iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Apr 25, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #1,321 of 2,988
Why would you need diablo output for an iem?
I think the idea was more the other design qualities of the diablo and less the output power. I say that because I had my eyes on the Diablo as well, but needed to pass it due to thr same issue. Even the Signature with IEMatch is way too powerfull for IEMs.

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #1,322 of 2,988
I can't understand why people keep asking about Diablo and iems and then giving negative comments about it.
This is not designed for sensitive iems , it was released to fit another scope of use.
There are several other products from iFi or other brands that can suit both iems and some more demanding headphones.

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #1,323 of 2,988
I can't understand why people keep asking about Diablo and iems and then giving negative comments about it.
This is not designed for sensitive iems , it was released to fit another scope of use.
There are several other products from iFi or other brands that can suit both iems and some more demanding headphones.
Haha… it’s like people who buy open-backed headphones and complain about the poor isolation? 😜

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #1,324 of 2,988
Not to Ichos, but rather flowing on from this point raised;

Why Diablo (when wishing to use with sensitive IEMs..)?

The Diablo is fast picking up a recognition as being a very good DAC. Fair- cause, well, IT IS a a good DAC

I bought the Diablo as a good DAC. No intention to use the balanced output, but admittedly ‘a little hope’ that it would drive my in ears (roland studio monitor/Bowers and Wilkins P3s and some Cardas ear speakers primarily)-
The DAC part has been great. Comfortably sold on kit in much higher price tiers...

It is on the loud side, or ‘comfortable’ (exciting) listening level for a couple of my ‘buds’.
For longer listening sessions with them I would no doubt prefer a touch less power to them (which gets into the ‘channel imbalance‘ zone on the analogue pot).

Don’t get me wrong - I love the analogue pot (wouldn’t have bought the Diablo without it)!
But it is ‘fair to say’ that the Diablo has a lot of power on tap, and the ECO-NORMAL-TURBO switch doesn’t switch up the ranges quite the way it could.... the fact that I can listen to my sensitive over ears on all three volume settings (obviously at different spots on the dial) says that iFi might have missed a design ideal when structuring the switch.

Given previous parts in iFis lineup have catered to all users, the range in the high end price point generally proving a ‘veritable swiss army knife‘ in terms of features.
So it is fair to say that with the billions of differences in pundits hopes for any given piece of kit, that the Diablo might not make sense - some will naturally be disappointed in the reviews stating that the Diablo IS a step up in quality and purity, and many who spend money on head-fi kit, as a hobby, would therefore have the Diablo on their radars.

I had planned to run my IEMs from it (as some of them are the most clinical of my audio sources in many ways); but I actually found the Diablo as a good enough DAC that it seldom leaves my favorite 2 channel rig of home hifi seperates.
(Right now jazzing out some Mingus)

I find that the XLR output (from the rear) is of a high enough quality that I am keen to buy the NEW iFi enhanced 4.4mm to XLR output cable. (not an advert, but for those who were not aware, IT LOOKS SHINY!!)
I would be disappointed if my newest purchase and best bit of kit couldn’t power my IEMs, especially if IEMs were my better head fi, and ‘lets be fair’; the Diablo is a ‘very portable’ piece of kit, so probably sits/fits in the mind of many as ‘a match made in heaven’.

iFi ARE ONTO IT; and are no doubt working on the balanced 4.4mm IEMatch, and to me it would make sense from a sales perspective to include it with the product to catch the whole audience that might be considering the Diablo.. but of course not everyone will need the part, and so, like the iPurifier, is likely seen as candy (sweetener) that appears to be raising the price.
Personally, my take is that, tuning being factored, the R&D than has led to the Diablo, and the licensing of the design for proven/great circuits that make use of the BurrBrown DACs in a way that makes them punch well above their typical spec sheet, whilst delivering musicality not normally associated with ‘the budget market’; is fantastic. and a bargain

Of course we all have different perspectives, but from those multitude of opinions a consensus is building that the Diablo is budget cost (beer prices) for Champagne sound.
Quite a lot of pro reviewers will say that desktop setups for the same price ballpark might be able to outpunch it (just), but in terms of portable kit- it is the high watermark to hit right now.
Based on reading a few independents stating how great a DAC it is AS A PORTABLE; it makes sense that many would want to use their most portable kit with it..
Logically; the included bag doesn’t have space for ‘full sized’ over ears, so I can understand why a few pundits have been happily hoping that their IEMs would be in the majority that DO work with the Diablo. (basically anything that isn’t crazy high SPL per Watt, as the unit has shown itself perfectly happy being ‘hiss free’).

Since getting the Diablo I have only used my in ears ONCE from my expensive DAP, as the Diablo so massively improves the output quality it is hard to come back from; which is why we should all show a little more compassion for those who can’t make the marriage work.
How do you feel when you are without the love of your life? (have mercy)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #1,325 of 2,988
Haha… it’s like people who buy open-backed headphones and complain about the poor isolation? 😜
Something like that.

I understand that people who spend $1K for the Diablo would like to use it with all their arsenal but this one was made for power.

@whitedragem

As I have pointed out in my review (if you have read it) a lower gain setting would be great but I don't know if it was feasible from a technical point of view.

Surely a balanced IEmatch should be great and I believe that @iFi audio are clever enough to release one.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #1,326 of 2,988
If a company put out a “portable” product on the market, it is sure expected to be tested/used with IEMs. That can’t be ignored. We know many loves the Diablo (I did as well). But we don’t need to defend it 100%.

Much more effective, would be to include an IEMatch dongle on the package than a Clean power supply, as the Diablo itself is never driven straight from the power supply. But for sure would be expected to be used with IEMs.

Just Bad company decisions and we need to accept this fact and move on.

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #1,327 of 2,988
If a company put out a “portable” product on the market, it is sure expected to be tested/used with IEMs. That can’t be ignored. We know many loves the Diablo (I did as well). But we don’t need to defend it 100%.

Much more effective, would be to include an IEMatch dongle on the package than a Clean power supply, as the Diablo itself is never driven straight from the power supply. But for sure would be expected to be used with IEMs.

I agree and I have already mentioned it in my review if you have read it.

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #1,328 of 2,988

‘bad company decisions’ ..?;

not necessarily- the Diablo is a design built for TRUE balanced drive (previous iFi parts were not)..
the IEMatch that users would want wasn’t built yet at the time of the Diablo launch (please correct me if I am wrong)... as for many users the Diablo makes sense to be used in balanced mode (budget balanced cables raise my high end can’ output quality SOOOO much over the SE output, that, two days ago, I went back to using the SE output and actually feel like I am missing out on sound quality that the cheapest audio cables I own provide, from the Diablos balanced output..)

The iPower is useful and WAS a large part of me considering the product. (so it WASN’T a bad idea from my point of view)
The truth is iFi might have been sitting on a reasonable amount of stock of the lowly 5W iPowers and moving the stock might have been in their companies interest. Using said stock to ‘value add’ (rule in sales being ‘value add before discounting price’) to the product and help justify the purchase was a great idea.
I run the Diablo mostly in a hifi rig. For the first 100 hours or so I would run it during the day and charge it at night.
Whilst it could be ‘break in’, I have found that leaving the unit on the iPower hasn’t hurt the sound in any way, and I actually believe it might even help. (it hasn’t been something I care to scrutinise, as I trust the iPower in a way I wouldn’t trust any other ‘cheap’ wallwart)
for the small cost difference between a wall wart not using AMR tech, vs one that does, I do not feel that them passing on such a great piece of kit to us is an issue, rather it is a ‘bit of a gift’.

And, at the end of the day everyone needs to recharge the power/power the Diablo, whereas not everyone will buy a Diablo for In Ears...
Its hard to please everyone- sure- and I am not an employee or worship the ground they walk on (although I do praise the efforts as given by some of their front of house team; nice people)

What would I have done differently?
a COAX adaptor plug (as well as the TOSLINK perhaps), and a (edit) FEmale to female USB plug (so users can use ANY DAP cable they actually have handy to plug straight in)
but then I also want UAC1 USB mode, and heck, whilst we are wish listing, HDCD support.

I reckon a balanced (4.4mm) IEMATCH product will be in the works (again, correct me if IEMATCH does this already, but the threads here suggest ‘no’), and for those who have the money to buy the cleanest amp/nicest portable DAC for their IEMs, can probably buy the part they need to make them work with ‘high end‘ equipment.

Given most IEMs will work with any headphone output port, vs most over ears that can benefit from ‘better power’, the Diablo is likely mostly on the radar (the majority) for people who won’t be wanting IEMATCH. (but will still need to power/recharge the unit; and the iPower is a good unit and ‘gift’ that some may appreciate)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #1,330 of 2,988
The iPower is not useful regarding sound quality because there is no way to bypass the Diablo battery.
It always runs from the battery.
So it is a welcomed accessory but not for the Diablo itself but rather for other uses like for example a broadband router.
True, and even though they have gone to length to come up with a method that irrelevant to the power level of the battery, the output quality will be the same (not all battery hifi parts work like that), I do feel that WITH iPower(power input), the circuits are naturally capable of holding their peak output AT ALL TIMES.

I’ve had a few portable DACs/amps that I can tell when their power is ’getting low’ due to sound quality decreasing. -it is generally subtle (until it isn’t), and is only detectable generally with critical listening, but on a few instances I have wondered about ‘why the poor sound quality’, only to have the equipment power out on me shortly thereafter.

The Diablo, to me, does sound ‘more dynamic’ when well charged (and when fully charged and connected to power), but I whole heartedly agree, that I bought the Diablo planning to use the iPower for OTHER audio kit.

The iFi write up on the Diablo goes to length to talk up ‘one of the features’ is independence from battery fill level for the audio.. (this was a design goal)- if they have succeeded, then truly the wall wart quality should matter NOT AT ALL (if charging it seperate to using it), but if leaving it hooked up (like many will), then improved quality /less noise is always a good thing. (when given freely)

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #1,331 of 2,988
True, and even though they have gone to length to come up with a method that irrelevant to the power level of the battery, the output quality will be the same (not all battery hifi parts work like that), I do feel that WITH iPower(power input), the circuits are naturally capable of holding their peak output AT ALL TIMES.

I’ve had a few portable DACs/amps that I can tell when their power is ’getting low’ due to sound quality decreasing. -it is generally subtle (until it isn’t), and is only detectable generally with critical listening, but on a few instances I have wondered about ‘why the poor sound quality’, only to have the equipment power out on me shortly thereafter.

The Diablo, to me, does sound ‘more dynamic’ when well charged (and when fully charged and connected to power), but I whole heartedly agree, that I bought the Diablo planning to use the iPower for OTHER audio kit.

The iFi write up on the Diablo goes to length to talk up ‘one of the features’ is independence from battery fill level for the audio.. (this was a design goal)- if they have succeeded, then truly the wall wart quality should matter NOT AT ALL (if charging it seperate to using it), but if leaving it hooked up (like many will), then improved quality /less noise is always a good thing. (when given freely)
You only need a power input higher than the output needed. That was also explained here before and on the product writing's.

I think this discussion will get nowhere. We discussing physics vs perseption (biased).

Sorry.

Apr 26, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #1,332 of 2,988
Surely a balanced IEmatch should be great and I believe that @iFi audio are clever enough to release one.

We're aware that this product is needed :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 26, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #1,333 of 2,988
What would I have done differently?
a COAX adaptor plug (as well as the TOSLINK perhaps), and a (edit) FEmale to female USB plug (so users can use ANY DAP cable they actually have handy to plug straight in)
Toslink can be used with the adapter in the package and you can use any USB 2.0 cable with the iPurifier since it is backward compatible!

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #1,335 of 2,988
What has more bass impact: Diablo or Signature with bass boost enabled? I like the bass boost effect of my iDSD Micro BL with Aeon closed 1 and ETHER headphones. However I’m also interested in the reported improved dynamics from the Diablo.

Also, how are transients with the Diablo? Transients on the micro BL seem a bit slow or smoothed vs. faster amps like Gillmore Lite, THX 789, and Zen Can. I like both sound signatures, again just curious.

Finally, does anyone know if you can connect these to an iPad Pro via USB-c directly or need some daisy chained USB-c to USB B then Apple CCK?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back