iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Apr 24, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #2,086 of 2,988
But… can I use the mqa one with regular flac files without making than sound “off”?
the GTO filter is nearly 1:1 with how MQA sounds

1650787613863.png

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #2,087 of 2,988
My Diablo still has the stock firmware on (no idea which one). Is there any specific firmware that is really worth loading?

I normally prefer a slightly warmer sound...
For those who prefer a slightly warmer sound, give fw 7.2b a try. I have upgraded back and forth most firmwares available for the diablo.

Upgrading from Idsd signature (xmos 208), to my ears:

Fw 7.3 (diablo) = fw 5.3 (signature)
Fw 7.2 (d)= fw7.3 (d) = fw 5.3 (s)
Fw 7.2c (d) = fw7.3c (d) = fw5.3c (s)
Fw 7.4 (d) = fw 7.4 (s)
Fw 7.2b (d)= fw 5.2 (s), which sounds most analogous for PCM and DSD including the use case of upsampling pcm to dsd (my own and subjective opinions).

It is interesting that fw7.2b of the signature can be used smoothly for the diablo.

For those who prefer gto/MQA/PS4/5 compatible features, this may not make sense though.

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #2,088 of 2,988
If we want to change the signature then doing it via firmware change is messy, inconvenient and risk of wrecking something. IFi should have added buttons or some other on device method to switch.

Makes me think it hasn’t been thought through

Apr 26, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #2,090 of 2,988
If we want to change the signature then doing it via firmware change is messy, inconvenient and risk of wrecking something. IFi should have added buttons or some other on device method to switch.

that's a bit silly to be honest. I think most people would never even update from the factory firmware, let alone 'roll' firmware.

Apr 27, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #2,093 of 2,988
@Soundizer

Covered already but....

The Diablo has an RRP of £899 in the UK (but can be found for £809 new if you shop around). That figure includes VAT at 20%. So the cost before tax is £750.

At today's exchange rates that equates to approx. $980 USD. So $20 USD cheaper than the US RRP, which as mentioned does NOT include tax.

TL;DR the UK isn't getting screwed by iFi when it comes to pricing.

We always do our best to keep an even pricing no matter a buyer's location.

Nothing is wrong here in general. Normally you can use any DAC with active speakers in case the DAC has a pre-amp mode or the speakers have a volume control.

BTW,

1650190643538.png

And you can try IEM if you want. Good luck)

P.S. @iFi audio Diablo needs a pre-amp mode:wink:

We encourage users to add a 4.4 or 3.5 IEMatch if they're using the Diablo with sensitive IEMs.

Depends on the person. Some can't tell a difference but for critical listening GTO on regular pcm is better. Regular pcm on mqa firmware is good as well.

Yep, testing out the firmware and figuring out your firmware preferences is always the best course of action. Everyone is different!

For those who prefer a slightly warmer sound, give fw 7.2b a try. I have upgraded back and forth most firmwares available for the diablo.

Upgrading from Idsd signature (xmos 208), to my ears:

Fw 7.3 (diablo) = fw 5.3 (signature)
Fw 7.2 (d)= fw7.3 (d) = fw 5.3 (s)
Fw 7.2c (d) = fw7.3c (d) = fw5.3c (s)
Fw 7.4 (d) = fw 7.4 (s)
Fw 7.2b (d)= fw 5.2 (s), which sounds most analogous for PCM and DSD including the use case of upsampling pcm to dsd (my own and subjective opinions).

It is interesting that fw7.2b of the signature can be used smoothly for the diablo.

For those who prefer gto/MQA/PS4/5 compatible features, this may not make sense though.

Thanks for dropping this here :)

The Diablo is intended to be a purist design = simple, great sound with the power of a sports car in a DAC/AMP.

Users craving more flexibility might find a better fit with our Micro iDSD Signature, which has a built-in firmware toggle.

Me included.
I have no idea which firmware is installed and have absolutely no intention to download another.
Firmware rolling... man...

It's entirely up to you if it's something you want to do!

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #2,094 of 2,988
Hi all. I just got my Diablo in the mail. Detail, transients, impact, and dynamics are really impressive and the power output is crazy. I'm barely at 11 o'clock with Aeon Flow headphones on eco mode and it's pushing 70 dB.

I'm noting this is much brighter than I was anticipating, almost like THX789 bright. Cymbals sound really crunchy/splashy.

This is very fatiguing even at low volume level. I can't really go lower as I get channel imbalance. I'll see how they do with Verite Closed, but I got this device to use with Aeons at work.

Do the treble and upper mids calm down with extended use or is this amp device very bright?

In contrast the Gryphon is much less sharp in the treble despite being very detailed.

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #2,095 of 2,988
Hi all. I just got my Diablo in the mail. Detail, transients, impact, and dynamics are really impressive and the power output is crazy. I'm barely at 11 o'clock with Aeon Flow headphones on eco mode and it's pushing 70 dB.

I'm noting this is much brighter than I was anticipating, almost like THX789 bright. Cymbals sound really crunchy/splashy.

This is very fatiguing even at low volume level. I can't really go lower as I get channel imbalance. I'll see how they do with Verite Closed, but I got this device to use with Aeons at work.

Do the treble and upper mids calm down with extended use or is this amp device very bright?

In contrast the Gryphon is much less sharp in the treble despite being very detailed.
Diablo is more resolving and has more extension top and bottom so signal chain issues will show itself more on the Diablo than the Gryphon. Takes a week to break in anyways. If you're doing USB, idefender + USB optical cable can help.

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #2,096 of 2,988
Are those immediate impressions after plugging in or did you give it some time to warm up? What songs you listening to? @tcellguy

The amp is a departure from the warmer iFi house sound. The design is closer to that of THX amps so youre hearing that right. I personally don't find it too bright but definitely more "neutral" compared to say Micro IDSD or Zen amps.

Maybe it would benefit from some "burn in" but I don't recall mine sounding all that different from when I bought over a year ago now. Its actually paired quite nicely with all the headphones I've had. Currently listening to my Diana Phi with the Diablo in bed and it sounds great from jazz to house. Either way I hope you end liking it more.

PS I have the GTO filter on mine.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #2,097 of 2,988
It's definitely a very detailed DAC. I'm now feeding Diablo into Jotunheim 2 via the balanced out to XLR (very cool cable!) and it's still sounding very bright, much brighter than with Bifrost 2. Also faster transients and more nimble in the treble. Very "snappy", but also quite a bit harder in the treble.

This is a very impressive device to be sure. It just may be too bright for me. Will see if I get brain burn in or something.

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #2,098 of 2,988
Also, it may be on the mqa firmware. If you have access to tidal mqa, you can try mqa and it'll show how MQA has less upper ringing , more soundstage and sounds deeper so it properly counters the sound sig ur talking about. That excess upper mids energy is very common and hard to fix with regular pcm, even Hi-Res and becomes a more apparent issue when upgrading.

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #2,099 of 2,988
Are those immediate impressions after plugging in or did you give it some time to warm up? What songs you listening to? @tcellguy

The amp is a departure from the warmer iFi house sound. The design is closer to that of THX amps so youre hearing that right. I personally don't find it too bright but definitely more "neutral" compared to say Micro IDSD or Zen amps.

Maybe it would benefit from some "burn in" but I don't recall mine sounding all that different from when I bought over a year ago now. Its actually paired quite nicely with all the headphones I've had. Currently listening to my Diana Phi with the Diablo in bed and it sounds great from jazz to house. Either way I hope you end liking it more.
I've been listening for about 2 hours. Will have to take a break soon, this is really fatiguing. I may be sensitive to certain amps. I had to sell the THX789 due to being too fatiguing in the treble but that's the only amp I have heard that has ever caused me any issues.

Something still sounds very off about cymbals, like distortion or something. I've tried a few of the 7.4 firmwares, maybe non GTO is a bit smoother.

Genres: lol I listen to metal. The impact from the Diablo is perfect really, almost class A sounding. I just switched over to some electronic and Fleetwood Mac and that was less fatiguing. I'm going to give some classical a try.

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #2,100 of 2,988
Arenu
I've been listening for about 2 hours. Will have to take a break soon, this is really fatiguing. I may be sensitive to certain amps. I had to sell the THX789 due to being too fatiguing in the treble but that's the only amp I have heard that has ever caused me any issues.

Something still sounds very off about cymbals, like distortion or something. I've tried a few of the 7.4 firmwares, maybe non GTO is a bit smoother.

Genres: lol I listen to metal. The impact from the Diablo is perfect really, almost class A sounding. I just switched over to some electronic and Fleetwood Mac and that was less fatiguing. I'm going to give some classical a try.

Are you using a PC as a transport? Try using the phone. Better DACs becomes too resolving that it would show the issues of the transport and cables.

GTO will definitely take off the hardness of regular pcm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back