iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Apr 28, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #1,336 of 2,988
What has more bass impact: Diablo or Signature with bass boost enabled? I like the bass boost effect of my iDSD Micro BL with Aeon closed 1 and ETHER headphones. However I’m also interested in the reported improved dynamics from the Diablo.

Also, how are transients with the Diablo? Transients on the micro BL seem a bit slow or smoothed vs. faster amps like Gillmore Lite, THX 789, and Zen Can. I like both sound signatures, again just curious.

Finally, does anyone know if you can connect these to an iPad Pro via USB-c directly or need some daisy chained USB-c to USB B then Apple CCK?
Diablo gives you more bass quality and not quantity.
It sounds deeper, more layered with a higher dynamic range (IMHO)
I use it with Aeon C Flow and this pair is excellent to my taste since I prefer more neutral and linear sound.
So if you need more bass your choice is Signature with bass boost.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #1,337 of 2,988
Finally, does anyone know if you can connect these to an iPad Pro via USB-c directly or need some daisy chained USB-c to USB B then Apple CCK?
Direct.. Apple's not THAT idiotic.. Yet..

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #1,338 of 2,988
What has more bass impact: Diablo or Signature with bass boost enabled? I like the bass boost effect of my iDSD Micro BL with Aeon closed 1 and ETHER headphones. However I’m also interested in the reported improved dynamics from the Diablo.

Also, how are transients with the Diablo? Transients on the micro BL seem a bit slow or smoothed vs. faster amps like Gillmore Lite, THX 789, and Zen Can. I like both sound signatures, again just curious.

The Xbass of the Signature is better implemented compaired to the Black Label. I really like the Xbass on the Signature. Out of the box the bass on the diablo is a bit better (equal quantity, but a bit better quality)

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #1,340 of 2,988
OK thanks. I read somewhere on the iFI website that bitrate was limited to 44 kHz using USB-c to USB-b connector as the iPad thinks the device is a headphone. Can't confirm.
I use Amarra and it shows a higher bit rate than 44k so I HOPE it’s working…

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #1,343 of 2,988
Apr 29, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #1,344 of 2,988
Apr 29, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,345 of 2,988
I want to thank @iFi audio for their support. I had my unit replaced because of the LED thing, and they've been very helpful from beginning to end. Now happily listening and already tested, everything works great!

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,346 of 2,988
I want to thank @iFi audio for their support. I had my unit replaced because of the LED thing, and they've been very helpful from beginning to end. Now happily listening and already tested, everything works great!

Happy to help mate! Glad we could be there for you.

May 2, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #1,347 of 2,988
Long time lurker here, have been interested in upgrading from a chord mojo. Thinking about the diablo. Current Iems are Sony ier z1r and Shure kse 1200. I also have s Grado rs2e (which is easy to drive). Now for this set up probably the signature would make more sense (?) but I am considering the next step on open headphones, which likely would be the Arya. If diablo is no reco, any other tip? Should I go for a used Hugo 2?

May 2, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #1,348 of 2,988
Should I go for a used Hugo 2?
I used to own Mojo and loved it. Then thought where should I go from there? I bought Hugo 2 and iFi Diablo for direct comparison. Diablo wins on power delivery, very dynamic. Hugo 2 wins on sound quality (feels much more natural). I sold Diablo and kept Hugo 2, and then to drive more power hungry headphones I bought a portable amplifier Romi Audio BX-2 Plus, that is very transparent and fixed Hugo 2’s lack of power.

May 2, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #1,349 of 2,988
I used to own Mojo and loved it. Then thought where should I go from there? I bought Hugo 2 and iFi Diablo for direct comparison. Diablo wins on power delivery, very dynamic. Hugo 2 wins on sound quality (feels much more natural). I sold Diablo and kept Hugo 2, and then to drive more power hungry headphones I bought a portable amplifier Romi Audio BX-2 Plus, that is very transparent and fixed Hugo 2’s lack of power.
Damn, that makes all a lot of sense. Somehow I hoped that the diablo could just do it all but guess that is wishful thinking. If I get a chance maybe I can audition both to see how they compare on the mentioned iems at least.
Do you have any Iems or just the Abbys?

May 2, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #1,350 of 2,988
Do you have any Iems or just the Abbys?
Not anymore, but I did test Diablo and Hugo 2 with Custom Art Harmony 8.2 CIEMs (before I sold them). Diablo had left channel imbalance on low volume levels, Hugo 2 did not. However, I did not hear the noise floor, was black/dead quiet. However, these CIEMs are not the most sensitive ones, so not sure how applicable to your use case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back