iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Jan 18, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #139 of 2,990
I know but power is one thing, and SQ is another. Besides, Hugo2 has enough power to drive more HP well.
That said, I might get Diablo with enough positive reviews.

The Diablo apparently has a superior digital section/clocking which can bring additional sound improvements to the dac. I have the apogee element 24 interface which uses a 9016 sabre - nothing special - but it sounds superior than all other higher grade sabre chips I've heard in other dacs (like sony pha3 etc) because Apogee spent serious effort in creating the perfect home for it..

Also the Fiio M11 Pro has very good clocking, so the AKM sound very clear on it more so than other sources with same chips I've tried.

However most of these chips are fairly recent, so they have a lot of scope to eke out additional performance. The chips ifi uses are quite old now, and I'm not so sure they can scale up so much.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #140 of 2,990
I guess that

The price comes from the DAC chip is developed in house, not ordinary DAC chip most products use..

It's not developed in house, it's off the shelf chip which is quite old now. Ifi do have lot of experience with this chip however to eke out all they can out of it although maybe it's time for them to move to a newer chip or do their own ladder perhaps

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #144 of 2,990
Call me skeptical. It's 50% more expensive than the iDSD Black Label and Signature, is the same size, uses the same DAC chip, and lacks a number of features that the others have, such as XBass/3D and analog input. I own a Black Label, and while the output wasn't the absolute cleanest, it was my workhorse for years. I'll pass on this one.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #145 of 2,990
I think the selling point of the Diablo is insane power in portable package, since it's truly balanced (unlike micro signature).

But who really needs a crap-****-ton of power in such a low footprint? Who drives Susvaras with transportable device?
Not to mention IEMs + 4.4mm will be way too ****ing loud, and there's no IEmatch feature, and there's no IEmatch existing for 4.4mm.......

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #147 of 2,990
I have been following iFi since the beginning. I do want to say that, though I love seeing new products from time to time, there are major overlapping (*price, features amd intended market wise) on some of the models that don't fully make sense to me. I'll rather see fewer but better distinguished models.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #148 of 2,990
I must admit I've only been following for a couple of years, but in that time I've seen iFi release several new products, some upgrades, some overlaps. It seems quite different from most other vendors who prefer the status quo. I like the experimental nature of some of the releases, it's exciting. It's why I still follow them and why the Diablo idea is exciting. And probably why it's red. :-D Because why not?! I think it's plenty ballsy of iFi, and it's great that the folk on this forum take interest both positive and negative because that will help iFi to build a better view of the market and future releases. The combination of experimentality and the following, is why I went for this over anything else. Now my only question is - what will my ears think of it? :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #149 of 2,990
I remember the OG Micro iDSD to be inferior DAC wise to the OG Hugo but a competitor in overall sound quality as a DAC/amp. I also recall the Hugo 2 pulled away from succeeding Micro iDSDs. If the Diablo hasn't caught up to the Hugo 2, at least as a DAC/amp, I think iFi should finally consider newer DAC implementations.

Owning a slowly dying OG Micro iDSD, I've skipped the BL hoping the Signature would have the leap in quality. That not being the ultimate case, it seems I'm betting on the Diablo. I just wished iFi would offer a solution to allow Balanced solution for IEMs instead of continuously turning up the power. The days of HE-6 and AKG K1000 have long passed.

Maxing out IEM quality, imo, should be the way to go.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #150 of 2,990
Call me skeptical. It's 50% more expensive than the iDSD Black Label and Signature, is the same size, uses the same DAC chip, and lacks a number of features that the others have, such as XBass/3D and analog input. I own a Black Label, and while the output wasn't the absolute cleanest, it was my workhorse for years. I'll pass on this one.

Was my first thought as well. I do not get this device and the position on the market. Specially if I compare the prices.

And just my opinion, but the BL and the Signature looking muuuuuch better and more premium. This plastic looking red looks just ugly, sorry for the words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back