iFi audio GO blu - Super small. Super light. Super Sound.
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #1,021 of 1,588
I just did an update through the ios app and I noticed that spotify connect drops the connection every time i try to play something and that there is no mqa purple colour from the zen dac signature....any one knows why that is happening? Is it advised to make a factory settings restart? Will that bring back the old firmware version?

As we move into the future, our devices will not be reflecting the Magneta MQA color. They will reflect Green and Blue for MQA and MQA studio.

Thank you! At least for the interesting album :) It's on Apple Music and is claimed to be in the highest quality.
Indeed, in my past attempts, the purity of the experiment may have been compromised by my smartphone to which iFi can connect via bluetooth along with the wired connection. Although it doesn't seem to be able to do that and iFi didn't report AAC when double tapping the power button. As for the laptop, it has no bluetooth pairing with iFi.

Bottom line, I can't figure out what I learned from the last experience...
1. disabled bluetooth on the smartphone, altogether
2. connected iFi and laptop via USB wire (USB)
3. switched the power on the iFi, everything works
4. but... when double tapping the button the pleasant voice doesn't tell you anything, it's just not there. Rebooting everything and reconnecting, didn't do anything.

I'll keep experimenting :)

I hope that's how it is.

But then very curious - iFi receives a signal via USB, while possibly connected via bluetooth to a smartphone, but receives no signal from the smartphone. But it works as if it is receiving a signal from a smartphone, or say it works as if it is receiving a signal from a smartphone.

I can't get this logic out of my head. I'm going to bed now.

The Go Blu is not involved in the process of deciding what codec is used. Think of it as a mirror, it will reflect whatever your phone and laptop are telling it to.

Sadly even my JH Audio Diana hisses. Solaris, Andromeda, Dorado are unausable, even at the 3.5mm output. My small Hiby FC3 is much better in this aspect.

Please get it replaced!

I bought it with the miter wonderful and expensive green leather case. Pure jewellery. Unfortunately i had to replace it because the 3,5 mm jack out was very oblique. Is this a common issue? Can I hope for a better unit?DBFC4615-CD23-4398-A769-DA80D82D54F7.jpeg

HI,

This is not a common issue. Thanks for reporting it to us however and, do get it replaced!

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #1,022 of 1,588
I have been listening to the ifi go blu for a couple of weeks now. Had the btr5 2021 and came from couple of different daps (cowon, astell&kern). Gotta say the sound has something special... But tonight i was thinking how would it sound through usb. So took a good usb c cable to my phone (usb audio pro player) en wauwie even better. I'd say through usb-c it's 10% better than Bluetooth (Ldac) the soundstage gets wider, en a little smoother sounding. Already loved this little gem, but i love it even more now! A multifunctional 👌 great work ifi, for me the headfi buy of the year!

Thanks so much! Glad you love it.

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #1,023 of 1,588
What the minimum phase filter does to the sound?
Does connecting the go blu to my mac via the adapter in the photo would damage the battery due to the higher voltage of the usb-C? BF416AAD-A2D6-4301-864A-EF100B866B63.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #1,024 of 1,588
Thanks for keeping this thread active with new information.. I had no clue on some of the new features. Also I upgraded my device to firmware 3.05 in late December and tried the filter settings.. the default on mine was set to “minimum phase” as well, you know the purple blinking lights.l just changed it back to standard which I assume is linear phase and shows green light.. I also want to summarize all the settings and please feel free to correct me

1) volume knob rotation on device results in 1% vol increment. Where as vol increase on phone results in 4% vol increments atleast on my Android phone
2) single click on volume knob pauses and plays
3) double click on volume knob plays next song
4) triple click on volume knob plays previous song
5) single click on button below vol knob cycles between xbass/xspace. One click xbass, two clicks xspace, three clicks xbass+xspace
6) long press button below vol knob and turn on power , 3 green lights flashing voice notification of codec, cycle using the button below vol knob , 3 white lights flashing deactivation of voice notification
7) press power button thrice with device on, shows current filter settings. Cycle by using button below vol knob . 3 green lights - standard filter, 3 purple lights minimum phase filter. Looks default is set to minimum phase if using firmware 3.05

Did I miss any settings?

Lastly I couldn’t perceive any difference between filters anybody has a different experience..

Thanks
Pc

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #1,025 of 1,588
Thanks for keeping this thread active with new information.. I had no clue on some of the new features. Also I upgraded my device to firmware 3.05 in late December and tried the filter settings.. the default on mine was set to “minimum phase” as well, you know the purple blinking lights.l just changed it back to standard which I assume is linear phase and shows green light.. I also want to summarize all the settings and please feel free to correct me

1) volume knob rotation on device results in 1% vol increment. Where as vol increase on phone results in 4% vol increments atleast on my Android phone
2) single click on volume knob pauses and plays
3) double click on volume knob plays next song
4) triple click on volume knob plays previous song
5) single click on button below vol knob cycles between xbass/xspace. One click xbass, two clicks xspace, three clicks xbass+xspace
6) long press button below vol knob and turn on power , 3 green lights flashing voice notification of codec, cycle using the button below vol knob , 3 white lights flashing deactivation of voice notification
7) press power button thrice with device on, shows current filter settings. Cycle by using button below vol knob . 3 green lights - standard filter, 3 purple lights minimum phase filter. Looks default is set to minimum phase if using firmware 3.05

Did I miss any settings?

Lastly I couldn’t perceive any difference between filters anybody has a different experience..

Thanks
Pc
Appreciate the effort !

Honestly it was looking great until point 5. After that I have my eyes rolling, same as when I read the notes in the firmware zip file.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #1,026 of 1,588
The differences between the filters was almost immediate for me. The minimum phase vs normal is pretty large IMO. The X-bass is subtle and mainly boosts the sub-bass while the X-space seems to be a subtle V-shape in the midrange (if memory serves, it's been a while since I used X-space).

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,027 of 1,588
The differences between the filters was almost immediate for me. The minimum phase vs normal is pretty large IMO. The X-bass is subtle and mainly boosts the sub-bass while the X-space seems to be a subtle V-shape in the midrange (if memory serves, it's been a while since I used X-space).
Ok, what difference? My go blu arrives tomorrow and i want to compare my impression with yours

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #1,028 of 1,588

oh .. which one did you prefer.. I kept mine to standard for now but it was defaulted to min phase after fw upgrade

Jan 19, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #1,031 of 1,588
Ok, what difference? My go blu arrives tomorrow and i want to compare my impression with yours
I'm assuming you're asking about phase vs normal. The difference is similar with both balanced and unbalanced, but much more subtle unbalanced. But the main changes I hear are about the same in both (just to a different degree). It also does seem to vary a little bit from headphone to headphone. For most things I hear an upper-midrange push as well as an increase in bass. Normally the increase in bass is more mid-bass though in some circumstances it's more of a push in the low and sub-bass regions (AKG N5005 is the only example of this example of this).

oh .. which one did you prefer.. I kept mine to standard for now but it was defaulted to min phase after fw upgrade
Generally I prefer min phase.

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,032 of 1,588
I'm assuming you're asking about phase vs normal. The difference is similar with both balanced and unbalanced, but much more subtle unbalanced. But the main changes I hear are about the same in both (just to a different degree). It also does seem to vary a little bit from headphone to headphone. For most things I hear an upper-midrange push as well as an increase in bass. Normally the increase in bass is more mid-bass though in some circumstances it's more of a push in the low and sub-bass regions (AKG N5005 is the only example of this example of this).

Generally I prefer min phase.
I find min phase less edgy and fuller in the vocals, but I am very tired, maybe it's a placebo effect. Tomorrow I will perform a blind test.
Ps: the jack of the new unit is even more oblique, and the battery rattle inside. But I'm tyred of changing. I will enjoy the sound of this cause it still remain the best thanks to Good se power (165mw? I think it's an optimistic statement), availability, good (rattling) battery, os integration and simplicity. I hate eq, apps, filters, buggy functions... with my hidizs lightning Otg cable the go blu sounds even more precise. I hope that the movement on the battery will not create real problems. Can you confirm yours is having not such issues?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #1,033 of 1,588
I find min phase less edgy and fuller in the vocals, but I am very tired, maybe it's a placebo effect. Tomorrow I will perform a blind test.
Ps: the jack of the new unit is even more oblique, and the battery rattle inside. But I'm tyred of changing. I will enjoy the sound of this cause it still remain the best thanks to Good se power (165mw? I think it's an optimistic statement), availability, good (rattling) battery, os integration and simplicity. I hate eq, apps, filters, buggy functions... with my hidizs lightning Otg cable the go blu sounds even more precise. I hope that the movement on the battery will not create real problems. Can you confirm yours is having not such issues?
I have no stronger rattling on my unit. The button inside the volume wheel has alright rattle to it, but it’s barely audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back