iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Apr 22, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #1,292 of 2,988
Apr 22, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #1,294 of 2,988
I have the mqa core decoder set to off, what do I need to set the mqa capabilities to, renderer and decoder or just decoder?

Just decoder!

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,295 of 2,988
I have the mqa core decoder set to off, what do I need to set the mqa capabilities to, renderer and decoder or just decoder?
I think that decoder + renderer is the right option. i assume decoder only is only for cases you want device only to decode mqa and send the signal to another device that is doing the final rendering. if you have headphones connected directly to diablo this is not the case.

Edit: I have just read Seb's reply, so I am maybe wrong.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,296 of 2,988
I think that decoder + renderer is the right option. i assume decoder only is only for cases you want device only to decode mqa and send the signal to another device that is doing the final rendering. if you have headphones connected directly to diablo this is not the case.

Edit: I have just read Seb's reply, so I am maybe wrong.

The Diablo is a full decoder so there is no need for the renderer option! You can do either or, but our preference is to usually set the Diablo as a decoder.

Apr 22, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #1,297 of 2,988
The Diablo is a full decoder so there is no need for the renderer option! You can do either or, but our preference is to usually set the Diablo as a decoder.
Even if you tell Roon that Diablo is a decoder and renderer, it will still only do the final unfold (act as a renderer) when you enable Roon's core decoder. This is the appropriate configuration any time Roon's DSP engine is to be used, such as when I want to engage the built-in Audeze filters for my LCD-X.

So if you'd like to implement parametric EQ, for example, Roon will provide the first unfold and then send the MQA signaling along for Diablo to finish the decoding (with the designated filter for Diablo's DAC) after any DSP.

No signal processing in Roon when playing MQA? Turn their core decoder off.

All of these scenarios call for Diablo to be identified in Roon as both a decoder and renderer. Set it and forget it.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #1,298 of 2,988
No question that roon mqa core decoder should be turned off. still, it is subject to everyone personal experiment but I enjoy decoder and renderer setting more than decoder only. eg. Taylor Swift's voice on Evermore's Champagne Problems sounds softer and more natural with setting decoder and renderer. It is too raw when decoder only. Listened with ASIO driver and AKG K872 Closed back headphones.

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #1,299 of 2,988
I found it! Def much better now. Switched over to the cookies & cream firmware. Sounds great. I'll have to try the GTO again with this roon setup, but so far I'm very impressed. Way better than just using tidal app. Soundstage & general sense of space and the clearness of vocals is impressive. Still think the GTO will be better for me but I am impressed.
20210422_214438.jpg

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #1,300 of 2,988
For how many hours do you guys charge your Diablo with a supplied ifi charger?
The manual says that it should be around 6 hours

333.PNG

I my case it is definitely less, I believe it is about 3.5-4 h.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #1,301 of 2,988
For how many hours do you guys charge your Diablo with a supplied ifi charger?
The manual says that it should be around 6 hours

333.PNG

I my case it is definitely less, I believe it is about 3.5-4 h.
CMIIW, I think because it has auto discharge when it goes up to 90%
But yes, usually takes only 5 hours top even when it empty

Apr 23, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #1,302 of 2,988
So, iFi has made some changes to one of its most popular products. It is being showcased at the UK based What Hi-Fi? Virtual Show on 10am GMT on the 24th April.

To check it out, you need to go to https://www.whathifi.show/21/begin and register.

More on here next week.

WHF Virtual Show banner.jpeg

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 23, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #1,303 of 2,988
I found it! Def much better now. Switched over to the cookies & cream firmware. Sounds great. I'll have to try the GTO again with this roon setup, but so far I'm very impressed. Way better than just using tidal app. Soundstage & general sense of space and the clearness of vocals is impressive. Still think the GTO will be better for me but I am impressed.
20210422_214438.jpg
you can turn off mqa core decoder to get full potential of diablo as it can decode itself

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #1,304 of 2,988
Hmm, I got magenta on Diablo connected to iphone and Tidal app playing Masters.
Manual says that Magenta is Original Sample Rate* - MQB? What does that mean? It should be an mqa file.
So it should be either green or blue...strange...

dsd.PNG

DSC_0180_1.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #1,305 of 2,988
Hmm, I got magenta on Diablo connected to iphone and Tidal app playing Masters.
Manual says that Magenta is Original Sample Rate* - MQB? What does that mean? It should be an mqa file.
So it should be either green or blue...strange...

I will let them explain whatever "MQB" means.

The green and blue indicators confirm that unaltered MQA (green) and MQA Studio (blue) are delivered straight to the DAC.
When any processing happens along the way, but a legitimate MQA signal still arrives for final rendering, we get magenta (such as when software like Roon does the first unfold).

Your Tidal app is processing the streamed file within your iPhone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back