iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Oct 16, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #586 of 1,199
Congrats- I've said it before- the Hip Dac colors bass. I get nothing from the regular Go Bar Zero sound change on Xbass. I am awaiting a new Gold Go Bar and wondering- it seems like none were available for a month and now they popped up. Do you mind if I ask where you purchased the Gold Go Bar and how it is handling MQA? Any pops or distortion?
I got it here in head-fi as one gentleman was selling it here and I grabbed it.
I haven’t used Tidal yet and no pops and distortion via Qobuz app or Roon

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #587 of 1,199
I believe you beat me out in a classified last week. Your payment came in as I was waiting for the PayPal address. Anyway good luck. I bought a new one and I’m just a little wary of where these popped up but it’s a Legit dealer. . Will find out soon.

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #588 of 1,199
Congrats- I've said it before- the Hip Dac colors bass. I get nothing from the regular Go Bar Zero sound change on Xbass. I am awaiting a new Gold Go Bar and wondering- it seems like none were available for a month and now they popped up. Do you mind if I ask where you purchased the Gold Go Bar and how it is handling MQA? Any pops or distortion?
I am not a regular Tidal user but I just tested few MQA tracks and i see magenta color under MQA in Ifi Gold bar and played and changed few songs and no pops or distortion yet.

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #589 of 1,199
Hi Rowan, so glad I can reach a human. I bought a Go Bar and it had been opened I suppose as there were no cables. I bought dac cables on Amazon but they drain my iPad and my iPhone doesn’t work. Where can I buy the original cables lightning to USB-C and USB-C to USB-C. The links I have found on the Ifi USA page lead me to a USB-A female to USB-C OTG cable..
I opened the box and now I can‘t exchange it.
plese advise
Please can you PM me where you bought your GO bar as the cables should have been included.
Got my Gold Bar yesterday! Seems to work OK on my Mac with the Tidal app, with the Green MQA LED lighting up. However, using my M1 iPad Pro or iPhone 13 Pro Max and the ifi-supplied cables (USB-C for iPad, Lightning for iPhone… I’ve tried others, too), I get the pink MQA light and some glitchiness - dropouts during playback usually after starting a Master/MQA song and around ~0:07 to 0:12 seconds in. I get the same results on v2.20 and 2.2a firmware. I even get occasional horrible blasting static noise when switching tracks, however that is more difficult to reproduce. All iOS devices are at latest sw version, Tidal is updated and devices have a fresh reboot.

Again, this dropout/glitch happens in the Tidal app on MQA songs w the pink MQA LED lit. Any advice or other’s experiencing this?
Please can you open up a ticket for our support team. They will be able to help troubleshoot and get to the bottom of your issue more effectively. :) https://support.ifi-audio.com
If I have time I’ll reproduce and video.

ifi: should I even bother or should I just request an exchange?
If you can please replicate your issue and send the video in the ticket for our support team, this will help them understand what is going on. Thank you :relaxed:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 16, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #590 of 1,199
Got my Gold Bar yesterday! Seems to work OK on my Mac with the Tidal app, with the Green MQA LED lighting up. However, using my M1 iPad Pro or iPhone 13 Pro Max and the ifi-supplied cables (USB-C for iPad, Lightning for iPhone… I’ve tried others, too), I get the pink MQA light and some glitchiness - dropouts during playback usually after starting a Master/MQA song and around ~0:07 to 0:12 seconds in. I get the same results on v2.20 and 2.2a firmware. I even get occasional horrible blasting static noise when switching tracks, however that is more difficult to reproduce. All iOS devices are at latest sw version, Tidal is updated and devices have a fresh reboot.

Again, this dropout/glitch happens in the Tidal app on MQA songs w the pink MQA LED lit. Any advice or other’s experiencing this?
I have the same problem, with the iPhone 13 pro MAX and the Gold Bar. Could it be a bug in the Tidal app? I think so because even with the Gryphon I have similar disturbances, always towards the beginning of the songs. Both Gold Bar and Gryphon are updated to the latest firmware release. As soon as I can, I'll try the Mconnect app if it has the same problem.

Oct 17, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #591 of 1,199
have spent few hours listening to Gold Bar and have to say the strong suit is tonality. JVC FDX01 is slightly leaner. Ifi Gold Bar does give some meat to sound. Tonality wise it's difficult to fault anything in it. Only issue I have is the depth and layering that I am used to listening out of Desktop amp is missing here but may be it's a big ask from dongle. The imaging is great, we can locate each instrument but to me out of JVC it all feel to be in single horizontal line with decent width. I miss the depth in few songs and layering. Otherwise tonality, timbre and power is great. Non Fatiguing sound and the bass has oomph. The transient is fast and keeps us engaged.

It does get warm as well and just enough to be not kept in the pocket. As compared to RU6, this gold bar is a step up. I couldn't use JVC FDX01 with RU6 . It was bright but with Gold Bar its so much better. RU6 from memory had some trickery with soundstage where it felt more wider and deeper but I would easily trade it up for perfect tonality and texture out of gold bar

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #592 of 1,199
just did A-B between RU6 and Go Bar. RU6 upper mids is forced and treble has more energy. Ifi Gold bar is even handed. 30 mins of listening with brighter IEM with RU6 will cause fatigue but Ifi Gold bar will go on. It's not that Gold bar doesn't have energy in treble but I feel the energy is even and doesn't accentuate anything

Oct 18, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #593 of 1,199
I'm getting uber antsy for a case to put my gold bar which will allow me to use it too. After looking at the dimensions, I have come down to two ideas:
- Cut a hole in the leather case that comes with the Go bar which would allow me to use the USB-C port on the device while it is in the case
- Try a case built for something else

As an owner of the Cayin RU6 in the past, has anyone tried the leather case that comes with it on the go bar? They seem to be very similar in size.
2022-09-27_17-25-08.jpg
The leather case of RU6 is wider and wont fit gold bar.

Oct 19, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #594 of 1,199
Perfected

PSX_20221019_182342.jpg

PSX_20221019_182359.jpg

PSX_20221019_182418.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #595 of 1,199
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #596 of 1,199
Please can you PM me where you bought your GO bar as the cables should have been included.

Please can you open up a ticket for our support team. They will be able to help troubleshoot and get to the bottom of your issue more effectively. :) https://support.ifi-audio.com

If you can please replicate your issue and send the video in the ticket for our support team, this will help them understand what is going on. Thank you :relaxed:
No need to reproduce it. I just heard it and it's a shocker. The Go Bar was pretty warm as it had been on for about an hour and in Tidal when it switched to MQa, "schreeech". I am glad I wasn't listening too loud. BTW- That was on my 11 inch iPad Thankfully it did not repeat itself in that listening session. I want into Roon and in the same playlist I switched from the same two songs and no loud screech.
Perfected

PSX_20221019_182342.jpg

PSX_20221019_182359.jpg

PSX_20221019_182418.jpg
Will you share how you made it or is it available for sale?

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #597 of 1,199
Will you share how you made it or is it available for sale?

So is the case available somewhere for sale or is it DIY solution?

I contacted the Taobao leather shop which I got my GO Blu case awhile back and got them interested in making a case for GO Bar as well.

https://m.tb.cn/h.UVlTwAH

Obviously you will need to able to order stuff from Taobao in order to buy from them.

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #598 of 1,199
As this dongle gets hot during use, is it wise to put a cover on it ? Won’t it impact the lifespan of this product ?

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #599 of 1,199
As this dongle gets hot during use, is it wise to put a cover on it ? Won’t it impact the lifespan of this product ?
Most electronic components are rated for much higher temperature than what the GO Bar can generate.

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #600 of 1,199
Most electronic components are rated for much higher temperature than what the GO Bar can generate.
Always good to get opinion from expert
Thanks for letting us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back