iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Sep 21, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #2,897 of 2,990
random question:

Does the idefender(USBA female) fit in the back of Diablo usb input?

Sep 21, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #2,899 of 2,990
looking at the product page, it does seems a bit too large to me, but maybe that's just the pics?
What would be the benefit to add this one to a product already isolated from the battery powered side?
Im gonna connect it straight to another usb device/reclocker

Sep 21, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #2,900 of 2,990
I have been testing this afternoon the diablo connected through USB to my work laptop, a very standard thinkpad.
The sound is a bit more full compared to what comes from my iphone, it's suprising. Or maybe the environement is quiter (I tend to listen to music while I walk and while on the train. Yet, with my custom moulded IEM, I'm well insulated from eternal noises, weird:)

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #2,901 of 2,990
looking at the product page, it does seems a bit too large to me, but maybe that's just the pics?
What would be the benefit to add this one to a product already isolated from the battery powered side?
Diablo comes with a ipurifer3 but I want an “adapter” that does not alter the sound, and thought of the idefender.

Could this be confirmed by @iFi audio

Does the iDefender fit in the back of Diablo?

Sep 21, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #2,902 of 2,990
Diablo comes with a ipurifer3 but I want an “adapter” that does not alter the sound, and thought of the idefender.

Could this be confirmed by @iFi audio

Does the iDefender fit in the back of Diablo?

The specs on the iFi page indicate it is 20mm wide x 9mm deep.

According to my vernier caliper the opening on the back of the Diablo is 20mm x 11.5mm.

I have an OTG cable that is exactly 20mm wide x 10mm deep and it doesn’t fit the Diablo but only just because it touches at the very sharp corners of the hard aluminium outer.

I would guess that if the specs are accurate the iDefender would just fit but might need a tiny touch of plastic off the plastic corners if they are especially sharply formed.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #2,903 of 2,990
The specs on the iFi page indicate it is 20mm wide x 9mm deep.

According to my vernier caliper the opening on the back of the Diablo is 20mm x 11.5mm.

I have an OTG cable that is exactly 20mm wide x 10mm deep and it doesn’t fit the Diablo but only just because it touches at the very sharp corners of the hard aluminium outer.

I would guess that if the specs are accurate the iDefender would just fit but might need a tiny touch of plastic off the plastic corners if they are especially sharply formed.
Hmmm glad I waited ordering the Diablo.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/neo-idsd-2/

I wonder how many burr browns it has on the pcb.

(“The headphone section has seen significant improvement, as we’ve essentially integrated a Diablo headphone circuit into it”)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #2,904 of 2,990
Hmmm glad I waited ordering the Diablo.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/neo-idsd-2/

I wonder how many burr browns it has on the pcb.

(“The headphone section has seen significant improvement, as we’ve essentially integrated a Diablo headphone circuit into it”)

You were talking earlier about setting a Diablo up as desktop solution with a mains power supply.

Thorsten said that you are best to just leave it plugged into a USB charger that will also power the Diablo bypassing the battery when the battery is fully charged.

I have messed with this in the past and it works great, I just don't leave the Diablo set up permanently because I swap back and forth day to day between various DAC/amps and amps so I don't currently use the Diablo that way.

Anyway, before posting this I tried this out again because I recall that some power supplies were noisy. The modestly priced Samsung 25 watt USB-C power supply is dead quiet even with my most sensitive IEM. I have an Apple USB-A charger and an Apple USB-C charger and they both make a soft hum with sensitive IEM.

I recall that you used the iFi Elite PSU, how was that for noise when powering the Diablo ? Did you ever use sensitive IEM with the Elite plugged in and listen for power hum ?

Thanks

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #2,905 of 2,990
You were talking earlier about setting a Diablo up as desktop solution with a mains power supply.

Thorsten said that you are best to just leave it plugged into a USB charger that will also power the Diablo bypassing the battery when the battery is fully charged.

I have messed with this in the past and it works great, I just don't leave the Diablo set up permanently because I swap back and forth day to day between various DAC/amps and amps so I don't currently use the Diablo that way.

Anyway, before posting this I tried this out again because I recall that some power supplies were noisy. The modestly priced Samsung 25 watt USB-C power supply is dead quiet even with my most sensitive IEM. I have an Apple USB-A charger and an Apple USB-C charger and they both make a soft hum with sensitive IEM.

I recall that you used the iFi Elite PSU, how was that for noise when powering the Diablo ? Did you ever use sensitive IEM with the Elite plugged in and listen for power hum ?

Thanks
You are correct and The elite was very good. Its even better than some LPSU, in terms of noise, but I wanna say it was colder sounding, even though it boosted the holographic experience.

Sep 22, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #2,906 of 2,990
@BS5711 Im gonna do something interesting

No matter how less I know about electronics, I have an assumption the battery inside diablo is weak for current hungry headphones. I dont believe a bypass happens when charger is connected….Im ignorrant till I have tried “the” method on diablo.

1. I believe 3.7V psu is better and it eliminates the USBC port.

2. Idefender will be used instead of purifier3 for the purpose of an less altering adapter.

3. Mod a very durable plastic cover to replace the backplate, so not only the idefender will fit but a socket for 3.7V DC power supply.

The other purpose of the idefender is to connect it straight to ideon 3R Renaissance mk2 reclocker - and yeah it beats the ipurifer3 which is included in diablo.

But to start and test before all modding I will use it normally and see how it is.
- I will detach the idefender housing and use a really thick heatshrinking tibe so it will fitt.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #2,907 of 2,990
@BS5711 Im gonna do something interesting

No matter how less I know about electronics, I have an assumption the battery inside diablo is weak for current hungry headphones. I dont believe a bypass happens when charger is connected….Im ignorrant till I have tried “the” method on diablo.

1. I believe 3.7V psu is better and it eliminates the USBC port.

2. Idefender will be used instead of purifier3 for the purpose of an less altering adapter.

3. Mod a very durable plastic cover to replace the backplate, so not only the idefender will fit but a socket for 3.7V DC power supply.

The other purpose of the idefender is to connect it straight to ideon 3R Renaissance mk2 reclocker - and yeah it beats the ipurifer3 which is included in diablo.

But to start and test before all modding I will use it normally and see how it is.
- I will detach the idefender housing and use a really thick heatshrinking tibe so it will fitt.

Interesting project, keep us posted.

However, my experience has been, and iFi and Thorsten have acknowledged this, that yes the battery does limit the current available but the power supplied through the USB-C charging port does indeed bypass the battery and with a suitable PSU the current limit imposed by the battery no longer exists.

Thorsten, who responded your earlier questions, designed the Diablo so I suspect he is the best authority on how the battery and power supply is managed.

Sep 22, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #2,908 of 2,990

However, my experience has been, and iFi and Thorsten have acknowledged this, that yes the battery does limit the current available but the power supplied through the USB-C charging port does indeed bypass the battery and with a suitable PSU the current limit imposed by the battery no longer exists.

Thorsten, who responded your earlier questions, designed the Diablo so I suspect he is the best authority on how the battery and power supply is managed.
Hmm. Maybe its the usb cable I used before.

It felt like the audio could not follow, and got more forced upfront.

I ordered the FIBBR Alpha cable hoping it will sent a pure generic signal without any altering

Sep 22, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #2,909 of 2,990

Hmm i recall he did not. He only designed the ZENs..?

Sep 22, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #2,910 of 2,990
Hmm i recall he did not. He only designed the ZENs..?

No, he has talked about it here recently.

IMG_3865.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back