iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Oct 10, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #571 of 1,199
I used to use the Micro BL and I found both Xbass and 3D or Xspace as it's now called were quite organic in their application and I loved the sound. For portability, I bought the iFi Go Bar and the Hip Dac 2. I find the Hip Dac Xbass highly colorizes the sound and is unusable. Not crazy about Xspace either but I've been using Roon with its Parametric EQ which works incredibly well with my iPad and I figured out how to make a preset for the iPhone for the Utopia and LCD5,

The Go Bar just about powers the LCD5 as loud as I might listen but I could see others finding it lacking. Especially when I use IEM Match to get the proper "attenuation" with the 4.4 balanced input, The Utopia is great with the Go Bar. As far as "ASP" not sure what you mean- not in the current instructions but they are very basic as is the Go Bar.
There is a multifunction button for filters Xbass and Xspace.

All in all, it has terrific sound with EQ but not sure why my Xbass and Xspace don't do a thing. That's what I was trying to find out here. Should I exchange this unit- Is it possible a chip can be defective in a partial way like this? Does not compute?!

Oct 10, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #572 of 1,199
All in all, it has terrific sound with EQ but not sure why my Xbass and Xspace don't do a thing. That's what I was trying to find out here. Should I exchange this unit- Is it possible a chip can be defective in a partial way like this? Does not compute?
Maybe try to downgrade firmware to 1.70 and check if that makes a difference?

Mine makes tiny popping noises when I cycle through the settings.

Oct 11, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #573 of 1,199
I saw a couple of folks that had both the Gryphon and the Go Bar; now that people have had a chance to try both, how do they compare? I know they're targeted a bit differently, but I was curious if the Gryphon is heads and shoulders above the Go Bar or if the Go Bar holds its own pretty well. Or, does the Go Bar excel with certain types of music or headphones compared to the Gryphon?

Oct 11, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #574 of 1,199
Maybe try to downgrade firmware to 1.70 and check if that makes a difference?

Mine makes tiny popping noises when I cycle through the settings.‘Anyone know if the is a sound quality difference if I don,t use the IE Match with a balanced cable. Does it effect the balanced functionality? I can’t drive my LCD-5 balanced input with IE match. I can’t hear a difference in quality from casual listening and would turn it off if I need the volume but I guess It must make some difference.
Anyone know if I turn off IE Match with a balance 4.4 cable If it negates the balanced mode? There is a significant drop in volume if I switch to “ 4.4 IE Match“ which is great with IEMs but not great with full sized over ear headphones.

As far as my x bass/space quandary I was thinking of switching from 2.2a to 2.2 since I don.t use the GTO filter. I just keep it on bit perfect. I hate to go a full version down to 1.7. Here”s another oddity: When I use the IE Match for balanced 4.4 vs 3.5 or of, I get a significant drop in volume like I may want for IEMs but not good when I have the over ear cans connected.

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #575 of 1,199
Xbass & Xspace don't work?
When you turn on XBass and XSpace do the lights show up on the device?
Anyone know if I turn off IE Match with a balance 4.4 cable If it negates the balanced mode? There is a significant drop in volume if I switch to “ 4.4 IE Match“ which is great with IEMs but not great with full sized over ear headphones.

As far as my x bass/space quandary I was thinking of switching from 2.2a to 2.2 since I don.t use the GTO filter. I just keep it on bit perfect. I hate to go a full version down to 1.7. Here”s another oddity: When I use the IE Match for balanced 4.4 vs 3.5 or of, I get a significant drop in volume like I may want for IEMs but not good when I have the over ear cans connected.
What is your set-up? Also, please can you clarify your question. I'm not quite following what you are asking about negates the balanced mode.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 14, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #576 of 1,199
1-Yes- the lights do go on. I have listened with various headphones as well both 3.5 and balanced 4.4. Unless it is so subtle my ears can’t hear the difference at all. My Ifi Micro Black Label and Hip Dac 2 have strong Xbass..The Hip Dac 2 is so strong it ccolors the sound imho and I keep it off. The Micro BL has organic tuning to me. Sounds like it bumps up the Bass at 100hz about 3dB. Like an EQ adding a bass shelf.

Zero with the Go bar. But as I’ve said most iFI use the Burr Brown chipset so this is a different beast..

2-As far as the IE match, when I use a 4.4 balanced cable using IE match lowers the volume significantly. Not using IEMs though. Using over ear Focal Utopia..
Should I use IE match with balanced over ear headphones or jus for IEMS?

Thanks

Oct 14, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #577 of 1,199
When you turn on XBass and XSpace do the lights show up on the device?

What is your set-up? Also, please can you clarify your question. I'm not quite following what you are asking about negates the balanced mode.
Hello all! I thought I'd give a quick introduction. I'm Rowan and I work for iFi audio. I will be around and assisting our official account as my role here on Head-fi.org. Please feel free to tag me in a post if you ever need anything. Thanks :)
Hi Rowan, so glad I can reach a human. I bought a Go Bar and it had been opened I suppose as there were no cables. I bought dac cables on Amazon but they drain my iPad and my iPhone doesn’t work. Where can I buy the original cables lightning to USB-C and USB-C to USB-C. The links I have found on the Ifi USA page lead me to a USB-A female to USB-C OTG cable..
I opened the box and now I can‘t exchange it.
plese advise

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #578 of 1,199
Got my Gold Bar yesterday! Seems to work OK on my Mac with the Tidal app, with the Green MQA LED lighting up. However, using my M1 iPad Pro or iPhone 13 Pro Max and the ifi-supplied cables (USB-C for iPad, Lightning for iPhone… I’ve tried others, too), I get the pink MQA light and some glitchiness - dropouts during playback usually after starting a Master/MQA song and around ~0:07 to 0:12 seconds in. I get the same results on v2.20 and 2.2a firmware. I even get occasional horrible blasting static noise when switching tracks, however that is more difficult to reproduce. All iOS devices are at latest sw version, Tidal is updated and devices have a fresh reboot.

Again, this dropout/glitch happens in the Tidal app on MQA songs w the pink MQA LED lit. Any advice or other’s experiencing this?

Oct 15, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #579 of 1,199
See next

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #581 of 1,199
I am waiting for my Gold Gobar from Listen up. I hope there is no issue with this new batch. Every place I tried was sold out. Then someone recommended Listenup.
The manager at Listenup said they said they just received 10 new stock. My regular Go Bar sounds terrific with Tidal. Little nervous now.

Oct 15, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #582 of 1,199
Oct 15, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #583 of 1,199
On all my devices the MQA indicator turns Magenta on my regular Go Bar since I updated it to v. 2.21. I occasionally hear pops when I am in bit-perfect mode. When I use Roon the software informs me of the Hz signal it is passing through and it moves to 88/96 on Tidal masters. I do get occasional pops but nothing deal-breaking. When I change the filters to minimum phase I seem to get the smoothest sound with no pops at all. The cable connection has to be tight- I don't know if you have a case on the iPad.

The SQ is excellent for a dongle or any small DAC.

As far as all your issues, I will let you know when I get my Gold from Listenup on Tuesday evening if I have issues. The device is totally digital which is why I am concerned about this latest "batch" of 10 as I have not read about this issue you are having and have searched. I have very similar equipment to what you are using and the sound from a regular Go Bar even with 3rd party cables as I said has no problems and sounds excellent for what it is and more.

Oct 15, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #584 of 1,199
got gold bar today. Using JVC FDX01 with it and it pairs well with it.
Qobuz with GTO filter and some Xbass. Luckily the Xbass doesn't color sound as much as HIP DAC. It's tastefully done here.

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #585 of 1,199
Congrats- I've said it before- the Hip Dac colors bass. I get nothing from the regular Go Bar Zero sound change on Xbass. I am awaiting a new Gold Go Bar and wondering- it seems like none were available for a month and now they popped up. Do you mind if I ask where you purchased the Gold Go Bar and how it is handling MQA? Any pops or distortion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back