iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
May 21, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #62 of 1,190
@Sebastien Chiu
I will try to post some first impressions from the show but stay tuned because I have already arranged a Go bar vs Go bar Gold review!

More Gold!!!!! Hope you're enjoying Munich!

May 21, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #64 of 1,190
And here I thought what we needed was dongles that drew LESS power.

I’m not sure I fully understand the market for dongles with no battery. I have one, but it’s more of an “in a pinch” solution than anything else. Battery powered DAC/AMP/Bluetooth seems like the best solution. But of course my use cases aren’t everyone’s so take my comments with a grain of salt.

May 21, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #65 of 1,190
I’m not sure I fully understand the market for dongles with no battery. I have one, but it’s more of an “in a pinch” solution than anything else. Battery powered DAC/AMP/Bluetooth seems like the best solution. But of course my use cases aren’t everyone’s so take my comments with a grain of salt.

True, usb dac/amps with a built in battery and higher output power are still quite popular as "external" sound card for your phone, tablet, or laptop. But many are not as portable. The idea behind a dongle was a simplified design in a compact package which became popular after phones started to lose their 3.5mm headphone jacks. It included a basic DAC to bridge a gap between your usb-c/lightning socket and 3.5mm wired headphones. Now, manufacturers are taking it to the next level which is not quite as bulky as majority of usb dac/amp, but a little bigger than a basic dongle to host higher end dacs, amps with a more powerful output, some controls (volume) and the access to both 3.5mm and 4.4mm headphone jacks. It's just the next gen of dongles targeted toward those who still prefer something more compact.

May 21, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #67 of 1,190
One concern in battery in dongle is battery degradation, 5~10% a year on good battery system.
More than that in cheapo battery system.

Keep that battery in smartphone, your batteryless dongle will have no such issue.
and smartphone battery while no "user" replacable, it is replacable in repair store.
Not sure how you could replace battery in things like BTR5.

May 21, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #69 of 1,190
Why the IEmatch? Why not just make it silent to begin with. There are many units out there that perform fairly well without the need. The fact this has been added makes me assume it's required for any CA or very sensitive IEM. Been my main gripe with Ifi as of late - otherwise I have a lot of faith this will sound absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #70 of 1,190
Why the IEmatch? Why not just make it silent to begin with. There are many units out there that perform fairly well without the need. The fact this has been added makes me assume it's required for any CA or very sensitive IEM. Been my main gripe with Ifi as of late - otherwise I have a lot of faith this will sound absolutely fantastic.
I guess it exp to make a amp w low noise and high power. So iematch came about, w the expense of sound quality.

May 22, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #71 of 1,190
That is a very high power for a dongle that runs off the "external" smartphone battery. For laptop shouldn't be a problem, but not sure if iPhone can handle it when you push the volume higher. Curious to see measurements of current draw when connected to smartphone.
Inbuilt powerbank?:

Panasonic OS-CON caps totaling 5,410uF give very-low Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR), excellent noise reduction capability and frequency response characteristics. In addition, OS-CONs have a long-life span and its ESR changes little even at low temperatures since the electrolyte is solid.

They are not often found in products costing <US$1000.

May 22, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #72 of 1,190
Inbuilt powerbank?:

Panasonic OS-CON caps totaling 5,410uF give very-low Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR), excellent noise reduction capability and frequency response characteristics. In addition, OS-CONs have a long-life span and its ESR changes little even at low temperatures since the electrolyte is solid.

They are not often found in products costing <US$1000.
Good caps will protect your sound from running out of short-term power, but they don't provide electricity above that which has been sucked out of the phone. If your dongle needs lots of power, the phone has to provide it.

May 22, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #74 of 1,190
Can this be run off an iphone ?

May 22, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #75 of 1,190
Can this be run off an iphone ?

Good question that hasn't been addressed so far. I'm guessing it won't work well due to the higher power draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back