iFi audio GO blu - Super small. Super light. Super Sound.
Jan 16, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #1,009 of 1,588
I don't understand the question a bit...
On the iFi side - I'm not aware of any Macbook software, I get the bitrate information from iFi itself (double click on the power button)
On the Quedelix side - there is an app for the Chrome browser
On the Macbook side - there's the Music program settings and there's an Audio-MIDI utility to adjust the input/output quality for each connected device

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #1,010 of 1,588
I don't understand the question a bit...
On the iFi side - I'm not aware of any Macbook software, I get the bitrate information from iFi itself (double click on the power button)
On the Quedelix side - there is an app for the Chrome browser
On the Macbook side - there's the Music program settings and there's an Audio-MIDI utility to adjust the input/output quality for each connected device
The question is, which software are you using to play hi-res files, and does GO blu report 44.1 when playing hi-res files?

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #1,012 of 1,588
Now I get it. The Music App, with the outgoing signal quality selected as "Hi-Res Losselless (ALAC to 24 bit/192 kHz)". Dropping the quality to Lossless (ALAC 24/48) has no effect on the received iFi bitrate.
Ok, I'll test with the Music app and Audirvana.

Update: ok so here are my findings.

First, check that you're not connected to a phone or the MacBook via Bluetooth. When I connected GO blu to my MacBook and double-clicked the power button, I realised it was still connected to my phone by Bluetooth, because the voice announced 'AptX Adaptive - 48kHz'. When I disconnected from my phone (with GO blu still connected via USB to the Mac), double-clicking the power button returned NO voice prompt. But, checking in Audirvana preferences I saw the GO blu was active, and supports up to 24/96 playback:

Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 18.51.50.png

Then, playing back a 24/96 file from Audirvana confirmed hi-res playback is working:

Screenshot 2022-01-16 at 19.03.33.png

I was unable to add the same album to Apple Music, so can't say for sure if it supports hi-res Flac playback, but since I don't use Apple Music I can't help you with that. All I can say is that GO blu DOES support 24/96 hi-res playback on Mac, but that support could depend on the music software you use to play back your music. I see no reason why Apple Music playing back a 24/96 file wouldn't work. Anything higher than that, of course, isn't supported by GO blu in hardware.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #1,013 of 1,588
Thank you! At least for the interesting album :) It's on Apple Music and is claimed to be in the highest quality.
Indeed, in my past attempts, the purity of the experiment may have been compromised by my smartphone to which iFi can connect via bluetooth along with the wired connection. Although it doesn't seem to be able to do that and iFi didn't report AAC when double tapping the power button. As for the laptop, it has no bluetooth pairing with iFi.

Bottom line, I can't figure out what I learned from the last experience...
1. disabled bluetooth on the smartphone, altogether
2. connected iFi and laptop via USB wire (USB)
3. switched the power on the iFi, everything works
4. but... when double tapping the button the pleasant voice doesn't tell you anything, it's just not there. Rebooting everything and reconnecting, didn't do anything.

I'll keep experimenting :)

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2022-01-17 в 00.30.03.png
    Снимок экрана 2022-01-17 в 00.30.03.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,014 of 1,588
Thank you! At least for the interesting album :) It's on Apple Music and is claimed to be in the highest quality.
Indeed, in my past attempts, the purity of the experiment may have been compromised by my smartphone to which iFi can connect via bluetooth along with the wired connection. Although it doesn't seem to be able to do that and iFi didn't report AAC when double tapping the power button. As for the laptop, it has no bluetooth pairing with iFi.

Bottom line, I can't figure out what I learned from the last experience...
1. disabled bluetooth on the smartphone, altogether
2. connected iFi and laptop via USB wire (USB)
3. switched the power on the iFi, everything works
4. but... when double tapping the button the pleasant voice doesn't tell you anything, it's just not there. Rebooting everything and reconnecting, didn't do anything.

I'll keep experimenting :)
Yep, as far as I can tell it only tells you the bitrate when connected to Bluetooth. Rest assured you're getting full 24/96 support from the Mac as long as your software is playing files at that bitrate and you're connected via USB. If you're connected to an iPhone or Mac via Bluetooth, the max you'll get is AAC (44.1khz).

Jan 16, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #1,015 of 1,588
I hope that's how it is.

But then very curious - iFi receives a signal via USB, while possibly connected via bluetooth to a smartphone, but receives no signal from the smartphone. But it works as if it is receiving a signal from a smartphone, or say it works as if it is receiving a signal from a smartphone.

I can't get this logic out of my head. I'm going to bed now.

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #1,016 of 1,588
I received mine yesterday and immeadiately send it back. This thing is nearly unuasable with all of my IEMS (Solaris, Fourte, Dorado, Diana) ... hiss, hiss, hiss even on the 3.5mm jack. This is unacceptable for a 200€ device. Even much cheaper devies perform much better.
That doesn’t sound right. I haven’t run into a single IEM that has any noticeable hiss with the 3.5mm jack. Might want to talk to iFi support about that.

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #1,017 of 1,588
Sadly even my JH Audio Diana hisses. Solaris, Andromeda, Dorado are unausable, even at the 3.5mm output. My small Hiby FC3 is much better in this aspect.

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #1,019 of 1,588
I bought it with the miter wonderful and expensive green leather case. Pure jewellery. Unfortunately i had to replace it because the 3,5 mm jack out was very oblique. Is this a common issue? Can I hope for a better unit?DBFC4615-CD23-4398-A769-DA80D82D54F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #1,020 of 1,588
I have been listening to the ifi go blu for a couple of weeks now. Had the btr5 2021 and came from couple of different daps (cowon, astell&kern). Gotta say the sound has something special... But tonight i was thinking how would it sound through usb. So took a good usb c cable to my phone (usb audio pro player) en wauwie even better. I'd say through usb-c it's 10% better than Bluetooth (Ldac) the soundstage gets wider, en a little smoother sounding. Already loved this little gem, but i love it even more now! A multifunctional 👌 great work ifi, for me the headfi buy of the year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back