iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Sep 6, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #2,356 of 2,988
First the stock charger, then the iPower X charger…now the Elite for the Diablo.

This “portable” keeps getting better…

I sincerly hope the next desktop from iFi will be inspired from this organic sounding beast.

Edit: OMG! there is an emphasis in the low end. The Diablo is pure goosepumps!

1-2hours of burnin…the micro-details are insane. Holy moly, will the TT2 still be my favorite.

Its like Arya has open even more up!

Edit2: iPower X vs Elite is night and day!...it feel like the planar is covering the earpads. Feel like the first time I bought the Aryas.

Attachments

• 6F3B22D6-28A1-47A4-A16A-2C398267E245.jpeg
    6F3B22D6-28A1-47A4-A16A-2C398267E245.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #2,358 of 2,988
Please note I am no longer with iFi audio as of this past month.

Sep 7, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #2,359 of 2,988
First the stock charger, then the iPower X charger…now the Elite for the Diablo.

This “portable” keeps getting better…

I sincerly hope the next desktop from iFi will be inspired from this organic sounding beast.

Edit: OMG! there is an emphasis in the low end. The Diablo is pure goosepumps!

1-2hours of burnin…the micro-details are insane. Holy moly, will the TT2 still be my favorite.

Its like Arya has open even more up!

Edit2: iPower X vs Elite is night and day!...it feel like the planar is covering the earpads. Feel like the first time I bought the Aryas.
Does the Diablo with the iPower Elite sound better than the Diablo running on its internal battery? If so, how is this explained?

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #2,360 of 2,988
Does the Diablo with the iPower Elite sound better than the Diablo running on its internal battery? If so, how is this explained?
Really interesting. I dont understand how the electronic works. There is a clear punch in the lows. Its not like the soundstage has expanded but the music is surrounding my ears to my neck, the vocal is really close!

I remember when my Arya 2 was fresh and my first midfi experience, coming from Sundara. I have this experience with it now. Like the music is “touching” my ear, certain elements.

Never thought headfi was gonna be a sport for me, but it has become a sport, my ears keeps training.

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #2,361 of 2,988
Really interesting. I dont understand how the electronic works. There is a clear punch in the lows. Its not like the soundstage has expanded but the music is surrounding my ears to my neck, the vocal is really close!

I remember when my Arya 2 was fresh and my first midfi experience, coming from Sundara. I have this experience with it now. Like the music is “touching” my ear, certain elements.

Never thought headfi was gonna be a sport for me, but it has become a sport, my ears keeps training.
There's a whole thread here on the aeon cutting off based on what charger the owner was using on the Diablo and complaining about lack of (whatever). It's related to this where the charger is doing double duty charging and powering the device and the battery being charged and powering the diablo.

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,362 of 2,988
I just received Mojo 2 a few days ago and have about 15hours listening time, driving Focal Clear MG headphones.

Delighted:
1. Love the organic natural tonality. This is especially obvious compared to EsSabre DACS including previous experiences with RME-ADI2 and Topping DX5 Pro + (new 2022 model).
It is also a more natural sounding in delivery vs iFi Diablo/Signature.
2. Some improvements in air and space between instruments compared to Mojo 1.
3. More Silky/Smooth sounding vs iFi Diablo/Signature.

Disappointed:
1. iFi Diablo/Signature has far better air and space via 4.4 connection.
2. iFi Diablo/Signature delivers better slamming low end base via 4.4 connection. More enjoyable.

Will see how it goes, but might replace with previously owned Diablo.

Any comments?

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #2,363 of 2,988
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 14, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #2,366 of 2,988
I was at that show in Montréal (I'm looking for a Dac for my home system) and when I asked the question about the use of the Diablo in this high-end system, they told me they did some blind comparative tests and found that the Diablo was better sounding than the high-end $5000+ Dacs they were using. Honestly, I am a bit scekptical... but I must admit the sound in that room was very good. Anybody else is using the Diablo in a non-headphone / home system environnement? Any comments???
ya you are right, the Diablo is really great as a dac line out via rear 4.4mm jack. I only can compare with an old R2R DAC and SMSL M400 Dac. easily can tell Diablo way more better sq. even compare to Vinyl with MQA source, Diablo sound is really that good not far vs vinyl.

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #2,368 of 2,988
I was at that show in Montréal (I'm looking for a Dac for my home system) and when I asked the question about the use of the Diablo in this high-end system, they told me they did some blind comparative tests and found that the Diablo was better sounding than the high-end $5000+ Dacs they were using. Honestly, I am a bit scekptical... but I must admit the sound in that room was very good. Anybody else is using the Diablo in a non-headphone / home system environnement? Any comments???
iFi Diablo is: pure engagement, holographic, "airless" with dry analog touch, raw, upfront, personality, scissor sharp. It definitly beats(imo) the RME ADI-2(by far), but saying it beats more expensive DAC, can be misleading, because this beast has its own personality. It can be fatiguing for long session. This dac really reveals itself in movies and games. I encourage anybody to test this up against more expensive dacs for gaming and movies, in that competition it beats my TT2, with a clear YES!

I hope iFi hears my request and makes a no-bs dac like diablo again, but in desktop version, with a dedicated LPSU(optional). Im just not into the Signature series to many features I don´t use.

iFi are you listening??? :pray::pray:

Another note: I hate reviewers saying this DAC "is good for a portable a dac, but...". They sound so non profesional, amatueur! Its dekstop performance for portable use!!!

(Sorry I read you post wrong, my impressions is from SE and 4.4 Headphone output.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #2,369 of 2,988
iFi Diablo is: pure engagement, holographic, "airless" dry analog touch, raw, upfront, personality, scissor sharp. It definitly beats(imo) the RME ADI-2(by far), but saying it beats more expensive DAC, can be misleading, because this beast has its own personality. It can be fatiguing for long session. This dac really reveals itself in movies and games. I encourage anybody to test this up against more expensive dacs for gaming and movies, in that competition it beats my TT2, with a clear YES!

I hope iFi hears my request and makes a no-bs dac like diablo again, but in desktop version, with a dedicated LPSU(optional). Im just not into the Signature series to many features I don´t use.

iFi are you listening??? :pray::pray:

Another note: I hate reviewers saying this DAC "is good for a portable a dac, but...". They sound so non profesional, amatueur! Its dekstop performance for portable use!!!

(Sorry I read you post wrong, my impressions is from SE and 4.4 Headphone output.
Glad to see that you hear how much more superior the diablo is over tt2.

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #2,370 of 2,988
Glad to see that you hear how much more superior the diablo is over tt2.
Diablo should get a couple of Awards. iFi should make a whole line based on it. RED or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back