iFi audio GO pod + IEMs = brilliant wireless sound on the GO!
Aug 30, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #1,216 of 2,078
well why not share this,im worrking on my Go Pod review....and decide to compare it to one of best value ultra portable bluetooth dac-amp, the Qudelix 5K.

so, thee you gooooooo:

VS QUDELIX 5K

The 5K isn't a true wireless Bluetooth DAC-AMP, but still extremely portable and among the best sound and app control wise. In fact, this comparison underline how valuable is a proper control application to take full advantage of DAC and AMP potential.
In that regards, the 5K is from a far above other league since Go Pod don't have dedicated app to control amping gain, change sound filter, play with EQ.

Then talking about connectivity ange and stability, they are about on par but 5K seem even more stable and the special antenna it use permit even longer distance range and fewer intermitence with Wifi on, but again, very minimal so ill put both on same level here.

In term of amping power, it's quite similar since both can deliver 4vrms, i feel the dynamic is more authoritative with the Go Pod, which is surely due to an independant amp chip.

Now the sound is most important factor and these 2 don't offer similar musicality and dynamism at all. 5K is colder, cleaner and more neutral, aiming for an high fidelity reproduction of music instead of a fun and engaging one that Go Pod offer. Timbre is thinner but more transparent, bass leaner, less round and impactfull but more textured and less warm, mids are more open and crisp with more precise imaging but dryer timbre, vocal feel more recessed as well as instrument seem all on same loudness amplitude range, feeling more digital in rendering while lusher, more holographic and analog with Go Pod. Treble is more brilliant with longer natural resonance, cleaner airier openess and edgier definition. Macro dynamism is leaner, lighter in weight note and impact, not as holographic and wide and tall in spatiality.
Go Pod offer warmer, bassier and fuller bodied sound experience, the sub bass doesn't seem roll off in rumble, mids are lusher and more bodied, more fowards yet creamier and smoother too and treble is thicker so percussions feel moe tactile and 3D, less compressed in overall rendering. Sound layering is superior though transparency of timbre isn't as boosted.
To my ears, it's evident i prefer tonality and dynamic push, timbre and soundstage of Go Pod, since this is no1 reason i never hype the 5k: it doesn't trigger any emotional response and keep me away from music, while im in the middle of it with Go Pod.

Nonetheless, in term of technical performance and overall price value, it's evident the Qudelix 5K is a smarter buy....if you don't care about the cable laying around

Simply put, you described the classic IFI sound by describing the Go-Pod sound, didn't you?

So well, who likes it.
I personally like it.

Aug 30, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #1,217 of 2,078
well why not share this,im worrking on my Go Pod review....and decide to compare it to one of best value ultra portable bluetooth dac-amp, the Qudelix 5K.

so, thee you gooooooo:

VS QUDELIX 5K

The 5K isn't a true wireless Bluetooth DAC-AMP, but still extremely portable and among the best sound and app control wise. In fact, this comparison underline how valuable is a proper control application to take full advantage of DAC and AMP potential.
In that regards, the 5K is from a far above other league since Go Pod don't have dedicated app to control amping gain, change sound filter, play with EQ.

Then talking about connectivity ange and stability, they are about on par but 5K seem even more stable and the special antenna it use permit even longer distance range and fewer intermitence with Wifi on, but again, very minimal so ill put both on same level here.

In term of amping power, it's quite similar since both can deliver 4vrms, i feel the dynamic is more authoritative with the Go Pod, which is surely due to an independant amp chip.

Now the sound is most important factor and these 2 don't offer similar musicality and dynamism at all. 5K is colder, cleaner and more neutral, aiming for an high fidelity reproduction of music instead of a fun and engaging one that Go Pod offer. Timbre is thinner but more transparent, bass leaner, less round and impactfull but more textured and less warm, mids are more open and crisp with more precise imaging but dryer timbre, vocal feel more recessed as well as instrument seem all on same loudness amplitude range, feeling more digital in rendering while lusher, more holographic and analog with Go Pod. Treble is more brilliant with longer natural resonance, cleaner airier openess and edgier definition. Macro dynamism is leaner, lighter in weight note and impact, not as holographic and wide and tall in spatiality.
Go Pod offer warmer, bassier and fuller bodied sound experience, the sub bass doesn't seem roll off in rumble, mids are lusher and more bodied, more fowards yet creamier and smoother too and treble is thicker so percussions feel moe tactile and 3D, less compressed in overall rendering. Sound layering is superior though transparency of timbre isn't as boosted.
To my ears, it's evident i prefer tonality and dynamic push, timbre and soundstage of Go Pod, since this is no1 reason i never hype the 5k: it doesn't trigger any emotional response and keep me away from music, while im in the middle of it with Go Pod.

Nonetheless, in term of technical performance and overall price value, it's evident the Qudelix 5K is a smarter buy....if you don't care about the cable laying around!

Great observations! I too love my Go Pod and reach for these more and more frequently. But the 5K is a very good example of how an older product still sets the bar in many ways. 5K’s app is simply the gold standard that everyone else can only dream of achieving, if they are even dreaming - I wonder if others even realize how badly Qudelix has pantsed them. I agree that the range is also spectacular. I do find I like the timbre and the convenience of the Go Pod more and hence the 5K falls behind it, but there are a lot of lessons that iFi and others should learn from Qudelix.

Aug 30, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #1,218 of 2,078
I do like the iFi sound, it's just the package they wrap it up in is a bit too clunky for the price with a lack of features. But it's the only game in town in this category.

Curious to see if the UTSW15 are an inspired product or will be a let down.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #1,219 of 2,078
I do like the iFi sound, it's just the package they wrap it up in is a bit too clunky for the price with a lack of features. But it's the only game in town in this category.

Curious to see if the UTSW15 are an inspired product or will be a let down.
Isn't the UTSW15 just supposed to be quality of life changes like weight of the earhooks and case? And apparently some improvements to the currently piss poor charging contact solution they have? I hadn't heard anything of actual upgrades for the internals.

Been thinking about trying the iFi Go Pods (I've had the UTSW5 since release) but the charging case is a bit comically sized for pocket-ability.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #1,220 of 2,078

so, thee you gooooooo:

VS QUDELIX 5K

Nonetheless, in term of technical performance and overall price value, it's evident the Qudelix 5K is a smarter buy....if you don't care about the cable laying around!

1693424323645.png
Thanks for posting your impressions and thoughts on this post!

As with all products of this nature, to each his own must be the rule. I truly enjoyed the thought put into what each has to offer, and I am sure others will benefit from your thoughts as well!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 30, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #1,221 of 2,078
Great observations! I too love my Go Pod and reach for these more and more frequently. But the 5K is a very good example of how an older product still sets the bar in many ways. 5K’s app is simply the gold standard that everyone else can only dream of achieving, if they are even dreaming - I wonder if others even realize how badly Qudelix has pantsed them. I agree that the range is also spectacular. I do find I like the timbre and the convenience of the Go Pod more and hence the 5K falls behind it, but there are a lot of lessons that iFi and others should learn from Qudelix.
Agreed and noted! Hopefully, our folks can create something on par with what they have done!

Cheers!!

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 30, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #1,222 of 2,078
Agreed and noted! Hopefully, our folks can create something on par with what they have done!

Cheers!!
Thanks. Just in case it wasn’t clear, I love my Go Pod and knew what I was getting when I bought it. A fantastic app would be a huge bonus. And better range and quality of connection are always better - there is never enough… :)

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #1,223 of 2,078
Simply put, you described the classic IFI sound by describing the Go-Pod sound, didn't you?

So well, who likes it.
I personally like it.
perhaps....im not very experienced with iFi products, just begin to listen to the Gryphon but i do found similarities, though Gryphon have a bit better resolution....but i didnt try Ldac yet with it. i guess i should do a comparison...

right now im into crazy diversity ofn IEMs testing with Go POd...it does well enough with sensitive 9ohm multi BA like Audiosense T800, no bass distortion or invasive hiss...im surprise by this though its not best pairing in term of crispness and attack speed timing, so yes, euphony is real with Go Pod but just in micro details part like definition edge will be less sharp with super speedy music...

their something magic happening with mids of all my IEM, T800 can have hot upper mids with some source and here it go lusher, smoother, thicker....dop the same with Hiby Zeta that can have thin mids....even UM Mest MK3 got extra density to mids but with trade of in term of transparency and micro details....

i guess now my fav pairing is UM MK3.

Final A8000 is quite glorious too. Svanar too...it fit its tonality like perfect molded outfit for curvy lady....

ok, time to finish this review!

Aug 30, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #1,224 of 2,078
Excellent idea, I will try it, too!

PS: I'd also suggest to re-install the latest firmware and perform a factory reset from the GAIA App right afterwards. Keep an eye to the process and follow the instructions.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this as a last ditch effort, but after listening for a while, it started dropping the sound again. I think there is nothing to do but return it at this point.

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #1,225 of 2,078
perhaps....im not very experienced with iFi products, just begin to listen to the Gryphon but i do found similarities, though Gryphon have a bit better resolution....but i didnt try Ldac yet with it. i guess i should do a comparison...

right now im into crazy diversity ofn IEMs testing with Go POd...it does well enough with sensitive 9ohm multi BA like Audiosense T800, no bass distortion or invasive hiss...im surprise by this though its not best pairing in term of crispness and attack speed timing, so yes, euphony is real with Go Pod but just in micro details part like definition edge will be less sharp with super speedy music...

their something magic happening with mids of all my IEM, T800 can have hot upper mids with some source and here it go lusher, smoother, thicker....dop the same with Hiby Zeta that can have thin mids....even UM Mest MK3 got extra density to mids but with trade of in term of transparency and micro details....

i guess now my fav pairing is UM MK3.

Final A8000 is quite glorious too. Svanar too...it fit its tonality like perfect molded outfit for curvy lady....

ok, time to finish this review!
Looking forward to your review! Please, remember to tell which smartphone you are using to test or which DAP or whatever other device. Have you had the chance to test LHDC and aptX with your devices, do they support any of these codecs? My Samsung S23 Ultra does not support them but it will be useful for others to know.

PS: I hope you are doing all your testing using LDAC 990/909kbps fixed.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #1,226 of 2,078
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this as a last ditch effort, but after listening for a while, it started dropping the sound again. I think there is nothing to do but return it at this point.
I am really sorry it did not work for you. If you are determined to return it and get a refund, so be it. Please, try to discover what went wrong, though, because you are missing the best available device of its kind.

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #1,227 of 2,078
i get constant connection dropouts between the pod and my mobile phone (galaxy zflip 3). I updated firmware to the newest 1.52. The phone is in my pants' pocket. Even if i cover my ears with my hands the connection has dropouts. If i turn my head completely to the right or to the left the connection drops. The right hook often times then completely becomes silent after this. I need to disconnect/reconnect the pod to my phone to make the right hook work again. It happens outside of my home when i go for a walk or a jog or to bike. In my home i couldnt recoconstruct the error.

I see in these posts above that the connection issue is a reoccurring theme. I will send it back.

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #1,228 of 2,078
Looking forward to your review! Please, remember to tell which smartphone you are using to test or which DAP or whatever other device. Have you had the chance to test LHDC and aptX with your devices, do they support any of these codecs? My Samsung S23 Ultra does not support them but it will be useful for others to know.

PS: I hope you are doing all your testing using LDAC 990/909kbps fixed.
I have 3 phones....LG V30+, Huawei P30pro and Samsung S20 FE ....they all connect automatically to Ldac. i dont see LHDC or APTX option yet....well, LHDC is ON on Hiby music app but im not sure its truely supported...

right now im pairing Go Pod with a planar. and its properly driver if we get full 120mW amping. its perfect example of an IEM with 16ohm of impedance but low sensitvity of 102db that benefit extra amping.
1693491788830.png

Truely marvelous duo.

Sep 1, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #1,230 of 2,078
I have tried the Shure TW2, the Fiio utws5. The Go Pod is the most uncomfortable but the only ones that will power my empire ears legend x properly. I agree if iFi could provide some adapters with a little give/bend ability, would be helpful.
Absolutely under consideration, we will see what comes with time!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back