If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 18, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #76 of 19,246
My 4Ps have been safe in their box ever since I bought Shure SE 500 (and then 530 and now 535) headphones. I liked the 4Ps quite a bit. I did not appreciate the microphonics those stiff cables provide. I won't sell them, I'll use them again some day. But the Shures do whatever the Etys do much better.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #77 of 19,246

Quote:
My 4Ps have been safe in their box ever since I bought Shure SE 500 (and then 530 and now 535) headphones. I liked the 4Ps quite a bit. I did not appreciate the microphonics those stiff cables provide. I won't sell them, I'll use them again some day. But the Shures do whatever the Etys do much better.

This is something I unfortunately disagree. Having auditioned the 535 a few times (and planning to make it as my next purchase), I know that it'd never replace the ER4 for me. But then, different personal tastes and all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #79 of 19,246
Yes I was going to mention that, that is potentially dangerous/illegal specially considering the massive isolation of these. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #84 of 19,246
I've tried allot of portable amps over the past 8 years... I keep going back to the Total Bithead for some reason. Actually just bought a new one about 6 months ago because I know its probably going to be replaced soon. I love the crossfeed on the ER4s

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #87 of 19,246

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I was going to mention that, that is potentially dangerous/illegal specially considering the massive isolation of these. 

Considering the amount of sound damping and loudness some people play their stereos at in some ways it's really no different.

There is a difference.  When you wear highly isolating phones such as ER4, you are doing two things. First you are isolating outside sounds to very high degree. Practically sealing your ear canals from sound other than headphone's source. Second, you are playing music directly through the ear canal on top of this sound isolation. 

The car is not isolated to the degree of ER4.  When blasting music, its coming from the speakers, unlike the ER4P which is isolating(sealing your ears from outside sounds) and sending sounds directly to the canals.  

An interesting point somebody brought up before is that deaf people can obtain licenses.  It was a good point, but deaf people have built up their other senses to more acute level as a result of their deafness.  So they most likely have a habit of using their vision as carefully as possible while driving, while people that are not deaf most likely will not build acute sensing ability.  

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #88 of 19,246
Quote:

Well, SE530 is sure an incredible IEM. For sound quality, it is my favorite headphone so far. ER4 may not be quite up there, but it is still better than pretty much anything else I've heard except the SE530.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #89 of 19,246

Quote:
There is a difference.  When you wear highly isolating phones such as ER4, you are doing two things. First you are isolating outside sounds to very high degree. Practically sealing your ear canals from sound other than headphone's source. Second, you are playing music directly through the ear canal on top of this sound isolation. 

The car is not isolated to the degree of ER4.  When blasting music, its coming from the speakers, unlike the ER4P which is isolating(sealing your ears from outside sounds) and sending sounds directly to the canals.

When you sound proof a car you can increase the isolation substantially.  I've been in a friends car that couldn't hear an ambulance till it was 10' away.

An interesting point somebody brought up before is that deaf people can obtain licenses.  It was a good point, but deaf people have built up their other senses to more acute level as a result of their deafness.  So they most likely have a habit of using their vision as carefully as possible while driving, while people that are not deaf most likely will not build acute sensing ability.  

That's an assumption with little relevance though.

Responses in bold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back