If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #2,131 of 19,246
Quote:

I wanted to add a couple of tips earlier.

The imbalance (at least for me) comes from pressure in the canal. I alleviate this 2 ways:

1) push it deeper in. I think there's a point where the inner seal is broken somewhat, which allows the mids and treble to come through without interference. I also insert with a twisting motion, so you essentially break the seal every time you move it in deeper.

2) I like the Atrio foams and the Shure Olives, since they don't require the vacuum to seal off the ear canal like the silicones do. However, I find them to be less comfy than the triple flanges, believe it or not. They fill up my ear canal more, creating pressure on the walls of my ears at the proper insertion depth.

Overall, push it in deeper, and twist while you do.

This advice is also applicable to one's love life.

A lot of aspects from the er4s can be compared to one's love life :wink:

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #2,132 of 19,246
Quote:
I love DIY gear, but I'm always too afraid to drop money into something I could easily screw up :wink:

There are people who build them - ever hear of MisterX on this forum?

Seriously, the Ety's are absolutely great with the Mini3 and I've tried them on every amp I have.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #2,133 of 19,246
Aug 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #2,134 of 19,246
Aug 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,136 of 19,246
In case anyone is interested, I currently use the ER-4P but equalized into the ER-4S on my PC. With a link I found on Rin Choi's blog by a poster named Carrot in the comments.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/08/p2b-adapter-for-etymotic-research-er-4p.html

If anyone is interested, that's the link. I still want the adapter though.

Sorry for the double post.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #2,137 of 19,246
Quote:
Grr, I signed up to ask about this. I need one of these adapters to turn my ER-4P into the ER-4S.

Guess I'll get one from ebay, anyone bought theirs from ebay for around the same price?

Yes, I bought one from ebay that claimed to be genuine Etymotic.  I have no reason to doubt that, but I only got it out of convenience.  Two 75 ohm resistors in the plug seems pretty easy to do - just have too many other projects going at the same time.

To tell the truth, there's either very little difference, IMHO, or I may even prefer the ER-4PT without it.  It certainly makes a difference on the volume control of your amp, but if you have the gain adjusted close to unity, the ER-4PT without the adapter will have no issues.

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #2,139 of 19,246
Quote:
11 years and still going strong. 

Mr audionewbi has turned 11 today?  Happy Birthday! I have to say, though, that at your age I didn't have access to such expensive gear. Today's children are sooo spoilt...

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #2,141 of 19,246
I used to have the problem with channel imbalancing.  Vocals would favor my right side.  I was going to return the ER-4s.  I switched the earphones and vocals would still favored the right side. I was a little worry about my hearing so  I thought about seeing an audiologist to check out my ears.  From an earlier posting, I finally manage to figure that it has everything to do with how you insert the earphones.  Now I love my ER-4s.  I am in for 3 pairs of the red filters.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #2,143 of 19,246
I'm in love with the HF5's treble. It's so close to perfect.

I think I've found the combo for my perfect phone:

Throw in the GR07's bass, ASG-2's mids, and the HF5's treble. Add in the 1Plus2's soundstage, the PF VIII's ambience, and the Flat-4's forward soundstage projection. And that would be it!

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #2,144 of 19,246
I'm in love with the HF5's treble. It's so close to perfect.

I think I've found the combo for my perfect phone:

Throw in the GR07's bass, ASG-2's mids, and the HF5's treble. Add in the 1Plus2's soundstage, the PF VIII's ambience, and the Flat-4's forward soundstage projection. And that would be it!

That's it? Dream a little, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back