If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 12, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #46 of 19,252
Quote:
I'm trying to get rid of microphonics.  Customizing it with Fisher a good idea?  I called and they said they would do it.  Any other places customize ER4s?  Also, do you guys actually believe in better sound through more isolation with either custom tips or full customization?  I can't see it getting any more isolation from it as ER4P has a perfect design for isolation since it goes deep inside ear canals, and with triple flange, it isolates like no other.  Only benefit to customizing it is for microphonics to have the wire go behind the ears more naturally.

I don't know man, I'd be a little weary of customizing the ER4s. I think much of the SQ of the ER4, and part of the reason it has such a uniquely-accurate SQ, is due to the specific way in which they're seated in-ear. You'd be surprised how such little alterations in positioning/ tip material/ bore diameter/ filters play such a huge impact on the overall sound quality. I guess it'd work, but you'd have to be really sure that you're getting excellent isolation/fit, w/ details such as bore diameter/filtering as close as possible to stock ER4s. Even so, I would expect the sig to change w/ any type of re-shelling. 

I'm not sure of the exact thread, but I remember someone on this board posting about how he had his ER4s remolded (by Fisher I think,) and he was incredibly disappointed in how much the SQ had been altered afterwards. He even commented in how crucial that deep-insertion (yes, I said it) is to the performance of the ER4s. 

Let me know how it goes if you give it a try though. I'd be very interested in photos too. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #47 of 19,252
There's always the hf5 for those of us who dislike microphonics. Should be very nearly the same sound but the form factor allows one to wear them over the ear. Why etymotic continues to produce the er4 with such a lousy body design however, remains a mystery...

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #48 of 19,252

Quote:
For those who have tried all 3, how does the ER4 fare with classical compared with say... the UM3x or the SM3? And between the UM3x and the SM3 which one do you prefer?

I've tried UM3X, they have bigger soundstage than ER4 and more full-bodied, but imo they sound less "agressive", less "intimate"
they doesn't sound "injecting-music-to-the-head" like ER4
UM3X are well-detailed but the trebles are "non-fatiguing" kind
the mids are warm and also forward, while bass will be more satisfying than ER4 for most of the people 
everything on ER4 sounds kinda cold, thin, analytical and precise

I never tried SM3 (can't find one around) but most of everyone said that they're more "musical" than the UM3X
less dry-sounding with the soundstage that as big as Senn's IE8 but having more intimate feel to them

your time to decide what kind of classical you would prefer :)

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #49 of 19,252
Has anyone with the ER4 found the separation too strong in some tracks? Some songs i heard the bit where two people sing together like a duet, you hear like...each person's voice separate, and not sounding like a duet. Its like 2 solos.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #50 of 19,252

Quote:
Has anyone with the ER4 found the separation too strong in some tracks? Some songs i heard the bit where two people sing together like a duet, you hear like...each person's voice separate, and not sounding like a duet. Its like 2 solos.

.. well that's why I love them LOL
ER4 have very precise imaging with thin-bodied sound, leaving some space in the soundstage (aka space of soundstage)

I was listening to Korean album "Your Story" (2006) by Brown Eyed Girls
(really great korean pop album with a little jazz into it :D )
some tracks stunned me when i found that i actually hear four group members positioned separately 
etysmile.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #51 of 19,252
I'm here to post that I really, really enjoy the ER4P. They are amazing with classical music. I've thought about keeping them solely for classical. Simply stunning on string quartets or cello solos and good for baroque music. I also think they are great all rounders for lots of genres. Because they are more analytical, it's not always an easy listen; these earphones demand attention. But what they present is stunning, especially on well-produced albums.

I think I could say I'm a better for listening to them. With several albums, I believe I heard what I was meant to hear. As mentioned above with classical music, I feel that I have a better idea of what instruments actually sound like. That is important me not having grown up with live music. These really are an eye-opening experience. Only time will tell if they are crack though, the kind of earphone that I keep coming back to you, even after selling them.

Three things that cause me pause with the ER4P. 1) Their is a treble spike that I found almost unbearable on some tracks. The opening symbols on Reckoner of In Rainbows were painful at a normal listening volume. That very well may be because of how the song was mastered, but I think its something for people to watch out for. I've read (take with a grain of salt) that Etymotic believes that people want a in increase in treble and thus artificially inflate it; I've read its the only part of the frequency range that is intentionally not flat. I personally believe they could further tweak the treble toward neutral. 2) The sound lacks "depth" compared to triple drivers. I've owned the triple.fi, um3x, w3 and now the SE535 and they have a depth that too me the ER4P lacks. I think some may describe this lack of "depth" (admittedly a very non-technical term) as clarity, but I find the ER4P is closer to one-dimensional. Not that they're not awesome! But I felt myself wanting to turn up the volume to get the "space" of the music more. I'm not talking about feeling bass but almost getting a spacial relation. (I totally admit that this may be stupid...) I guess you could say that they sound "thin" to me. 3) But for me the biggest hindrance is the classic etymotic deep insertion. These things go in deep, ultimately I'm afraid too deep for me. For me, this is the only deal breaker. And yet by deal breaker, I mean that if neither the SE535 and Westone 4  satisfy, I'll be back on the Etymotic doorstep, begging for near perfect.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #52 of 19,252
^ If you want better sense of air and depth, upgrade to ER4S + amp. ER4S has a significantly better soundstage. It also has a more transparent midrange, tighter bass and a more refined treble than the ER4P.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #53 of 19,252
Recently picked up a pair of ER-4P on recomendation in this forum. Very impressed with the isolation and detail of these IEMs!

Couple questions for those who have used ER-4 for a while. How often is filter change necessary? I know it probably varies depending on the rate your ears waxify, but a rough order of magnitude would be appreciated. What are the symptoms when the filter needs replacement?

Also, has anyone ordered the cable management accessory from Etymotic? The only thing that bugs me is having to cram the bundle of cables back into the case when I'm done enjoying them - it seems so undignified.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #54 of 19,252
Quote:
Das Mookid said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Couple questions for those who have used ER-4 for a while. How often is filter change necessary? I know it probably varies depending on the rate your ears waxify, but a rough order of magnitude would be appreciated. What are the symptoms when the filter needs replacement?

I've had a pair of ER4S for going on 10 years with fairly regular use.  I replace the filters and tips once a year, and that's just on habit rather than necessity.  I have never seen the filters clogged with wax.  Tips are washed once per week or so.

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #55 of 19,252
I've had my ER4S' since 2003, still use them regularly and still love them.

My only complaint (and its more of a compatibility problem) is the Ety mini plug doesn't work well with my trusty Total Bithead. I have to wiggle the plug to make a solid connection. I dont have this problem with any of my other cans on the Bithead.

Anybody try replacing the mini plug on their ER4? I've already tried a new cable from Ety and it didn't help.

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #56 of 19,252

Quote:
Recently picked up a pair of ER-4P on recomendation in this forum. Very impressed with the isolation and detail of these IEMs!

Also, has anyone ordered the cable management accessory from Etymotic? The only thing that bugs me is having to cram the bundle of cables back into the case when I'm done enjoying them - it seems so undignified.

You hit it right on the head:  filter replacements vary for each user.  Wax and oil are the usual culprits of clogged filters and you will know by a pretty significant decrease in output (usually 90% or even a complete loss).  This tends to happen in one side as opposed to both R & L simultaneously, so it will be easy to tell when your filter is completely clogged.  As a customer service rep, I've talked to people who have to change filters after a couple of months, and people that could go for a year or more.  It will depend on your usage and how much wax/oil you generate.  Everyone is different.

On a personal note, I've found that taking the eartips off (I use the 3-flanged eartips) and rinsing them in some warm water every couple of weeks helps me prolong the life of my filters.  Just be sure to let them completely dry (perhaps overnight) before re-applying them. Flanged eartips should also be replaced every once in a while as they will soften up over time :  I usually recommend 6 months - 1 year depending on your usage.

Hope this helps!

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #57 of 19,252

I think it would be easier if you just buy a little extension for your amp.

Quote:

My only complaint (and its more of a compatibility problem) is the Ety mini plug doesn't work well with my trusty Total Bithead. I have to wiggle the plug to make a solid connection. I dont have this problem with any of my other cans on the Bithead.

Anybody try replacing the mini plug on their ER4? I've already tried a new cable from Ety and it didn't help.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #58 of 19,252

Quote:

$1.69 mini 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male extension cable from amazon.

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #59 of 19,252
The Ety ER4S is a fantastic headphone. A perfect precision instrument. I put it above any headphones that I have or have had: SE530, SE420, Fischer Audio DBA-2, RE-1, RE-0 and all full-sizes headphones I have ever heard.

I want to make a important advice: Forget the 4P version. The 4S version is far superior and I believe that this model has the sound that Etymotic has planned for your headphones. And any player is capable of pushing the 4S version. And this is the version that my post refers.

An important point that no one commented is how this headphone growing as we improve the source. With each upgrade, your sound is moving away from IEM and increasingly to resemble a full-size headphone. It's impressive.

The above paragraph makes me have to comment about the criticisms against ER4S, such as lack of bass and piercing and bright highs. For who listens to this headphone with this kind of sound, I advice to try to upgrade the source. Moreover, to me, no mainstream MP3 players are able to do justice to this headphone. The only players that can show what this headphone is capable are the HifiMAN family. Even HM-601, the youngest of the crowd, is able to create a magical sound, with rich and layered bass, clear and forward mids and a extended treble, giving all his famous details in a sweet and slightly warm way. Just this headphone is capable of creating a three dimensional image of sound, with high stereo separation and a fair soundstage, neither big nor too small. At times, it's as if you were listening to music without headphones, such is the naturalness of its sound.

I really love this headphone.

Cheers,

Peter

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #60 of 19,252
I also love my ER4Ps.  I'm addicted to the mids and the detail.  I have added an apuresound cable, Shure Olives and I use an Arrow amp with my iPhone.  The files on the iPhone are Lossless and with the Arrow I can make the impedance changes so I can go from P to an S, add bass boost and even crossfeed.  With the new cables, the olives and the bass boost I am getting the mids and the detail as well as tight and punchy bass... thats right thumping bass.

I have stopped listening to my Westone W3s and UM3Xs.  In fact, this portable rig and the modded ER4Ps are so good in my opinion I now don't listen to my balanced desktop rig as often.  I am really glad I have persisted with the Etys they are amazing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back