If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #2,326 of 19,272
Quote:
Oh really. That's awesome thank you
smily_headphones1.gif
. Now that I've started using the etys I wish they still made the b's but this amp will make that possible Sweet!!!

Yeah it's a killer amp for the price too. I have one and thoroughly enjoy it. I can switch on the fly between P,S (with adapter), and B!

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,328 of 19,272
Quote:
Yes, it can be done! Purchase a C&C BH2 which has a P-to-B adapter inside it. This device was made for the Etymotic ER4.

That's cool.  Is the er4s to er4b adding even further resistance or something more complex?

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #2,329 of 19,272
Quote:
That's sweet. How much more clean does the b sound over the s?? I just got the s and I love it. I like the p though too.

It's a little brighter, but greater transparency i think.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #2,330 of 19,272
Quote:

That's cool.  Is the er4s to er4b adding even further resistance or something more complex?

I can't recall exactly, but there is a capacitor and something else that is part of the B adapter. There's a huge thread here on head-fi about this amazing amp. Most don't even know it was made for the ER4 because of translation.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2,331 of 19,272
Quote:
I can't recall exactly, but there is a capacitor and something else that is part of the B adapter. There's a huge thread here on head-fi about this amazing amp. Most don't even know it was made for the ER4 because of translation.

I'm curious how hard it would be to make an adapter alone?  Is it just a capacitor and resistor in series for each channel?

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #2,333 of 19,272
Quote:
This has probably been asked but has anyone tried the er4s with the star Westone tips ? Like the long red silicone ones ? I'm curious to what you think about the sound if anyone has?? Thanks:)

I'm 75% sure I tried those when I had the 4r and they worked o.k., but didn't sound as good as any of the ety tips...

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,334 of 19,272
I'm 75% sure I tried those when I had the 4r and they worked o.k., but didn't sound as good as any of the ety tips...
They don't sound as good ad the grey ety ones but they do sound ok. I get a good insulation with them and a lot of bottome end too. Whoever said these lack bass must not get a good seal cause I find these have incredible bass specially with the star tips. And with the grey ones as long as there is a good seal that is

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #2,335 of 19,272
I was telling gnarlsagan in a message the other day that I had my comply foam tips and er4s in my ears for a while listening to music, enjoying the heck out of it, and then realized I wasn't using any eq at all.  Could I have improved things with a touch of sub bass eq?  Sure, but I never noticed anything was missing.  I'm saying this for two reasons.

First, the er4s, while not perfectly flat in the sub bass, definitely doesn't lack any major amount of bass.  In fact, I'd say most speakers that people love for "bass" have less sub bass than the er4s.  Anyhow, the comply tips really help for me.  I can insert them the deepest while getting an excellent AND uber comfortable seal.  I mean comfortable.  So far, I'd say the er4s is as comfortable as anything else, but isolates better when I use these tips.

Second, I realized why the bass roll off didn't bother me that night listening with no EQ...  I was using lossless files and my JDS C5 amp instead of just my fuze.  I can't exactly say why, but I tried using no eq again tonight, only this time being aware of it.  I am listening right now and it sounds great.  Again, with the C5 sourced from my apogee duet computer interface using lossless files.  So, here's the thing.  I can't exactly tell how or why, but the bass just sounds better on the C5.  If I do a switch back and forth between fuze/C5 I have a very hard time telling any difference.  However, when I listen with the fuze using no eq I almost always feel the need to add my sub bass eq after 15 seconds into a song.  Not that it's "needed" but I much prefer it.  So I will have to compare the C5/lossless to the fuze side by side instead of just the fuze with and without the C5.

So apparently either the C5 is doing something on high gain that makes the bass sound better or it's the lossless files... or both.  It doesn't sound louder or boosted at all, but just better somehow.  And that further makes it seem less recessed.  I still prefer a tad eq no matter what to make it truly flat and wish they had that implemented in them by default.  However, this is a nice thing to know.  I might have to use lossless and/or the C5 with my fuze as well now. :p

The C5 is pretty much ruler flat frequency response as is the sansa line of players with these audio components (fuze/clip/zip).  So I'm not sure what it is.  Perhaps the extra power is just making a difference in driving them better?  Perhaps the lossless files?  Perhaps don wilson could chime in on wether the raw amp power would make a difference if the fuze drives them well to begin with?  I don't notice any other major differences so far,  but I'll start doing more serious comparisons.  Again, the difference is so small I have a hard time telling between the two comparing them.  But I know it's there, because more than once now I've found the sound to be different without even knowing why and then realizing it's the C5 on my computer vs. the fuze being different.  So there was no mental bias in the picture.

I'll post this and ask john seaber on the c5 thread as well.  He did mention the high gain sounding "different" but I'm not sure why... I think he said he did all the measurements on high gain, thus the frequency response should be ruler flat...  Interesting.  Go C5/ER4S/lossless combo!!!  Wow. That's all I can say.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #2,336 of 19,272
I'm using my ipod classic 7th gen. With lossless files mostly with a continetal v3. I never use an eq. And my amp pretty much has a low and high gain. And a volume I have it set on low gain and gotta tell ya the pairing of the er4s and this amp is nothing short of magical. They sound incredible with loads of bass. Not bass head levels mind you but really don't need any more. I'm going to try them on high gain later and see if it makes a difference.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #2,337 of 19,272
Quote:
I'm using my ipod classic 7th gen. With lossless files mostly with a continetal v3. I never use an eq. And my amp pretty much has a low and high gain. And a volume I have it set on low gain and gotta tell ya the pairing of the er4s and this amp is nothing short of magical. They sound incredible with loads of bass. Not bass head levels mind you but really don't need any more. I'm going to try them on high gain later and see if it makes a difference.

I just ran a blind a/b tester on my mac with a 256aac and lossless file of one song ('ll be doing more later) and I got 50% consistently.  So it seems I can't really tell the difference with my er4s/c5 combo.  I know I've been able to tell in the past with a double blind test, but I can never pinpoint "how" I can tell, I just know that one sounds better.  Anyhow, therefore I don't think the lossless is the reason.  I'm guessing it's the amp somehow.  But that was one song testing multiple times with multiple passes.  Perhaps a more "high fi" song would be different.  Either way, I think it is more the amp or source or something technical in the hardware...

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #2,339 of 19,272
Quote:
You don't have the bass boost switch turned on do you...?

sorry, i had to ask.

In any case, the bass switch on my C421 is one of the cleanest boosts i've heard.

Oh no.  I was referring to the high gain amp mode not the bass boost.  The differences I hear are subtle but good.  The bass boost is enormous!  :p  It's like 6-8db so you can't miss it. haha

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #2,340 of 19,272
I just ran a blind a/b tester on my mac with a 256aac and lossless file of one song ('ll be doing more later) and I got 50% consistently.  So it seems I can't really tell the difference with my er4s/c5 combo.  I know I've been able to tell in the past with a double blind test, but I can never pinpoint "how" I can tell, I just know that one sounds better.  Anyhow, therefore I don't think the lossless is the reason.  I'm guessing it's the amp somehow.  But that was one song testing multiple times with multiple passes.  Perhaps a more "high fi" song would be different.  Either way, I think it is more the amp or source or something technical in the hardware...
Your probably rite. I heard that your amp has great synergy with the er4s's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back