If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #2,371 of 19,272
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This will be fun! But it's a shame I could have saved you 200€ by writing your review for you. "The ER4S is lacking any semblance of bass. The soundstage is claustrophobically small. And as for the fit, I might as well be jamming pencils in my ears; they might even sound nicer."

How's that? 
tongue.gif

And the red filters are recommended. There is plenty of info here, including where to buy them and graphs from Rin. The effect is rather minimal, but the reds bring down the mids and some upper treble about 2dB. This sounds more accurate to me and lusident. 

And don't forget the horrible cable noise every time you move!  :wink: haha

The red's are subtle but after listening to them a while they really make things a little bit more easy to listen to in the sense that they take down the one or two trouble areas of the treble.  By trouble areas I just mean they improve what isn't as perfect.  Related to other earphones the stock filters sound amazing. :wink:  

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #2,372 of 19,272
I wonder why etymotic decided to go with the green filters as stock rather than red?-They must have decided at some point for a reason?
I haven't heard the reds yet,but it sounds like they are a better match,from how they are described. (Not that I have any complaints with the greens of course!) .

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #2,373 of 19,272
None of the provided stock tips sound as good as the custom tips, as the bores are too small. Even with custom tips, there are differences. I have two pairs, one with longer bores, one with shorter bores. The one with shorter bores sound better, as it allows a deeper insertion and as a result, has a more spherical soundstage.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #2,375 of 19,272
  None of the provided stock tips sound as good as the custom tips, as the bores are too small. Even with custom tips, there are differences. I have two pairs, one with longer bores, one with shorter bores. The one with shorter bores sound better, as it allows a deeper insertion and as a result, has a more spherical soundstage.

This isn't a problem with the stock tips if you cut the smallest flange off of the triple flange. 

As you can see the bore extends past the tip, taking the tips out of the equation. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2,378 of 19,272
By using the tips like that so you find that the filters get clogged up a lot easier ?? Like with ear wax. Seems like the filters would IMO ??
I don't really have any issues. If you buy the filters in bulk or with a group buy they're pretty cheap anyway...

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #2,379 of 19,272
By using the tips like that so you find that the filters get clogged up a lot easier ?? Like with ear wax. Seems like the filters would IMO ??

How does that change the sound?

No I keep my ears extremely clean. Haven't had to change filters once, and it's been at least a few months.

I'll try to do some comparisons to see how the sound changes, but this was mostly done for fit. This shape allows me to achieve optimal insertion depth without the last flange going too deep. It also allows the ER4S to go deep enough for the cable to go over the ear.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #2,380 of 19,272

This will be fun! But it's a shame I could have saved you 200€ by writing your review for you. "The ER4S is lacking any semblance of bass. The soundstage is claustrophobically small. And as for the fit, I might as well be jamming pencils in my ears; they might even sound nicer."

How's that? 
tongue.gif

I love spending and wasting money, but I don't like others doing the dirty work for me.

And the red filters are recommended. There is plenty of info here, including where to buy them and graphs from Rin. The effect is rather minimal, but the reds bring down the mids and some upper treble about 2dB. This sounds more accurate to me and lusident.

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #2,383 of 19,272

With saliva (after having had a curry or some nice spicy Mexican food)? Yuck! Or with some K-Y jelly? Yuck!! Or with some Oto-Ease (by Westone)?

As a general info post here. If you are of the school who moistens the tips (ie your ears are that clean their is no "natural lubricant") Wal Mart sells pure Aloe Vera, uncolored for about 5 bucks a bottle. About half a drop on a fingertip is enough to moisten both tips enough for insertion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back