iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
May 23, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #91 of 1,190
C56FD1F3-418F-4155-821A-2ABD8A4759CE.jpeg
0787CE68-D98B-480A-97AA-658A71021ACC.jpeg

It’s pretty heavy for it’s size.

May 23, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #92 of 1,190
How to use this as a preamp with 2V out?

May 23, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #93 of 1,190
Well, here's what I don't understand (and I apologize if this is somewhat off topic). AFAIK, only the Tidal Windows app allows you to turn off software MQA decoding in the app and let your decoder equipped DAC to do all the work. So when I use Tidal on my Windows laptop, I turn off decoding and let my Topping D90 (the old discontinued AKM 4499 version) do it; the display properly shows when it is playing an MQA track. However, for some reason unfathomable to me, unless I'm missing something (and I've looked really hard) neither the Android or iOS Tidal apps give you the option to turn off in-app software decoding. So when I use an iPad or Android device to stream Tidal to a Gustard X16 (which does MQA decoding) in another part of my apartment, the Tidal app decodes MQA before sending it to the DAC. The X16 does not show MQA but instead displays OFS (see below). I've tried sending Tidal to the Topping from an Android device and it also indicates OFS. So, if the Android and iOS apps always decode MQA in software is there any advantage to using a device with an MQA decoder unless you use it with the Windows app?

BTW, iFi happens to have a support article on this. OFS stands for Original Frequency Spectrum, but that is all I understand from the article. I have a BA and JD from two of the best schools in the US and I can't for the life of me parse the gibberish in that article.
How do you turn off the MQA decoding in the Tidal Windows app? I also use the Topping you have.

May 23, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #94 of 1,190

It’s pretty heavy for it’s size.
That’s one thing that concerns me with this dongle is weight. If using it as a portable device I feel you need a way to attach it to device. The nice thing is cable is replaceable, still having dongle dangling might be too much weight and could see it leading to cable issues.
I used a L shaped usb connection like pictured below with Velcro with other dongle so added a picture for reference. There’s also possible using what’s pictured in second picture, with side buttons it might not be possible.
96445769-71D4-4EA6-A6D1-3E61D1EBBAC3.jpeg
E451CD9D-E6D1-4DB9-B67C-7C07C08A3732.jpeg

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #96 of 1,190
That’s one thing that concerns me with this dongle is weight. If using it as a portable device I feel you need a way to attach it to device. The nice thing is cable is replaceable, still having dongle dangling might be too much weight and could see it leading to cable issues.
I used a L shaped usb connection like pictured below with Velcro with other dongle so added a picture for reference. There’s also possible using what’s pictured in second picture, with side buttons it might not be possible.96445769-71D4-4EA6-A6D1-3E61D1EBBAC3.jpegE451CD9D-E6D1-4DB9-B67C-7C07C08A3732.jpeg
Where did you find that clever L shaped connector?

May 23, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #97 of 1,190
Is that problem with tidal app?
When you launch tidal, is app asked about access to your DAC?
If no, maybe USB audio player pro is your opinion for this moment
No, when I launch Tidal with iOS or Android while connected to the USB input of the Gustard X16, I do not get any query about allowing access to the DAC. I bought and have tried to use USB Audio Pro with Android (BTW, when that app is installed I do get a message about allowing access to that app when connecting my Samsung tablet to the DAC) but when I use that app, Tidal frequently and randomly pauses. It restarts as soon as I hit the power button. This happens every time I try to use it and is very annoying, so I gave up.
How do you turn off the MQA decoding in the Tidal Windows app? I also use the Topping you have.
Click the button to select your DAC (it's on the right side of the bottom pane with playback information on the current track) and you will get all your choices. Generally, I get two choices for the same connected external DAC--one says default and one says speakers--but only speakers will show a selection for "More settings" when you select it. Click that DAC and then click More settings. You will get options to use exclusive mode, set the app volume to max and control volume with the external device, and to disable software MQA decoding,

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #98 of 1,190
As per GO bar's manual published here: https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/GO-bar-User-Manual_Ver1.1_ok.pdf

...the product features four digital filters:
  1. 'BP' (Cyan) Bit-Perfect: no digital filtering, no pre or post ringing
  2. 'STD' (Red) Standard, modest filtering, modest pre and post ringing
  3. 'MIN' (Yellow) Minimum phase, slow roll-off, minimum pre and post ringing
  4. 'GTO' (White) Gibbs Transient-Optimised: upsampled to 352/384kHz, minimum filtering, no pre ringing, minimum post ringing
Thanks!

It describes the STD filter, but doesn't state if it is a linear phase filter or something else.

May 23, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #99 of 1,190
I really hope someone will do some proper measurement on Go Bart, especially normal vs. gold version. Generally I quite trust iFi to develop good hardware, but the Go Bar is at a price point that I'll personally like to see a bit more data before grabbing one, at least more than just subjective opinion.

May 23, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #100 of 1,190
No, when I launch Tidal with iOS or Android while connected to the USB input of the Gustard X16, I do not get any query about allowing access to the DAC. I bought and have tried to use USB Audio Pro with Android (BTW, when that app is installed I do get a message about allowing access to that app when connecting my Samsung tablet to the DAC) but when I use that app, Tidal frequently and randomly pauses. It restarts as soon as I hit the power button. This happens every time I try to use it and is very annoying, so I gave up.

Click the button to select your DAC (it's on the right side of the bottom pane with playback information on the current track) and you will get all your choices. Generally, I get two choices for the same connected external DAC--one says default and one says speakers--but only speakers will show a selection for "More settings" when you select it. Click that DAC and then click More settings. You will get options to use exclusive mode, set the app volume to max and control volume with the external device, and to disable software MQA decoding,

Thanks for the above suggestions. I had to enable "exclusive mode" to get the Topping to display MQA.

May 23, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #101 of 1,190
See below

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #102 of 1,190
Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #103 of 1,190

Users who are viewing this thread

Back