If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 9, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #31 of 19,246
Quote:

Quote:
I've been tempted in the past, but I've always worried about comfort.  I bought a Klipsch X5 when they were half price shortly after they came out.  I love them but can only use them sporadically because they're painful when mu allergies act up

Quote:
Seriously, the ER4 really satisfy me, except for some microphonics and a-little-too-long housing, but nothing's perfect right?

Can you put the cable over your ears?  The X5 has horrible microphonics but they pretty much go away when I put the cable over my ear.  Like the Ety, they're not designed that way so it's a little awkward and it makes them stick out quite a bit, but it's worth it to get rid of microphonics.

Yes, the microphonics will go away for a big part but it didn't work for me. The cable just won't stay over my ears.

And even if you do make it stay, you will look like a horribly mutated alien from Snickers.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #32 of 19,246

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I've been tempted in the past, but I've always worried about comfort.  I bought a Klipsch X5 when they were half price shortly after they came out.  I love them but can only use them sporadically because they're painful when mu allergies act up

Quote:
Seriously, the ER4 really satisfy me, except for some microphonics and a-little-too-long housing, but nothing's perfect right?

Can you put the cable over your ears?  The X5 has horrible microphonics but they pretty much go away when I put the cable over my ear.  Like the Ety, they're not designed that way so it's a little awkward and it makes them stick out quite a bit, but it's worth it to get rid of microphonics.

Yes, the microphonics will go away for a big part but it didn't work for me. The cable just won't stay over my ears.

And even if you do make it stay, you will look like a horribly mutated alien from Snickers.

AGREED! lol hahahahha

(believe me, i've tried, as maybe almost everyone that own them does. It just won't stay like something intended to be worn over-ear)

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #33 of 19,246
The X5 has angled strain relief too and I do look like "mutated alien from Snickers".  Although it doesn't look worse than Super.fis.  The wires do tend to slip off my ears too, and I can't wear a hat that covers my ears which isn't good this time of year.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #34 of 19,246
I have the Er6i's for 4 years and love them to pieces. I have long lusted after the ER4p however the inability to put the cable over the ear keeps stopping me. Microphonics are a pet hate, so this is a big issue for me.

I'm looking for a replacement now as I'd love something with that extra detail... however a part of me really wants to keep the ER6 going for longer :)

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #35 of 19,246
First let me share my customer service experience. A while back I decided to change out the foamies I had on them. I guess they were on too long because one of them seemed to be glued on. In the process of taking them off, I broke one of the driver housings. Hearing so many things about their customer service, I decided to give them a try. The rep told me to send in both drivers. I didn't understand why, but did it anyway. There were out of warranty for almost two years, but she told me they would replace the driver for free. Wow, free driver replacement for an out of warranty item? Now that's customer service. But that's not all. Days later she called me back and told me they inspected both drivers and found the second driver had a hairline crack and they replaced "both" drivers. Now not only is that outstanding customer service, but they went out of their way to go the extra mile.
Their customer service alone is reason enough to give them a try. But fortunately, they also sound great as well. I can't say enough about etymotic.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #36 of 19,246
Maybe nice to know what DAP people are using with there ER4's and what settings they use?

I'll start, using mainly my Sony X-1050. Settings are EQ at custom1 and custom1 has only clear bass set at level 2 or for bass heavy music set to 1. That's it.

*Edit* maybe nice to know that I used other IEM's at this settings and they where loosing detail in the higher end at these settings. As if the more bass they had to produce the less energy was left for the highs. As you may have guessed none of this happened with the ER4's

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #37 of 19,246
I find the microphonics fine if I use the supplied shirt clip to put the strain off the ears.  I even use them when I mow the lawn and the microphonic effects are gone if the wires aren't taught.

I did use to use my ER-6 phones over the ear like you're describing and it was quite nice.  The sound quality improvement far outweighs the microphonic problems in my opinion :)

I too have had nothing bet stellar customer service from Etymotic.  I've never had something break, but they've always been extremely helpful when trying out new tips (always sending samples for free) even after years of ownership. 

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #38 of 19,246
Quote:
Maybe nice to know what DAP people are using with there ER4's and what settings they use?

I'll start, using mainly my Sony X-1050. Settings are EQ at custom1 and custom1 has only clear bass set at level 2 or for bass heavy music set to 1. That's it.

*Edit* maybe nice to know that I used other IEM's at this settings and they where loosing detail in the higher end at these settings. As if the more bass they had to produce the less energy was left for the highs. As you may have guessed none of this happened with the ER4's

Sony NWZ-A816, Samsung T9, Samsung U2, Sansa Clip, or iRiver T10. Flat EQ, although sometimes, I do bump the bass and the treble for fun, which makes the Etys sound really punchy and sparkling. But with a flat EQ, they sound more realistic to my ears. Plus, apart from the Sony and iRiver players, all the other ones I have distort to a certain extent when EQ is applied and the Etys brutally reveal that, so I leave the EQ off with these players. I also have an iPod Shuffle 1st Gen lying in my closet somewhere. It's pretty powerful. Might try ER4S with it.

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #39 of 19,246
Here's how to wear the ER4 with the cable routed behind the ears:

First you need a pair of silicone ear guides like the ones that are supplied with the PFE.
Second, the guides must be positioned correctly and yes, you will still look like a moron.
Third thing is to make a cable cinch. I use twist tie, you know, the small metal wire sleeved with plastic.

I have some nice round clear tie and use this with my e-Q7. I cut a piece long enough to circle the cable 4 or 5 times.

I still listen to my ER4P at home with iPod Classic & XM5 with mostly "reference quality" recordings and use my W3 and e-Q7 on the road...err, outside.

I still think the ER4P (S via XM5) is my most detailed IEM overall which is great for high quality recordings but because they're so revealing, many recordings sound cold and harsh. I prefer the e-Q7 in most cases...I like the bottom end better and their mids are magically delicious.
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #40 of 19,246
Excuse the comparison, but listening to the ER4's for the first time is like making love to a beautiful woman for the first time. You very well may have used other iems in the past, just like you may very well have (ahem...) used "other methods" for fulfilling one's "personal needs." But once you have it, there's absolutely no comparison between the two, and you start to regret all the wasted time...  :) 

Or, maybe that's just me...

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #42 of 19,246
The HF5s were my first purchase before I joined Headfi, and since joining gone through Westones 2 and 3, SM3 and UM3X.  Only the UM3X remain, along with the HF5.   Love them.  In the SM3 thread last year, Bennyboy said he sold his SM3 for some HF5, and no-one could believe him!

Been meaning to get the ER4 for some time now and this might just push me to it
biggrin.gif

Great thread btw
smile.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #43 of 19,246

Quote:
Ok, so I found the ER-4P for $231 USD in Europe! Now, I just need to know, what is the difference between it and the ER-4PT? It's an additional $177 for the latter choice on amazon.co.uk, which makes me wonder a bit.

The P are sold by Amazon, but the PT are being sold by a private seller - a German seller is selling them for £195 ($313), although is out of stock for 2 - 3 weeks.

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #44 of 19,246
For those who have tried all 3, how does the ER4 fare with classical compared with say... the UM3x or the SM3? And between the UM3x and the SM3 which one do you prefer?

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #45 of 19,246
I'm trying to get rid of microphonics.  Customizing it with Fisher a good idea?  I called and they said they would do it.  Any other places customize ER4s?  Also, do you guys actually believe in better sound through more isolation with either custom tips or full customization?  I can't see it getting any more isolation from it as ER4P has a perfect design for isolation since it goes deep inside ear canals, and with triple flange, it isolates like no other.  Only benefit to customizing it is for microphonics to have the wire go behind the ears more naturally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back