If you think some headphones have recessed mids...
Aug 13, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does he ever shut up about Denon's? Every chance you have you come to troll on them, it's obnoxious. Still, i'm sure you have nothing better to do in life.

You have to be more open minded, we all know this is your first pair of headphones and understand that you always get more attached to the one that takes away your virginity, just relax and accept that denons are not worth their asking price...
btw, if you want to know what better things I do in life, just google me and we can discuss further about it if you still think my only task is to trash denons,

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, if you want to know what better things I do in life, just google me and we can discuss further about it if you still think my only task is to trash denons

...you died in 1994
eek.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Volume isn't solely contributed to hearing loss, it's also sound pressure where the speaker is shooting the sound waves directly down your ear canal that causes problems. I use Ultrasones and according to there safer hearing page they reduce sound pressure levels at the eardrum by up to 40% (3 - 4 dB) ~ so technically speaking if you're at all bothered about hearing loss you should stay away from the traditional ear speakers.

My two biggest reasons for wanting to try Ultrasones are the one above, and the S-logic listening experience. I'm just having a hard time determining where to dip my feet first.

I generally find that I don't like to listen to any headphones all that loud. Same with my cell phone. I think I have my earpiece volume at 20%. Any time a borrow a cell phone it always sounds WAAAY too loud.

Actually all this talk of equal loudness contours reminds me of Audyssey Dynamic EQ. It's supposed to seamlessly boost frequencies that get lost at low volumes, to create the perception of even response.

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes Honeyboy, If you enjoy listening to music I hope you will consider how dangerous it is to the future of your hearing to listen to such loud music. You mention "the threshold of pain", which is listed on one webpage I found (LOUD MUSIC AND
HEARING DAMAGE
) as being at 140dB! It only takes a short amount of time for sounds that loud to permanently damage your hearing.

Here is a link to a website explaining hearing damage that you might want to check out: Noise-Induced Hearing Loss Its a short read that quickly drives home the fact that permanent hearing damage occurs well below the threshold of pain.

Yes, the volume level affects the EQ, but taking it to that extreme isn't the way to go!

runswithaliens haha I wasn't saying that I listened that loud it's just that I was a bit confused. My previous understanding of the Fletcher Munson Curves was that they indicated that in order to achieve a flat frequency response from headphones, you needed to turn the volume up to the thresh hold of pain which isn't quite practical. So because of this, Diffused Field Equalization is implemented to somewhat make an impression that the headphones are balanced. Am quite new to this stuff so am just looking for some clarification.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
runswithaliens haha I wasn't saying that I listened that loud it's just that I was a bit confused. My previous understanding of the Fletcher Munson Curves was that they indicated that in order to achieve a flat frequency response from headphones, you needed to turn the volume up to the thresh hold of pain which isn't quite practical. So because of this, Diffused Field Equalization is implemented to somewhat make an impression that the headphones are balanced. Am quite new to this stuff so am just looking for some clarification.

ah, well thank goodness you aren't listening that loud. About the Fletcher Munson Curves: what I was saying is that if your headphones seem to have recessed mids, you can use the properties of sound as shown by those curves to help tone down the lows and highs in relation to the mids by lowering your volume. Others in this thread have pointed out that of course the opposite is true too: if your headphones are lacking in the higher and lower frequencies, then increasing the volume lessens that imbalance as well by increasing the perceived volume of the lows and highs in relation to the mids. Just be careful not to take it to the point of damaging your hearing if going this route eh.

You mentioned Diffuse Field Equalization, but that is a whole other subject which I don't have any experience with.

Side note: There seem to be a few persons who have posted in this thread that carry on about their dislike of Denon headphones but it has nothing to do with what brand you like or dislike. The Fletcher Munson loudness curves are true for any brand or type of headphone or speaker or sound no matter the source. Its all about how the human ears perceive different frequencies of sound. It seems to me that knowledge of it can only help when trying to get the most out of your listening experience - whether you decide to compensate for it by adjusting your volume or equalizer, or not.

Even a set of headphones that have a perfectly flat frequency response will not sound perfectly flat to human ears at different volumes. As you lower the volume the amount of bass and highs that you hear will start to drop off faster than the mids. Knowing this, you can live with it, or you can adjust these hypothetical perfectly flat headphones back to flat sounding with an equalizer.

Some manufactures may very well design their headphones to sound flatter at lower volumes by increasing the bass and treble - which certainly wouldn't surprise me based on the amount of news lately about the danger of hearing loss from exposure to overly loud music with headphones. My experience with my newest headphones certainly supports this idea. Which brings me full circle to say that if your headphones sound like they have recessed mids, then you might try bringing them to a more neutral sound (to your ears) by lowering the volume.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #39 of 40
What a sad commentary on my part. My ADD kicked in somewhere in the middle of this thread, and by the end of page three I realized the phones I'm listening to at the moment (HD555 defoamed & degrilled) must have recessed mids so I yanked out a software EQ I had buried in an obscure folder and jacked up the mids. Then to do everything wrong, I decided to plug them directly into the dac for extra volume. And I liked it. I still don't remember what Denons have to do with the Fletcher Munson loudness curve, but I'm laughing hysterically at Krow's avatar (or is it dyslexic work?) as my music player randomly shuffled from Lola to gimme shelter. Sorry for having nothing of value to contribute to the topic.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a sad commentary on my part. My ADD kicked in somewhere in the middle of this thread, and by the end of page three I realized the phones I'm listening to at the moment (HD555 defoamed & degrilled) must have recessed mids so I yanked out a software EQ I had buried in an obscure folder and jacked up the mids. Then to do everything wrong, I decided to plug them directly into the dac for extra volume. And I liked it. I still don't remember what Denons have to do with the Fletcher Munson loudness curve, but I'm laughing hysterically at Krow's avatar (or is it dyslexic work?) as my music player randomly shuffled from Lola to gimme shelter. Sorry for having nothing of value to contribute to the topic.

Lol, I wouldn't worry about it, your post is about as helpful as all the arguing about Denon headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back