iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Aug 30, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #2,341 of 2,988
Hi everyone. I just bought a Diablo. It sounded great the 30 mins or so I was listening to it.

I then plugged it in to charge it and left it overnight. The red LED was flashing which I thought indicated that it was charging.

I wake up in the morning and I find that it's not charged. And now, the mother of all surprises, it won't even turn on!

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Aug 30, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #2,342 of 2,988
Hi everyone. I just bought a Diablo. It sounded great the 30 mins or so I was listening to it.

I then plugged it in to charge it and left it overnight. The red LED was flashing which I thought indicated that it was charging.

I wake up in the morning and I find that it's not charged. And now, the mother of all surprises, it won't even turn on!

Red flashing indicates it needs charging because its lower than 10%, it turns green after its above 25% then white means its almost done at 75%. It should stop blinking when fully charged.

Have you tried using it whilst charging? If nothing then it sounds like somethings wrong with your unit. I bought mine upon release and its been solid since.

I hope you get it resolved since this is a kickass portable.

Aug 31, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #2,343 of 2,988

Do you know which version firmware it has now?

I had this problem a couple days ago where I fully discharged mine, and it would not work before it was charged for 15minutes.

I have updated to latest firmware, just couple of days before this happened, this problem never happened before on earlier firmwares.

(If I can downgrade firmware I will test it)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #2,344 of 2,988

Did you use the ipower charger included? If not try it first. I think ipower has a red LED when plugged in.
If it’s a ipower problem, try a phone/tablet/laptop usb-c charger. Any charger that supplies 5V/2A or more should work.
Good luck.

Aug 31, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #2,345 of 2,988
Did you use the ipower charger included? If not try it first. I think ipower has a red LED when plugged in.
If it’s a ipower problem, try a phone/tablet/laptop usb-c charger. Any charger that supplies 5V/2A or more should work.
Good luck.
It needs a serious power while using it...If in use with Turbo on(12W) .. I actually bought iPower X for it. I also ordered Elite for it now.

This amp should not be charged from a usb port on computer. The included charger has 2.5A power(if I remember correctly), it needs charging juice while in use.

EDIT:
https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower/

(For charging only. Due the very high-power nature of iDSD Diablo, it will take ~12 hours and ~6 hours for a standard and high-powered (the enclosed super-silent iPower 5V) charger respectively to fully recharge the iDSD Diablo.)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #2,346 of 2,988
Do you know which version firmware it has now?

I had this problem a couple days ago where I fully discharged mine, and it would not work before it was charged for 15minutes.

I have updated to latest firmware, just couple of days before this happened, this problem never happened before on earlier firmwares.

(If I can downgrade firmware I will test it)
So you advise against upgrading to the latest firmware?

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #2,348 of 2,988
So you advise against upgrading to the latest firmware?
I am not 100% sure I have to test this where I completely discharge and see if it turns on.

When it was completely discarged, it would turn on the LED for 1 second and turn off. This I have never experienced before.

If you are on 7.4 like me then try downgrade. I will downgrade.

This one is mine
1661938671748.png

The last firmware I had, which I will downgrade to:

Firmware 7.3c – GTO Filter / MQA / DSD256 (Sub-version)​

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #2,349 of 2,988
I am not 100% sure I have to test this where I completely discharge and see if it turns on.

When it was completely discarged, it would turn on the LED for 1 second and turn off. This I have never experienced before.

If you are on 7.4 like me then try downgrade. I will downgrade.

This one is mine
1661938671748.png

The last firmware I had, which I will downgrade to:

Firmware 7.3c – GTO Filter / MQA / DSD256 (Sub-version)​

Can any of you help with this? @iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu. Would a firmware upgrade or downgrade impact the Diablo in the aforementioned way?

Aug 31, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #2,350 of 2,988
Can any of you help with this? @iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu. Would a firmware upgrade or downgrade impact the Diablo in the aforementioned way?
I've had mine since release and am on latest release always. Never had issues. In any case I DO NOT fully discharge any of my devices if I can help it with lithium ion batteries. I charge it with a USB-C cable out from my 100w charger.

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #2,351 of 2,988

I had a similar problem with the charge, when I connected it for the first time, the red flashed and the Diablo turned off and did not turn on, but then I put it on a long charge and after a while the red started flashing, then the white light turned on, and then the indicator was not lit, which probably meant that Diablo was fully charged. After that, I had no problems charging the battery. I installed all the firmwares that were on the IFI website, now I have the latest firmware installed and I am waiting for the cable from IFI 4.4 to 4.4 to try the work of Diablo as an amplifier.
Diablo is a great powerful device with good features and great sound. I use it as a desktop DAC/Amplifier.

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #2,352 of 2,988
I had a similar problem with the charge, when I connected it for the first time, the red flashed and the Diablo turned off and did not turn on, but then I put it on a long charge and after a while the red started flashing, then the white light turned on, and then the indicator was not lit, which probably meant that Diablo was fully charged. After that, I had no problems charging the battery. I installed all the firmwares that were on the IFI website, now I have the latest firmware installed and I am waiting for the cable from IFI 4.4 to 4.4 to try the work of Diablo as an amplifier.
Diablo is a great powerful device with good features and great sound. I use it as a desktop DAC/Amplifier.
My situation sounds damn similar to yours.

Its working well now. And I have to say it is a powerhouse for the price and size. Damn impressive @iFi audio.

Sep 2, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #2,354 of 2,988
My situation sounds damn similar to yours.

Its working well now. And I have to say it is a powerhouse for the price and size. Damn impressive @iFi audio.
Whats the status? Firmware?

Also using the ipurifier3?

Sep 6, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #2,355 of 2,988
I am weighing up my DAC/Amp options for use with Fostex TH900 MK2 headphones.

I have had these headphones with the Diablo a good while ago and I recall enjoying the combination but I also have heard a lot of other equipment since so my bar may of been raised since then.

The Diablo is the cheapest option for me, I don't necessarily need a portable unit as such as it will be for desktop usage only. I was impressed how well the Diablo powered my Diana TCs also. My other main choice is a dedicated amp such as the Violectric DHA V226.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the Diablo vs something like the Violectric, aside of portability, instead focusing on sound quality, is it able to compete?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back