If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,922 of 19,246
Ok guys,

Those eBay triple flange tips I posted about last page,

They actually tone down treble a touch compared to foam, they also take away some of the detail and tend to soften the presentation, don't think dull just a little softer, you lose that fabulous crispness and a touch of clarity in vocals. The stage did tend to gain some depth on the left and right channels, meaning how deep instruments sounded coming from left/right. Overall they aren't for me. I think it's because the Ety nozzle sits to deep in the tip (around the second flange). The fit however was great with high comfort levels but I'm all about the sound here and will continue to use foam until I find something else. Foam sounds the best to my ears, I will continue buying them to extract the most from my ER4S.

I mean.... you can give them a try and they sound nice (tips posted last page) though it's all a matter of what suits the individual. Still waiting on the other tips, lets hope they provide what I need.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,923 of 19,246
You want to avoid a too long bore length to avoid quarter-wave resonance resulting in peakiness and reduced bandwidth. I think the stock triflanges are designed to hit the sweet spot at 3mm, thats the same depth Don Dawson recomended I move the filters to improve responce of my molds.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #1,925 of 19,246
Hi!  I bought a pair of Etymotic ER-4S used from Amazon.  I am wondering if they are faked.  The imprinted number on the left (blue) earphone does not match the imprinted number on the right (red) earphone.  The materials on the earphones are also different.  One is smooth and one is grainy.  Is this normal?    They are also a lot harder to drive than my Klipsch S4.  They sound cold and boring compare to the Klipsch.  I am notice one very big signature of these headphones is that I can pinpoint the location the sounds.  I.E...I can tell that violin section is sitting on the left side and the trumpet players are the right side of the stage.  Are they authentic ER-4S.  Can you guys help me out!!!

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,928 of 19,246
Hi!  I bought a pair of Etymotic ER-4S used from Amazon.  I am wondering if they are faked.  The imprinted number on the left (blue) earphone does not match the imprinted number on the right (red) earphone.  The materials on the earphones are also different.  One is smooth and one is grainy.  Is this normal?    They are also a lot harder to drive than my Klipsch S4.  They sound cold and boring compare to the Klipsch.  I am notice one very big signature of these headphones is that I can pinpoint the location the sounds.  I.E...I can tell that violin section is sitting on the left side and the trumpet players are the right side of the stage.  Are they authentic ER-4S.  Can you guys help me out!!!

Sounds right. They should be harder to drive than the S4, and they'll sound much colder as well.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #1,930 of 19,246
Quote:
Thanks Gnarlsagan!  I think I will add these to my collection of headphones.

Give them some time.  Get used to them.  At a minimum I think you'll appreciate them, even if they aren't your sound signature.  At most you'll love them and have them for 20 years. :wink:

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,931 of 19,246
For the record, this is what your triple flanges look like after they've been through the laundry...

Perhaps I should call them the little fatty triples?

Thank goodness my er4s weren't in there.  Unfortunately, almost all of my tips were...

I luckily have a few foam tips left, although one is the small pair.  However, I put a new set of foam tips on and sealed them well and didn't realize the treble had softened on my 1+ month old used tips.  Listening to david gates with the red filters and new tips almost brings tears to my ears.  The treble on these is amazing.  I guess I'll have to swap my tips when I notice things getting a little soft.  Wow.  I'm in heaven right now.

Here's my old tips vs. new tips. :p

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #1,932 of 19,246
For the record, this is what your triple flanges look like after they've been through the laundry...

Perhaps I should call them the little fatty triples?

Thank goodness my er4s weren't in there.  Unfortunately, almost all of my tips were...

I luckily have a few foam tips left, although one is the small pair.  However, I put a new set of foam tips on and sealed them well and didn't realize the treble had softened on my 1+ month old used tips.  Listening to david gates with the red filters and new tips almost brings tears to my ears.  The treble on these is amazing.  I guess I'll have to swap my tips when I notice things getting a little soft.  Wow.  I'm in heaven right now.

Funny, you must remember to take them out before the wash and I must remember to put mine in the wash...:D

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #1,933 of 19,246
:p  I guess they're clean now. haha.

On another note.  Can we try to get a signup sheet of some sort going for a group filter buy?  I want more reds, and I wouldn't mind more greens and a few oranges either to test.  I wouldn't mind wasting a few to test if they were bought in bulk.  I'd probably want at least a few of each filters myself.  Anyone else?  Perhaps we can start a thread with a poll for how many of each filters to buy?  Perhaps we could do a tip bulk purchase if anyone is interest in that too?  Not sure if it saves anything though...

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #1,934 of 19,246
Quote:
:p  I guess they're clean now. haha.

On another note.  Can we try to get a signup sheet of some sort going for a group filter buy?  I want more reds, and I wouldn't mind more greens and a few oranges either to test.  I wouldn't mind wasting a few to test if they were bought in bulk.  I'd probably want at least a few of each filters myself.  Anyone else?  Perhaps we can start a thread with a poll for how many of each filters to buy?  Perhaps we could do a tip bulk purchase if anyone is interest in that too?  Not sure if it saves anything though...

I'm up for that.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,935 of 19,246
Sorry to bombard with posts, but I just found out something awesome.  I thought I'd try the medium pfe112 silicon tips on the er4s.  They aren't super tight on the nozzle, but they fit reasonably well.  However, when you put them in your ears they fit more like normal earphones..... Until you push harder.  They squished down into my eardrums and sealed perfectly.  I'll probably be careful pulling them out a few times to see how they grab, but otherwise, the sound is almost identical to the triple flange, they sit fairly deep and they are 10x more comfortable.

I think the main issue I have with all the stock tips is that they all leave the point of the nozzle or tip at a fairly small size which causes them to poke and be irritating.  I've been unusually sensitive tonight, hence trying the pfe tips.  If I hadn't pushed a little harder I wouldn't have know they could actually go in deeper.  They don't even require spinning or ANYTHING.  Just push them in until they stop and then push a little harder and they slide into the canal.  They're soft enough that it actually doesn't even feel like much is in your ear.  Check it out...

Pretty deep and sound perfect.  I'm amazed.  Soooo comfortable.  Wow, I wouldn't want someone to buy them and find they don't fit in their ears or they're loose or something, but I highly recommend trying them if you want the same sound AND comfort.  They have the bass quality of the triple flange super deep and the nice open treble.

I'll use them for a while and see if the frequency response seems any different, but right off the bat my impressions are excellent.

(for what it's worth, i may have posted in the past on using the pfe small tips, but they ultimately didn't work out.  I never thought of forcing the medium tips in.  These are medium tips.)

EDIT:  The bass is actually better with the pfe tips.  I almost feel like i don't need any eq.  They spectrum might not be identical overall, but it's a slight difference and just a smooth.  I can't pinpoint where the difference is.  I think it might be that there is a bit more midbass.  However, there is no masking of details, so I'm not sure.  It just sounds slightly... different...    More reports later...

DOUBLE EDIT (oh my goood!):  I "think" there's something slightly different somewhere in the spectrum (very small), but here is the difference in bass.  I used the first eq with the foam tips.  I'm using the second eq with the pfe tips to get the same sound.  It might not be too far from a really deep triple flange, but those don't feel good enough for me to get that deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back