If you've tried both, which is more comfortable, the T1 or the HD800?
Sep 10, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #16 of 28
I found the HD800 to be much more comfortable than the T1.  For starters, I find the larger ear pads and lesser clamping force of the HD800 to be more comfortable.  But my biggest problem with the T1 was, like Asr mentioned, the pressure point from the headband.  I could wear the T1 comfortably for about an hour and a half or so, and then the pressure from the headband on the crown of my head would start to get annoying.  After more time, it would become somewhat painful.

Although I slightly preferred the sonics of the T1 to the HD800, I ended up sticking with the HD800 largely based on their ability to provide me with a much more comfortable listening experience.

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:
I found the HD800 to be much more comfortable than the T1.  For starters, I find the larger ear pads and lesser clamping force of the HD800 to be more comfortable.  But my biggest problem with the T1 was, like Asr mentioned, the pressure point from the headband.  I could wear the T1 comfortably for about an hour and a half or so, and then the pressure from the headband on the crown of my head would start to get annoying.  After more time, it would become somewhat painful.

^ ditto...

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #18 of 28
One thing that Sennheiser always does right in designing the headband for their higher models is how they put a groove in the middle of the headband padding so that it relieves the pressure on the crown of the head.  This is really important with people with more ovalish/non-flat top such as myself.  But for some reason, this always seems to sneak by designers over at Denon/Beyerdynamic/Ultrasone (possibly due to it being less aesthetically pleasing?).  By far the worst culprit of this is of course the K701, and the designers over there even indirectly admitted to their dumb middle bump design, by quietly switching out the 7 bumps with 8.  The other way to alleviate pressure on the crown is to arc the headband more and distributing the weight more evenly, but this will unfortunately result in more clamping pressure... Then there is also Audio Technica's wing support approach which I feel is the most ideal as far as headband comfort goes, but they also have their problems with clamping/tightness (typically, too little) so I feel that Senn's approach to the headband is the best, even if they may look a bit weird. 

I do wish that HD800 have slightly more padding in their pads, but that's about my only gripe with them comfort wise.

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
One thing that Sennheiser always does right in designing the headband for their higher models is how they put a groove in the middle of the headband padding so that it relieves the pressure on the crown of the head.  This is really important with people with more ovalish/non-flat top such as myself.  But for some reason, this always seems to sneak by designers over at Denon/Beyerdynamic/Ultrasone (possibly due to it being less aesthetically pleasing?).  By far the worst culprit of this is of course the K701, and the designers over there even indirectly admitted to their dumb middle bump design, by quietly switching out the 7 bumps with 8.  

I had a pair of K701's and hated them.   'Head in a vise'.   My D5000's are so much more comforatable. 

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #23 of 28
If the OP meant the DT880 and T1, I liked the DT880 better. I owned one for a few years and it was immensely comfortable. The T1 is heavier and I really liked the velour on the DT880.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #25 of 28

Quote:
Weight without cable:
T1 is 350g
880 is 290g

T1 has heavier cable.

Same thought ... the cable of the T1 is much heavier and so the whole headphone feels heavier on my head if I don't support the cable ....

I have no problems to wear the T1 for hours ... but the HD800 feels a tad more comfortable. But the difference is not essential imho.

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #26 of 28

Quote:

x2. If you have a small-ish noggin and a ^ on the top of your head, then most of the T1s weight will rest on that spot, possibly causing severe comfort issues. It was a deal breaker for me. The HD800 has a small gap in the middle of the headband padding, and its design seems to distribute weight and pressure more evenly.

Also, the cable of the T1 is much heavier and constantly reminds you of its presence, while the HD800 cable is lighter and more flexible - it is easier to actually forget it's there.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #27 of 28
I´ll second Erik´s opinion. The HD 800 is the most comfortable headphone I´ve ever tried. The T1 is comfortable, but it isn´t in the same league at all especially if you´re head isn´t big. I could easily use the T1 for hours, but it doesn´t distribute the weight all over my head like the HD 800 does. The Sennheiser feels more like wearing a quality hat than a headphone :) I wouldn´t call the T1´s design a minus though, but it isn´t a plus either.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #28 of 28
HD800, there's no contest. The T1 actually gives me pain in the inner part of my ears due to the clamping on the same spot, i can't stand it after 2-3 hrs of wearing for a week or so. Only the denons (i used to have D7000) can come close to the comfort you get with HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back