iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Oct 23, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #631 of 1,199
I saw a comment about a usb-c to usb-c cable (GUCraftsman OTG Cable) that works with the go bar.

I am looking for a good quality third party ligthing to usb-c cable because the included one kees breaking and I am already on my second replacement.

Some others I have tried and that do not work with the go bar
- ddhifi MFi06 lights don’t go on.
- OEOTG Digital Calbe, lights go on but when play is started the lights go off.

Before I order another cable I'm hoping that someone can confirm a cable that works with the go bar.

Otherwise I am pretty happy with the go bar, the sound it provides is a nice upgrade.

I use the Apple camera kit with the power supply: https://www.apple.com/it/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/adapter-for-camera-lightning-usb-3.
I connect it to the iPhone, connect the power supply lightning, and any decent quality usbA-usbC cable works.

Oct 23, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #632 of 1,199
I saw a comment about a usb-c to usb-c cable (GUCraftsman OTG Cable) that works with the go bar.

I am looking for a good quality third party ligthing to usb-c cable because the included one kees breaking and I am already on my second replacement.

Before I order another cable I'm hoping that someone can confirm a cable that works with the go bar.

Otherwise I am pretty happy with the go bar, the sound it provides is a nice upgrade.
I can confirm that none of the Lightning DDHiFi 06-series OTG cables work. I have the 10cm straight, 10cm L and 50cm straight end cables and none work.

I have the new TC09 USB-C and TC28i Pro Lightning to USB-C adapter w power input port on order coming this week. I’ll reply back if they work.

Oct 23, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #633 of 1,199

The ios lightning to USB-C version of the Gucraftsman cable pictured on the previous cable, the version also sold here, seems to work very well according to most of the user reviews that are to be found on the page :

512-9r7HgJL._SX522_.jpg

I have even ordered one myself on the basis of those reviews.

Oct 23, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #634 of 1,199

I left that comment. Please consider there are different Models and firmware of the iPhone so no guarantees, I am using an iPhone 14 Max which has a large battery. The Go Bar draws its power from the device so please take this into consideration. All of these cables should work but I have read that some people were having problems with the iPhone 13 using the iFi cables.
What Definitely works for me:
-"Meenova" makes both variations- to my ear, the USB-C to USB-C was not quite as warm and detailed as the silver Gucraftsman. On some tracks yet other times they sound the same so go figure. The lightning version definitely works on an iPhone 14 Max. The Meenova is 400mA.**

-Fiio LT3 USB-C to Lightning also work well and advertise lossless support. You can feel it is a well-made cable but I spend most of my time on an iPad so I can just say they work well. (you can find the best price at Audio46)

As I have mentioned earlier in this thread- "Most of the Lightning OTG cables, which have an output of 3.3V 100mA cannot fill the need for portable DACs. 5V 200mA should work well -However, I thought the "ddhifi" is 200mA so it should theoretically work.

Gucraftsman-
I have only used the USB-C to USB-C version as the lightning Gucraftsmen has been delayed in fulfillment. However, it wasn't Prime when I first ordered.
I just went on Amazon and saw the lightning version became available for Prime fulfillment so I reordered for Monday delivery and canceled my previous order.
I have been using the cable for a couple of weeks and IMHO it is excellent in every way. It is similar to the "ddhifi" which gives me pause for concern in your application but it is 400mA.

**As I have said earlier in this thread- "Most of the Lightning OTG cables, which have an output of 3.3V 100mA cannot fulfill the need for portable DACs. 5V 200mA output should be optimal: However, I believe the "ddhifi" is 200mA so it should theoretically work.
To the best of my knowledge the above I mentioned Meenova is 400mA."

I have only used the USB-C to USB-C version as the Gucraftsmen My lightning order has been delayed in fulfillment. However, it wasn't Prime at that time.
I just went on Amazon and saw the lightning became available for Prime fulfillment so I reordered for Monday delivery and canceled my previous order

If you can get the Prime deal check out the Gucraftsman- its SQ is so very good. I can't attest to its long-term viability but it has excellent construction. You have a 30-day return window.

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #635 of 1,199
Thanks for all the tips, I didn’t mention that I use a iPhone 12 pro max with the Go Bar, but when testing the cable I also check it out on my old iPad pro.

i saw some great options in the previous posts and opted for the ddhifi mfi09s because it was available from an European webshop.

Hopefully the cable works, I will give an update when it is delivered.

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #636 of 1,199
I haven’t used that specific cable but have read about it. I know there were a lot of problems with the iphone 13 but I havent heard any complaints about the iPhone 12. It appears to be an awesome looking cable and it is made specifically for dongle Dac/amps. Let me know if it works and how it sounds. It has an awesome quality construction.

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #637 of 1,199
Thanks for all the tips, I didn’t mention that I use a iPhone 12 pro max with the Go Bar, but when testing the cable I also check it out on my old iPad pro.

i saw some great options in the previous posts and opted for the ddhifi mfi09s because it was available from an European webshop.

Hopefully the cable works, I will give an update when it is delivered.
I just got the DDHIFI 09 50cm USB-C version version and it works great with the Gold Bar off my USB-C iPad Pro.

Let us know about the 10cm lightning version. I really like the construction of the 50cm version.

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #638 of 1,199
next

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #639 of 1,199
I recall you posted you were having problems with some of the Ddhifi 06 Cables. Their line is so extensive I have trouble following all the differences.
What is the difference besides length between the ones that work and the ones that don’t? I would love to find a longer cable that performs as well.
50cm is incredibly long for an OTG dongle cable. Are there any tradeoffs in SQ, host battery life, anything you may have noticed?
And do you find the silver cables giving you a warmer sound than the OEM?
Thanks. I’m still trying to get every bit of sound quality out of the Go Bars and I have found that cables really do make a marked difference.

Oct 24, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #640 of 1,199
The ios lightning to USB-C version of the Gucraftsman cable pictured on the previous cable, the version also sold here, seems to work very well according to most of the user reviews that are to be found on the page :

512-9r7HgJL._SX522_.jpg

I have even ordered one myself on the basis of those reviews.
Can you comment on sound quality yet? I wont have my lightning version for a couple more days. The flexibility of the sister cable is awesome. If it holds up, I may consider this manufacturer for headphone cable upgrades. I have a half dozen OTG cables but none have this quality.

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #641 of 1,199
Can you comment on sound quality yet? I wont have my lightning version for a couple more days. The flexibility of the sister cable is awesome. If it holds up, I may consider this manufacturer for headphone cable upgrades. I have a half dozen OTG cables but none have this quality.
Not yet, but I am tapping my foot in anticipation:

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 8.41.47 PM.png

Oct 24, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #642 of 1,199
Not yet, but I am tapping my foot in anticipation:

My iPhone version is arriving on Wednesday. When using the USB-C to USB-C version with my iPad Pro, I find it amazing how good the sound. quality is. With this cable the Go Bar literally allowed me to move away from my desktop set up and take my iPad with me from couch to recliner using TOTL headphones.

I do have the LCD-5 and in balanced mode, I can’t play them loud but it’s incredible.the depth and clarity this mini DAC/Amp provides.

I mainly listen with either my Focal Utopia or Stella, depending on, if I’m alone.

I’d be curious if the GO Bar have the power to drive some of your high-end cans. I purchased the Go Bar gold, which I have been keeping in the box while trying to get a case from China, and really enjoying the vanilla Go Bar going from room to room-I’m using it more than the new Mojo 2 that I bought for in-house portability.

Have fun and if you’re up to it, let me know how it sounds with some of the more demanding headphones you have.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #643 of 1,199
I recall you posted you were having problems with some of the Ddhifi 06 Cables. Their line is so extensive I have trouble following all the differences.
What is the difference besides length between the ones that work and the ones that don’t? I would love to find a longer cable that performs as well.
50cm is incredibly long for an OTG dongle cable. Are there any tradeoffs in SQ, host battery life, anything you may have noticed?
And do you find the silver cables giving you a warmer sound than the OEM?
Thanks. I’m still trying to get every bit of sound quality out of the Go Bars and I have found that cables really do make a marked difference.

Here are some pictures of the cables I’ve been trying and a comparison between the 06 and 09 series DDHiFi cables - it’s a clear quality upgrade. The 06’s work fine with my BTR7 and Mojo2 which are both powered internally by their own batteries. They also worked with the Questyle M15 I briefly had but I think it had lower power requirements. The Gold Bar is the first situation where they *haven’t* worked.

09 on left and 06 on right:

CEC18EF7-FA1B-4C82-8BA2-43BC76414DA4.jpeg

I forgot I had a FiiO brand Lightning OTG cable in the box with my BTR7 so I got it out and it worked! It’s similar in construction design to the Gucraftsman you all are buying so hoping that one works for you.

Here is the iFi cable, the FiiO, and the two other shorter DDHiFi 06 cables that don’t work. When using the 06’s the lights come on but when I try to play music the Gold Bar dies and stops being detected by the Apple device…then the Lightning-based phone or iPad will just play music from its internal speaker. Sometimes the Gold Bar will reset, music pauses, lights come back on, but as soon as you press Play, the Bar dies again. Seems to be inadequate power.

78192C5E-8A85-4B4B-958A-A0ADF221DFBE.jpeg

Oh and also importantly, I bought this DDHiFi TC28i Pro which is a Lightning USB-C OTG adapter that allows charging of your iPhone/iPad while using an OTG device. It does NOT provide enough pass thru power to drive my Gold Bar. It also does NOT charge your phone if you’re using a USB-PD USB-C cable connection, I had to use a standard USB-A or USB-C to USB-C charger to get my phone to charge.

Gold/Go Bar - NO
USB-C PD (like MacBook or Laptop charger): No

Mojo2/BTR7/lower power consumption device: Yes
Standard USB or USB-C charger (like what comes with iPhone or iPad): Yes

4748667D-0C19-448F-8208-E5AFC062D6EF.jpeg

18C48239-76E9-4894-B355-D862F429C6DD.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #644 of 1,199
Sounds like it is the power requirement of the specific iPhones model and battery that changes the equation. I bought a Fiio LT-LT3 lightning OTG cable during my search and it too worked perfectly. I am using a 14 Max which has the largest most powerful iPhone battery. Most OTG lightning cables work fine. Just a thought.

OT- how do you compare the Go Bar to the Mojo 2 in sound quality only- none of the extras.
I find myself using the Mojo2 much less for transportable use since I acquired the Go Bar.
Your thoughts ?

Oct 26, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #645 of 1,199
Sounds like it is the power requirement of the specific iPhones model and battery that changes the equation. I bought a Fiio LT-LT3 lightning OTG cable during my search and it too worked perfectly. I am using a 14 Max which has the largest most powerful iPhone battery. Most OTG lightning cables work fine. Just a thought.

OT- how do you compare the Go Bar to the Mojo 2 in sound quality only- none of the extras.
I find myself using the Mojo2 much less for transportable use since I acquired the Go Bar.
Your thoughts ?

I love my Gold Bar - you should break yours out and compare it to the Go and post your impressions on the differences - you own both, right?

I played with all the settings and I enjoy the normal “red” Standard filter the most. Sometimes I play with XSpace and XBass but for the most part, I leave them off. The default settings are great.

I use the Gold Bar primarily to drive my Focal Stellias via the 4.4 pentaconn connector using Danacable Reference Plus cables for the Focals. Sounds amazing.

I have been using the Gold Bar more than the Mojo2 lately, considering you can fit ~6 Gold Bars in the same space as a Mojo2, volume wise. I’m keeping the protective coatings on (scotch-taped together) until I can get a case for this thing.

@iFi audio: PLEASE MAKE A CASE!

76A8BBAC-8BFC-4C3B-9A31-F18DB50941EF.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back