iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Nov 3, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #271 of 2,172
Are you sure that this is BL and not your headphones U-shaped?
To me the original iDSD BL is pretty linear.

It has a bit of a treble peak/splashiness/grain when used as dac/amp - it's been discussed on different forums and something I also noticed when I demo'd (especially with IEMs).. the ifi nano idsd black has a smoother treble for example and is more neutral. If you're using it as your only source and you have darker headphones it probably doesn't rear its head.
If the signature is not smoother then that's probably bad news for me.. ultimately though I need to hear one which is bit tricky now with Covid.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #272 of 2,172
Hmmm ... I have a different opinion / experience.

During the last couple of months, I had the following DAC/Amp here at home:
ifi Pro iDSD DAC/Amp
RME ADI-2 FS DAC/Amp
Monoprice THX AAA 887 Amp + SMSL M500 DAC or Topping E30 DAC
JDS Atom Amp + Topping E30 DAC
ifi micro iDSD BL DAC/Amp
Yulong Canary Daart II DAC/Amp

From all the mentioned DAC/Amp the micro iDSD BL was the smoothest one. All the other ones are either more neutral or more on the analytical side.

But yes, it is just my opinion and what I can share from my experience. Maybe some of you has a different option, which is totally valid and fine :wink:

Nov 3, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #273 of 2,172
Hi
Tomorrow I will receive my ifi mucro signature in Spain.
Are the cables included to connect a mobile phone by usb and a dap by coaxial?
My idea is to connect it to the mobile or to my ibasso dx220 in which I have all my library in sd.
I currently have a ca cascade and hifiman ananda headphones.
In the ananda I expect a significant improvement over the ibasso dx220 amp8.
Cheers

If your phone is USB-C you will need an OTG cable, Amazon spain has the ifi one at 15€

Better yet, could someone make a picture of what is included in the box please? Thank you.

Check any BL review, it is the same.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #276 of 2,172
It has a bit of a treble peak/splashiness/grain when used as dac/amp - it's been discussed on different forums and something I also noticed when I demo'd (especially with IEMs).. the ifi nano idsd black has a smoother treble for example and is more neutral. If you're using it as your only source and you have darker headphones it probably doesn't rear its head.
If the signature is not smoother then that's probably bad news for me.. ultimately though I need to hear one which is bit tricky now with Covid.
Well, I always had questions to the treble quality of the Micro BL but to me it is still more or less linear in its frequency response.
No, this is not my the only source. I have a desktop set-up at home with a planar-magnetic HP.
I sold the micro BL many months ago and I used it mainly with IEM.

Nov 3, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #277 of 2,172
Hi
I understand that if I want to use my ibasso only as a player I have to connect it to the ifi micro signature by spdif, right?
Another way would be by line output from the ibasso dx220 to the rca inputs. This way the ibasso would act as a pre amp but I think it would sound worse that way, right?
Cheers

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #279 of 2,172
ah yes, forgot the charging cable, it's not OTG

just checked again ... you are right ... it is no OTG cable.

image.jpg

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #283 of 2,172
Also to note, it's way lighter....

Also driving me nuts, everytime it changes audio format there is a pop sound... @iFi audio any comments on that? for example when you change from HiFi to MQA on Tidal or viceversa...

EDIT: It is everytime the led changes color

So for phone with USB C out we are ok then?

Nope, you still need the OTG cable

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #284 of 2,172
Just facing the first problem.

Is it not possible to "bypass" the battery on the iDSD Signature?

With the BL, I just connected it via USB and once it is connected, I turned it on. With the Signature it does not work. It always uses the internal battery. In my current situation, I am not able to hear music because it needs to be charged first. If this is really the expected behaviour, it is really sh***y ... This would totally destroy the usage as desktop DAC/Amp. And for just mobile usage, there are much better and smaler options available.

Is there a trick, @iFi audio?

Edit:
Could it be the "trick" that I have to connect the USB cable to my source (MacBook etc.) and additional to that, I have to connect it to a 5V charger as well? Do I really need 2 cables for desktop usage? I mean, this would work, but it would be a huge retrograde step compared to the BL

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #285 of 2,172
Just facing the first problem.

Is it not possible to "bypass" the battery on the iDSD Signature?

With the BL, I just connected it via USB and once it is connected, I turned it on. With the Signature it does not work. It always uses the internal battery. In my current situation, I am not able to hear music because it needs to be charged first. If this is really the expected behaviour, it is really sh***y ... This would totally destroy the usage as desktop DAC/Amp. And for just mobile usage, there are much better and smaler options available.

Is there a trick, @iFi audio?

Edit:
Could it be the "trick" that I have to connect the USB cable to my source (MacBook etc.) and additional to that, I have to connect it to a 5V charger as well? Do I really need 2 cables for desktop usage? I mean, this would work, but it would be a huge retrograde step compared to the BL

Interesting. I was not aware of this. You mean it will not turn on while charging or that it will not turn on if completely empty? Or that it will not charge while you are running it? Not exactly clear.

I mean personally for me it wont be a problem if it is not bypassing the battery, the issue is if it cannot change and run at the same time. Sort of like a laptop does.

That would indeed be a bummer. I also intend to use is 70% of the time on the desk.

PS: I have contacted that German retailer that you mentioned via email and Facebook, but they have not replied. Maybe my just luck in disguise.
Actually my CEIM will only be ready in 4 weeks. So I don't even know why I am rushing this. Guess it is just impatience. I get like that a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back