If you think some headphones have recessed mids...
Aug 12, 2009 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

runswithaliens

100+ Head-Fier
Try turning down the volume! Simple as that really - use the volume knob to equalize them, not your Equalizer.

(edit: I guess I should explain, in case it isn't common knowledge, that perceived loudness levels of various frequencies differs with volume level. This is why stereo amps often used to come with a "Loudness" button or knob. See the detailed explanation and graphs of the "Fletcher-Munson equal loudness curve" here: Fletcher Munson Theory. - lowering the volume decreases the perceived level of both the highs and lows in comparison to the mids.)

The sound quality out of the Denon ah-d5000s is, I don't know, so effortless maybe, that it tricked me initially into turning the volume up much louder than I normally listen at. After the first long session of this I took them off and realized my ears were ringing a bit.

The bass when loud was also an over-bearing mess - filling the headphones with a not-pleasant resonance at some upper-bass frequency. However as I adjusted the volume down to an ear-friendly volume, suddenly the bass parts of the music became much better balanced and at this reduced volume, the bass generally feels to me like deep bass should. Not only that but also I have noticed a rare thing in that the bass part in some tunes; rather than being a non-distinct bass smear underneath the rest of the music, has at times been located at a distinct place in the sound stage; regaining its place as a distinct voice amongst the other parts. Something I don't recall having ever really heard with speaker setups, possibly due to the length of bass frequency waves out in the open...

So I heartily recommend giving a try to reducing the volume. Give it some time for your ears to adjust. It may take some renewed concentration to re-engage with the music. I find that if I have to strain at all to hear parts in the music, or that it sounds lifeless, then I need to adjust the volume back up a smidgen. But once adjusted I find it is great for shutting my eyes and disappearing into the music - enhanced by the wonderful musical timbres these headphones can convey.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 40
Turning down the volume is always a smart choice. Even then, I didn't find Denons to be that balanced - I prefer more neutral headphones at lower volumes. I know that's personal preference.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 40
Denons (d2k,d5k) were one of the biggest disappointments Ive had in this hobby, terribly expensive for something you have to use lots of voodoo to sound decent. I see them as popular headphones for the unexperienced listener or the basshead (boomhead) since their sound is like an action hollywood movie, lots of bells and whistles that make up for everything else thats lacking.....

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also try listening to different music.

Touche. Also, thanks for your original post. It taught me something.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 40
I have noticed that I tend to naturally listen to my D2000 at a lower level than my HD600. It is as if subconsciously the D2000 wants me to listen at a lower volume while the HD600 keeps wanting me to turn it up. Maybe it's related to the Fletcher Munson Theory you mentioned resulting in the D2000 being more balanced at lower listening levels while the HD600 is more balanced at higher listening levels. Part of it is also likely due to how the HD600 can get loud without being harsh. But if getting louder also makes the HD600 seem to have more highs then that could be working towards that end also.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 40
I know that the GS1000 sound bright and bassy when played loud, but with low volumes the treble is smooth and bass is not boomy, plus mids sound better.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed that I tend to naturally listen to my D2000 at a lower level than my HD600. It is as if subconsciously the D2000 wants me to listen at a lower volume while the HD600 keeps wanting me to turn it up. Maybe it's related to the Fletcher Munson Theory you mentioned resulting in the D2000 being more balanced at lower listening levels while the HD600 is more balanced at higher listening levels. Part of it is also likely due to how the HD600 can get loud without being harsh. But if getting louder also makes the HD600 seem to have more highs then that could be working towards that end also.

I agree. With my 650s I need to turn up the volume a bit for them to shine. I think the volume increase helps overcome the dark FR.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 40
I always thought that in order to get headphones to sound balanced that you needed to turn the volume up but that it'll be bordering on the threshold of pain. Aren't humans more perceptible to lower and higher frequencies at lower volumes and is the reason why headphones with boosted treble and bass sounds better at lower volumes than those with a prominent midrange. Perhaps this is why I had to turn the volume all the way up to get my Shures to sound good. Anymore enlightenment on this subject will be very welcomed, thanks!

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try turning down the volume! Simple as that really - use the volume knob to equalize them, not your Equalizer.

(edit: I guess I should explain, in case it isn't common knowledge, that perceived loudness levels of various frequencies differs with volume level. This is why stereo amps often used to come with a "Loudness" button or knob. See the detailed explanation and graphs of the "Fletcher-Munson equal loudness curve" here: Fletcher Munson Theory. - lowering the volume decreases the perceived level of both the highs and lows in comparison to the mids.)

Hah, I've thought that for a long time, I'm not surprised. Hence why my DT770s sound best at lower levels and HD650s sound good turned up.

It would also explain why different people love/hate different headphones.

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denons (d2k,d5k) were one of the biggest disappointments Ive had in this hobby, terribly expensive for something you have to use lots of voodoo to sound decent. I see them as popular headphones for the unexperienced listener or the basshead (boomhead) since their sound is like an action hollywood movie, lots of bells and whistles that make up for everything else thats lacking.....

Does he ever shut up about Denon's? Every chance you have you come to troll on them, it's obnoxious. Still, i'm sure you have nothing better to do in life.

Anyway I'd love to turn it down, but unfortunately I originally turned to headphones to solve volumes issues (can't blast my stereo anymore very much). I like pushing the headphones a bit.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does he ever shut up about Denon's? Every chance you have you come to troll on them, it's obnoxious. Still, i'm sure you have nothing better to do in life.

Anyway I'd love to turn it down, but unfortunately I originally turned to headphones to solve volumes issues (can't blast my stereo anymore very much). I like pushing the headphones a bit.

Lol fanboys always bite!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #14 of 40
I do believe that closed back headphones (like Denons) are designed to be played at lower volume, since it provides a passive isolation so you don't have to crank up the volume to reveal the details that would otherwise disappear in open backed headphones (like Grados and Sennheisers).

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif

amen to that my friend, it seems that denon users , use them because of the name, first of all denon is not exactly known for accurate sound, top of the pile for consumer products, but thats where it ends, once you enter the audiophile range denon is not an option, same goes for their cans, very very balanced unless you use eq, and other fixes to make then sound like a good set of grados sound out of the box 1000 for a pair of cans that you have to tweek the source or other aspects to sound " natural" hahahahahahah so many here are name based, not sound based, very little goes into thought when making some purchases except brand name. and denon is not at the top of that brand name, for higher end audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back