Amp. Very neutral in sound. Sounds completely different than the iFi devices. It harmonizes perfectly with Audeze HP. I use it for LCD-X and LCDi4. Absolutely outstanding. As I said, very neutral and still musical. The iFi have a more powerful sound and are also more aggressive. I like that.

The iCan is the US muscle car. The Burson is the well-kept Mercedes S-Class. The Signature is a pimped up turbo small car!:relaxed:

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #584 of 2,172
So the iCan is 100% balanced. See the homepage. https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-ican/

Have a look at the Neo. The case is beautiful and appealing. But the data did not convince me. Too little power, then xBass and 3D function is missing. Once you had them, you don't want to miss them anymore. Therefore I bought the Signature. It has more power and the mentioned functions.

Signature and iCan are similar in sound signature. iFi Sound. I love it! The iCan is simply much better in every respect. It is also a different price range. Costs 3 times as much as the Signature. You can also expect more. What is ingenious there are the tubes. You don't have a real tube sound like with pure tube amplifiers. But there is an excellent tube touch. Especially with recordings that were recorded a bit "hard", it sounds great. But you can also turn it off and switch it directly to pure transistor amplification.

Compare Signature and ADI. ADI has even more setting options. EQ, loudness, bass and treble controls. You can adjust 1000 things. Sound it is more neutral. Performance comparable. But it is not balanced. Unfortunately also balanced HP outputs are missing. You can now do that with the Signature via the 4.4mm output. From the sound I like both.

My best combination but absolutely ADI with iCan. This is real high end. So you can also intervene on the ADI with EQ if necessary. But it is necessary, but you could do it and you have all the settings via ADI. Runs as DAC and preamplifier to the iCan. But you can also use the ADI directly. As soon as you plug in headphones, it automatically switches to speaker outputs and switches off the line outputs. Excellent solution.

As I said, for me this is the dream combination. I use Signature at my 3rd workstation and also mobile to iPad on the terrace.

All 3 are good, the question is what to spend. But you can really live alone with anyone. The headphones are also important, the differences are even greater there.

What I also have is the Burson 3XP. This is a DAC/Amp. Very neutral in sound. Sounds completely different than the iFi devices. It harmonizes perfectly with Audeze HP. I use it for LCD-X and LCDi4. Absolutely outstanding. As I said, very neutral and still musical. The iFi have a more powerful sound and are also more aggressive. I like that.

The iCan is the US muscle car. The iFi is the well-kept Mercedes S-Class. The Signature is a pimped up turbo small car!

Thank you.
I did check the web page. S-balance is not the same thing as the "traditional" real balance. There are some post somewhere explain the difference. I have seen it dubbed as "Fake-balance". I on my phone right now. So harder to dig up. It's a sudo balance. Not saying it is bad, but not the same as a real, dual mono circuitry. I also expect that the "benefits" would not be exactly the same as otherwise no manufacturer would waste money on dual mono setup as it obviously cost more.

EDIT: sorry, I just released that it has both. full balanced and s balanced. My bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back