If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #2,341 of 19,254
Quote:

Oh no.  I was referring to the high gain amp mode not the bass boost.  The differences I hear are subtle but good.  The bass boost is enormous!  :p  It's like 6-8db so you can't miss it. haha

Haha,

I didn't think so, but i've done that before. Plugged in some IEMs after loaning my amp to my brother and noticing more bass than normal, only to realize he left the switch on.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #2,342 of 19,254
Quote:

I just ran a blind a/b tester on my mac with a 256aac and lossless file of one song ('ll be doing more later) and I got 50% consistently.  So it seems I can't really tell the difference with my er4s/c5 combo.  I know I've been able to tell in the past with a double blind test, but I can never pinpoint "how" I can tell, I just know that one sounds better.  Anyhow, therefore I don't think the lossless is the reason.  I'm guessing it's the amp somehow.  But that was one song testing multiple times with multiple passes.  Perhaps a more "high fi" song would be different.  Either way, I think it is more the amp or source or something technical in the hardware...

Yeah it definitely shouldn't be the lossless files. One explanation is that it's more likely for you to listen slightly louder on the amp versus the Fuze. Even a very small difference in loudness would affect perceived bass levels, especially at the level you're describing. 

And actually I just read that the output impedance of the C421 is 10.5 ohms. This was stated by JDS labs here. This could slightly affect the sound of the ER4S, but by raising the treble a very slight amount, just like how adding impedance to the ER4P adds treble to make it an ER4S. 

So I'm thinking it's the first scenario, but there could be more going on with the amp that's beyond my knowledge.

Edit: Unless you have a C421 from ~Oct. 2012 or later when it seems they reduced the OI to ~2ohms. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #2,343 of 19,254
Quote:

Yeah it definitely shouldn't be the lossless files. One explanation is that it's more likely for you to listen slightly louder on the amp versus the Fuze. Even a very small difference in loudness would affect perceived bass levels, especially at the level you're describing. 

And actually I just read that the output impedance of the C421 is 10.5 ohms. This was stated by JDS labs here. This could slightly affect the sound of the ER4S, but by raising the treble a very slight amount, just like how adding impedance to the ER4P adds treble to make it an ER4S. 

So I'm thinking it's the first scenario, but there could be more going on with the amp that's beyond my knowledge.

Edit: Unless you have a C421 from ~Oct. 2012 or later when it seems they reduced the OI to ~2ohms. 

I have the c5, which is 2ohms or less.  I've tried very hard to volume match, but I don't think it's that, because it's consistently every time I'm on the c5 and not even thinking about it I realize sooner or later "hey wait, i'm not using eq"  or "hey wait why does this sound better". Just in general during a listening session...  odd.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #2,344 of 19,254
I have the c5, which is 2ohms or less.  I've tried very hard to volume match, but I don't think it's that, because it's consistently every time I'm on the c5 and not even thinking about it I realize sooner or later "hey wait, i'm not using eq"  or "hey wait why does this sound better". Just in general during a listening session...  odd.

It could very well be volume difference. Failure to volume match has probably cost countless audiophiles to spend thousands of dollars on gear that doesnt sound any different than what they already have...lol

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #2,345 of 19,254
It could very well be volume difference. Failure to volume match has probably cost countless audiophiles to spend thousands of dollars on gear that doesnt sound any different than what they already have...lol

I could see that :). But this is when i'm not comparing. It doesn't really make sense to me that every time i listen to the c5 i just happen to have it at a slight louder volume. In fact, i listen soft sometimes and loud sometimes with both. But with the c5 i just don't ever think about the sound as "lacking" much no matter what the situation. That's all.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #2,347 of 19,254
I could see that :). But this is when i'm not comparing. It doesn't really make sense to me that every time i listen to the c5 i just happen to have it at a slight louder volume. In fact, i listen soft sometimes and loud sometimes with both. But with the c5 i just don't ever think about the sound as "lacking" much no matter what the situation. That's all.
These are really hard sometimes to get that PERFECT seal. Sometimes they aren't seated rite. Sometimes I will moisten them a little too much and they will slip out of that perfect seal ya know. Maybe that day you had the perfect storm. Lol. Where they were seated just in the rite spot and you had the PERFECT seal. ??? Maybe?? Lol just suggestions. Lol cause I know if they aren't sealed perfectly there is less bass them with that PERFECT seal. Just a thought

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #2,349 of 19,254
Nice pics. I'd like to chime in here too and share my love for er4p/s. The p is a brilliant sounding iem but the s adapter turns them into imo the best sound I've ever heard in a phone be it cans or iem's! Just pure audio bliss.
I love mine to bits.
Also I find that using the future sonic ear fills it gives the sound a real meaty boost in the bass while not sacrificing the mids and treble. Either way I love them

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #2,350 of 19,254
Ok, so I'm starting to become an etymotic fan. I've never tried the er-4p but I recently bought its little brother, the ek5. This thing is incredible for the price! The sound is *slightly* on the thin side and the bass is very modest but always present. These things are midcentric beasts, and are actually kinda reminiscent of the MUCH more expensive hd650. The detail is sweet, and it effortlessly produces hidden things like they're a main part of the track. It's funny because noises I usually heard in a song being prevalent became the background and tiny little whispers I had trouble hearing are now shining through. It's an...interesting change. 

I don't want to go on a hype train or anything but these measure very well, and this particular reviewer gave them a favorable score to the re400 overall. These are 20$ right now, regardless of how well they perform compared to these giants these are a huge value imo.
http://en.goldenears.net/11246

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #2,351 of 19,254
Quote:
Ok, so I'm starting to become an etymotic fan. I've never tried the er-4p but I recently bought its little brother, the ek5. This thing is incredible for the price! The sound is *slightly* on the thin side and the bass is very modest but always present. These things are midcentric beasts, and are actually kinda reminiscent of the MUCH more expensive hd650. The detail is sweet, and it effortlessly produces hidden things like they're a main part of the track. It's funny because noises I usually heard in a song being prevalent became the background and tiny little whispers I had trouble hearing are now shining through. It's an...interesting change. 

I don't want to go on a hype train or anything but these measure very well, and this particular reviewer gave them a favorable score to the re400 overall. These are 20$ right now, regardless of how well they perform compared to these giants these are a huge value imo.
http://en.goldenears.net/11246

Are you kidding me?  Those are like TWICE the quality of most earphones.  I don't care what the price is.  :)  The er4p smooths out the mid/treble peaks a bit, and the er4s takes that and extends the treble further and flatter.  But compared to most earphones out there the kids version is excellent quality.  The only downfall is the impedance changing characteristic. I don't know how often you might run into volume problems...  But that's probably good for most people anyway to have a safe volume :wink: :wink:

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #2,354 of 19,254
Quote:
The great thing is their phase and impedance is perfectly flat so it won't really change their sound signature no matter what output their is.

Impressively flat impedance.  Also, the sub bass is better than the er4s, but the treble is worse.  I wonder if you could put a red or orange filter in the ety kids?  Do they accept the knowles filters?  That might help the treble, I'd have to check the frequency areas they affect again.  But that would be funny if it neutralized the treble more while preserving the better sub bass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back