iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Nov 15, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #481 of 2,172
Can anyone do the comparison between BL and Signature either here or online......anywhere?

Have you read through the thread? They have been compared within the last few pages.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #482 of 2,172
Can anyone do the comparison between BL and Signature either here or online......anywhere?
There is no comparison, signature is better all around. The longer I listen to it, the more I realize. The bass is, wow, surprisingly deep and well controlled. My main issue with BL was not enough details and treble that was too smooth. Also, too much low treble. Signature adds shimmer to treble and more details. Extension top and bottom is noticeably better. This is with 4.4 balanced out. The signature doesn’t sound like the BL at all.

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #483 of 2,172
There is no comparison, signature is better all around. The longer I listen to it, the more I realize. The bass is, wow, surprisingly deep and well controlled. My main issue with BL was not enough details and treble that was too smooth. Also, too much low treble. Signature adds shimmer to treble and more details. Extension top and bottom is noticeably better. This is with 4.4 balanced out. The signature doesn’t sound like the BL at all.

+1.
I totally agree with you. From the sound point of view, the Signature is better everywhere.

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #484 of 2,172

That just goes to show how subjective we really are. I mean if you read most of the reviews here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ifi-audio-micro-idsd.20201/reviews
You would hardly think that there was any "issue" with the sound of the BL.
Most please complained about the channel imbalance.
A lot of people praised the bass and the SQ. Now all of a sudden "there was too much treble".

Nothing wrong with your impression. I am sure I will like mine too. Just find it funny how things change and how we persive them so differently. Some of it is obviously just the tricks that our ears play. The get used to an old sound and tend to hear the contrast more on a new one.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #485 of 2,172

note differences in sound between connecting in balanced 4.4. or 6.5 standard? I am considering buying balanced cable for my Arya and Clear and pair them with the signature (which is already ordered :) and pending receipt) and I wanted to know if it is worth buying the cable or use the ones that I have as standard with the headphones

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #486 of 2,172
Now I spent some time with the iDSD signature. Summary of my first impressions: :) :beerchug:

The iDSD Signature drives the HD800S very well. I set Power Mode to normal which is just right for my taste (I don’t like it too loud). I’m still experimenting with the filter settings. When listening to Jazz (piano, acoustic bass, drums) I set XBass on most of the time. The 3D switch changes the sound considerably, on some recordings I still prefer without 3D (classical music mostly). Overall it’s a real pleasure listening my music with the iDSD together with the HD800S.

The iDSD has the form factor and the features I was looking for: a USB DAC/AMP that is easy transportable for use at home, battery capacity for at least half a day without recharge necessary, enough power to drive demanding headphones. The DAC section should be capable to decode different formats. So overall for my preferences the iDSD is a perfect match. It’s nice that I can connect the HD800S balanced, too. I will compare the two connections in the next few days but I think I will stick to the balanced connection.

Some negative points? Yes, it’s about colours. No, not the so called space blue anodising. That blue colour is sooo elegant and classy, really. When you look at the iDSD from a distance it looks more black than blue. When you change the viewing angle it changes towards a dark blue. So cool. Way better than black or silver. One problem with the colour is that the technical specs on the bottom of the iDSD are printed in black. Hardly readable. I have a bit limited eyesight but still, why not print this in a manner that it is readable without special lighting.

And in case ifi decides to improve this I would suggest not to print the technical specs but some help that explains the meaning of the LEDs colours (charging LED and LED on front) and some hints about the charging logic. Who needs to read the specs while using the iDSD? No one. Who needs to know the meaning of the LEDs? Everyone :sunglasses: And the last point about colour is regarding the cables. The bright blue USB cable looks a bit cheap next to the iDSD. I would prefer the same finish as the ifi OTG cables. I use one and these look so much better.

Enough nagging :) Did I mention that the iDSD sounds good? I really like it. A cool little device and a perfect match for the way I like to listen to music. Well done, ifi.
After some hours listening to some classical music I like my new combo (iDSD Signature + HD800S) even more. I will continue with the balanced connection. On some tracks I tried 3D on and I have to revise my statement above. I like it when listening to classical music, too. When I started to my listening session today I thought I will end it when the battery of the iDSD is down. Well, it's getting late and the LED is still green :) Next time I will count how many hours I can use the iDSD Signature (gain "normal", volume between 10 and 12 o'clock).

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #487 of 2,172
FYI... to no one in particular.

As with all lithium batteries. I advise everyone to charge as few times as possible. Each charge lowers the capacity by a little bit.
Just like on laptops and phones. Leaving it constantly charging is not good practice. Still either-way it will last a couple of years at least even if you charge it everyday.
Li-ion (which is what they have in these), have a lot of charge cycles, some of the best ones can maintain up to 80% of the original capacity after 300 cycles.
If you put that into raw number it means if it last 8 hours now on a full charge and you charge once per day, then it will still last 6 hours after 1 year of daily use. However if you keep it on the charger all the time and let it top off every-time you use it. you are adding multiple cycles to it. Even if it was just at 80% and you filled it up, it would still count as +1. So doing that multiple times daily will wear the chemistry down prematurely and you will end up with lower capacity sooner.

Just my random 2 cents.

PS: Do not mix this up with memory effect that the good old nickel metal hybrid was notorious for. Those needed full depletion before charging or they got messed up pretty quick. This is not the same. This one only cares about how many times. Charging it from 75% to full does not deteriorate it any more than 10% to full. It just counts as +1.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #488 of 2,172
Coming from a print background and now in the Apple arena, packaging looks spot on with the Signature. and the customer journey looks one of excitement 👌🏻

Wouldn't
The channel balance issue varies between units. There are some micro BL units with good channel balance and others with bad channel balance. It's good that you got a good one, enjoy!

Wouldn't having one channel be noticeably louder than the other be a manufacturing defect?

Nov 16, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #489 of 2,172
Wouldn't having one channel be noticeably louder than the other be a manufacturing defect?
Those small potentiometers have channel balance issues that are within manufacturer tolerances, it depends on the manufacturer of the pot. Better potentiometers are more expensive, and in some cases impossible to find. Some device manufacturers hand pick the good ones, others try to find a way to reduce the issue, and others just say "that's the way it's, you had bad luck". In the case of the micro BL, the response was: "use the iEMatch".

Nov 16, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #492 of 2,172
So I got the Signature tonight... Quite happy ! :smile_phones: Almost 4 years with the BL, and now his successor... Very good update !
Paired with a DT1770 pro, Turbo mode, Standard filter, no 3D or XBass. Linked to the Mac with iPurifier 3 and Oidio usb cable.
I quickly compared one and the other, listening live jazz albums from flac 44.1 to dsd 64, and I'm glued to the Signature for the moment.
More space, more club ! Powerful double bass with "Super Bass 2", wonderful Keith Jarrett Trio at the Deer Head Inn, I like the details we get and the better instruments layering as well. Extension top to bottom is better, deeper bass, less muddy, treble more refined.
We'l see within the next days if this new sound isn't too much clean :wink: More to come...
By the way, I still have to deal with the imbalance volume issue :frowning2: The same with both units.

Idsd.jpeg

Nov 16, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #493 of 2,172
So I got the Signature tonight... Quite happy ! :smile_phones: Almost 4 years with the BL, and now his successor... Very good update !
Paired with a DT1770 pro, Turbo mode, Standard filter, no 3D or XBass. Linked to the Mac with iPurifier 3 and Oidio usb cable.
I quickly compared one and the other, listening live jazz albums from flac 44.1 to dsd 64, and I'm glued to the Signature for the moment.
More space, more club ! Powerful double bass with "Super Bass 2", wonderful Keith Jarrett Trio at the Deer Head Inn, I like the details we get and the better instruments layering as well. Extension top to bottom is better, deeper bass, less muddy, treble more refined.
We'l see within the next days if this new sound isn't too much clean :wink: More to come...
By the way, I still have to deal with the imbalance volume issue :frowning2: The same with both units.

Are your impressions based on the sound with only the iPurifier 3.0 included in your chain? Does it clean up the Signature as well as the Black Label?

Ive been trying to sell off my iPurifier and Mercury cable but Im mulling over buying the Signature and keeping them.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #494 of 2,172
Are your impressions based on the sound with only the iPurifier 3.0 included in your chain? Does it clean up the Signature as well as the Black Label?

Ive been trying to sell off my iPurifier and Mercury cable but Im mulling over buying the Signature and keeping them.
Yes, iPurifier 3 included. I tried without, it has the same clean up effect on both. Using one more iPurifier with the signature seems to be a good option, though this unit already have one onboard...

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #495 of 2,172
Yes, iPurifier 3 included. I tried without, it has the same clean up effect on both. Using one more iPurifier with the signature seems to be a good option, though this unit already have one onboard...

Cool, thanks for that!

The integrated USB cleaner still gets quite a notable upgrade with the iPurifier 3.0 as I remember with my BL.

Some of the discussions on the BL thread questioned whether or not its redundant to use one but I found it worthwhile despite a lot skepticism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back