iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Apr 16, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #2,071 of 2,990
@Sebastien Chiu

I'd like to try my Diablo as a DAC with an SE headphone amp. I noticed that you'd posted earlier in the thread about there being different ways of wiring XLR -> RCA cables and that pin 3 needs to be floating to avoid a short.

I've found cables by Benchmark (sold individually) that appear to fit the bill but wanted to be doubly sure before I order some. Do they look suitable?
BENCHMARK XLRF TO RCA ADAPTER CABLE FOR ANALOG AUDIO - PIN 3 FLOATING

SPECIAL WIRING (PIN 3 FLOATING):​

• XLR pin 1 to RCA ring
  • XLR pin 2 to RCA center pin
  • XLR pin 3 - open

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #2,072 of 2,990
Tried it with Neumann active speakers yesterday - too loud / too much voltage. And you cannot adjust the volume. So you need a volume controller in between.
Probably ZEN DAC Signature V2 will work better with speakers since it has a variable voltage on the output + volume control knob.
you're not supposed to connect line output to your speakers, you're supposed to use an end stage inbetween for volume control...

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #2,073 of 2,990
you're not supposed to connect line output to your speakers, you're supposed to use an end stage inbetween for volume control...
😅 did the roof blow right off? Luckily he didn't use it with IEMs...

Apr 17, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #2,075 of 2,990
That's clear. I use my Composer 3XP DAC in the pre-amp mode for speakers today when needed.

I believe you can use Diablo with active speakers which feature an integrated volume control.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #2,076 of 2,990
😅 did the roof blow right off? Luckily he didn't use it with IEMs...
Nothing is wrong here in general. Normally you can use any DAC with active speakers in case the DAC has a pre-amp mode or the speakers have a volume control.

BTW,

1650190643538.png

And you can try IEM if you want. Good luck)

P.S. @iFi audio Diablo needs a pre-amp mode:wink:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #2,078 of 2,990
I think I killed my Diablo :sob:. Accidentally plugged it into the the wrong cable which was connected to the Ifi power X supply. Totally unresponsive now:sob::sob:. I suppose it is beyond repair now:disappointed:
Contact iFi support see if it merely went into protective shutdown or if there's something they can do.

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #2,080 of 2,990
@iFi audio
@Sebastien Chiu

Does the newest 7.4b firmware still have the older but great sounding "Symmetrical FIR Filter" ??

"The filter in 7.2B is a symmetrical FIR filter, using three cascaded FIR interpolation filters which are equivalent to appx. 75,000 tap filter at 8 X Oversampling (44.1/48kHz input)"

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #2,081 of 2,990
@iFi audio
@Sebastien Chiu

Does the newest 7.4b firmware still have the older but great sounding "Symmetrical FIR Filter" ??

"The filter in 7.2B is a symmetrical FIR filter, using three cascaded FIR interpolation filters which are equivalent to appx. 75,000 tap filter at 8 X Oversampling (44.1/48kHz input)"

@iFi audio

VERY interested in knowing this as well....even because I noticed that the 7.3b fw available for my zen dac does not say anymore if it has "DSD512" support and is not even labeled as "limoncello".....just a generic "no mqa".

I want to have the old "symmetrical FIR filter" on my zen dac, so I'd like to know for sure which firmwares have it and which don't.

Apr 23, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #2,082 of 2,990
My Diablo still has the stock firmware on (no idea which one). Is there any specific firmware that is really worth loading?

I normally prefer a slightly warmer sound...

Apr 23, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #2,084 of 2,990
Mostly...mqa firmware for mqa files, GTO for regular pcm. Both give the warmer, good timing sound. No ringing.
But… can I use the mqa one with regular flac files without making than sound “off”?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back