If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2,101 of 19,253
Another thing to consider is that rockbox adds 6dB to the max volume. So I guess lowering the preamp by 6dB would allow you to use full volume without clipping? I just thought of this like 1 minute ago. 

Also I came up with an eq for 7.2k that works for me. It uses a similar concept that markanini used for his eq. The way I hear it, the dip is more gradual from ~4-7k, and rises more abruptly from 8-10k. So here it is:

That's funny.  I don't have the smooth curves you have, but our graphs look really freaking similar...  You might even be using more adjustment than I.  Not sure the db values, but they look close...

^ Guys, this is kind of inevitable when there's only like 2 dips in the frequency response. :p

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #2,102 of 19,253
Can someone with more in-depth knowledge comment about this? Otherwise I'm going to assume that the clip+ and the fuze can power the ER4S as stated here.

^ Guys, this is kind of inevitable when there's only like 2 dips in the frequency response. :p
I mean the exact amount and start point of each boost. That's all. :p. obviously they'll look similar though, yes :wink:

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #2,104 of 19,253
Quote:
Gnarl, you were right that any more 2-3db at 7.5k ends up being too excessive. I re-evaluated by listening to several harpsichord recordings and ended up with this:

Yeah, I actually lowered mine today.  Been listening all day and settled on 2db around 7.5khz.  Any more is too much for me.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #2,107 of 19,253
Quote:
Yes.  Woo hoo!  It is. I was about to set it up when I suddenly got a pair of f111 to test and now I have been doing nothing but listening to music :wink:

doh, right after i posted this i noticed them on the ety webpage and ordered 6.

am interested in how these compare to my Ety Hf3.  Will be using them with an ipod through a XM6 dac/amp.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #2,108 of 19,253
Quote:
doh, right after i posted this i noticed them on the ety webpage and ordered 6.

am interested in how these compare to my Ety Hf3.  Will be using them with an ipod through a XM6 dac/amp.

I don't see red filters on Ety's site.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #2,109 of 19,253
So far I've only had a few hours to listen, and I'm still adapting to the sound of the f111, however it is without a doubt one of the best IEMs I've ever heard.  In fact, I'm not sure if I prefer the er4s or the f111, but they are the top two in my book.

If I compare them with no EQ, the f111 wins in a lot of areas.  They have nearly perfect bass, better comfort and better soundstage.  They give possibly the best non-eq listening experience for an IEM.  However, they are not as even or extended as the er4s in the treble.  Don't get me wrong, the difference is small when you compare both of these to ANY other IEM I've heard.  However, the er4s is just treble master with red filters or green for that matter.  The er4s bass, even when at similar levels lacks something that the f111 has in the bass.  I'm not sure yet if it's the attack or texture or something, but I prefer the f111 bass.  However, the er4s has more airy openness up top.

The f111 still manages to pull out pretty much the same level of details, but just in a slightly warmer way and with a little less smoothness up top.  But again, this isn't a drastic difference really.  They both have an etymotic type sound to them.  The f11 just sounds more full and robust and bigger.  The er4s sound more open and analytical.  It's like your looking at an image and inspecting the details, where the f111 is a little more like the image is 3d or at least the image is more immersive.

The f111 winds hands down in comfort and typical user features.  The cable is excellent and feels great.  The tips are nice and don't require any ear bleeding at first.  However, the er4s still wins in isolation.  The f111 is very good, but the ety is just insane.  I have a loud a/c unit in my living room.  Loud.  The etymotic literally blocks it all.  I can't tell if it's on with the deep silicon fit I get.  The f111 blocks it so that all I hear is a very faint hum.  Enough to know it's on, but not interfere with the music really.  So I wouldn't avoid them if you want great isolation.  They are great.  But the etys are greater. haha.

I'll post more as I listen more.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #2,110 of 19,253
Yeah unless you're looking at the aucoustic earplug filters not the ER4 filters I don't think try have them on the website.

The filters are knowles parts available on Mouser. Mouser's flat minimum shipping is like $7, hence the group buy.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #2,111 of 19,253
So far I've only had a few hours to listen, and I'm still adapting to the sound of the f111, however it is without a doubt one of the best IEMs I've ever heard.  In fact, I'm not sure if I prefer the er4s or the f111, but they are the top two in my book.

If I compare them with no EQ, the f111 wins in a lot of areas.  They have nearly perfect bass, better comfort and better soundstage.  They give possibly the best non-eq listening experience for an IEM.  However, they are not as even or extended as the er4s in the treble.  Don't get me wrong, the difference is small when you compare both of these to ANY other IEM I've heard.  However, the er4s is just treble master with red filters or green for that matter.  The er4s bass, even when at similar levels lacks something that the f111 has in the bass.  I'm not sure yet if it's the attack or texture or something, but I prefer the f111 bass.  However, the er4s has more airy openness up top.

The f111 still manages to pull out pretty much the same level of details, but just in a slightly warmer way and with a little less smoothness up top.  But again, this isn't a drastic difference really.  They both have an etymotic type sound to them.  The f11 just sounds more full and robust and bigger.  The er4s sound more open and analytical.  It's like your looking at an image and inspecting the details, where the f111 is a little more like the image is 3d or at least the image is more immersive.

The f111 winds hands down in comfort and typical user features.  The cable is excellent and feels great.  The tips are nice and don't require any ear bleeding at first.  However, the er4s still wins in isolation.  The f111 is very good, but the ety is just insane.  I have a loud a/c unit in my living room.  Loud.  The etymotic literally blocks it all.  I can't tell if it's on with the deep silicon fit I get.  The f111 blocks it so that all I hear is a very faint hum.  Enough to know it's on, but not interfere with the music really.  So I wouldn't avoid them if you want great isolation.  They are great.  But the etys are greater. haha.

This is almost the same as my impression when I first heard the 111. Almost picked this over the 334 but feel the sound sig is a bit too close to my er4 which I m not looking to let go.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #2,113 of 19,253
Quote:

Nice impressions, thanks. Can you also compare the F111 to Phonak PFE, especially in the bass? I find PFE to have just about the right quantity and near perfect quality in the low end when amped well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back