If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 25, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #19,141 of 19,246
@EtyDave Happy holidays, I hope all is doing well. I wanted to ask something so time ago and Idk if you can answer this but, based on the XRs, EVO and ERX, the target for reference is different compared the S/SR models so I want to know how exactly Etymotic decided to use that bass shelf and that downslope on treble? Any research based on the same studies like the Original S/SR models?
1703543156575.png
And btw I make a thread on X for Resolve that says that he will review Etymotic IEMs so I you guys can help getting more info for a video, this is the thread:https://twitter.com/AngeloLorenzoni/status/1735464530367381746

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #19,142 of 19,246
Some random thoughts on my journey with Etymotic and where I ended up today. These are all my personal experiences so take them with a grain of salt.

I've been using Ety's since the mid 90's ER4(B) and have owned each of the iterations since. I have always dabbled in the audio-enthusiast world and over the past 30 years have used all sorts of other IEMs and headphones - everything from $30 ear buds to $2K IEMs to $3K headphones. After all that time I am convinced that the ER4XR is the absolute best IEM money can buy in 2023, regardless of price. In fact, aside from ER2XR, I sold every other IEM and have been strictly using Ety's for the past 6 months.

When it comes to how they sound, I love just about everything about these. The ER4XR is not just amazing for music, but also for tv/film and spoken word. I love turning on some low volume ambient music while working to create a relaxing atmosphere. It's just the right amount of bass and sparkle. The mids are incredibly well balanced with everything as well. I love these with all sorts of genres but especially electronic for how fast/precise sounding these are. But even 90s hip hop sounds lush on these. I'd say Ety really nailed it with the XR version. It gives it that little bit more low end and thickness while retaining all of the clarity.

Their small, durable housing is time tested. In the 30 years I've had Ety's I only had to send in a single pair in (one of the channels died on me). Despite being out of warranty Ety took care of me and sent me back my IEMs with a new channel matched graph. Unbelievable!

Learnings:

The fit: I know the fit is polarizing but honestly I've always felt the Ety's are quite comfy and can wear them all day long without issue. I never shoved them all the way in my ears. I just insert the silicone part all the way and that creates a perfect seal for me.

Tips: I've tried damn near every tip on these (both OEM and 3rd party). For me, the absolute best tips for the ER4XR are the double flanges for comfort and noise isolation. The triple flanges create more isolation, but are less comfortable. And the pink Ety foamies are what I use on long flghts. They provide the ultimate in comfort and isolation, but they don't last forever and are a little annoying to put in each time so I reserve them for flights. Nothing else was quite as good, but I will say if you want a single flange solution spinfits are the best I've tried.

Cables: If these headphones have one con, it's got to be their proprietary MMCX connection. I've explored all sorts of headphone options and even tried making my own. Here's the bottom line - any 3rd party cables all use the same cheap 90º MMCX connector that can be bought on aliexpress. They work but they look ugly and the connection is noticeably less secure than the OEM cable. I recently bought a $100 cable from Plussound and even they used these cheap connectors. The absolute best cables you can get for the ER4XR are the stock ones. Unfortunately they are expensive but aside from some microphonics they fit great, are durable, and the MMCX connection feels perfect.

My setup today:

Desktop: I run a RME ADI-2 DAC --> ER4XR. If I don't want the sound isolation or to give my inner ear a breather I use a pair of headphones instead. In my case I use the HD800S which I think are an excellent pairing to the ER4XR.

Couch or portable: I use a Qudelix 5K bluetooth dac amp --> ER2XR. I also created a shorter cable using the stock ER4XR cable so these would work clipped to a t-shirt. Yes, I know this isn't a ER4XR, but it's still excellent for the price. I still prefer the ER4XR tuning, but the ER2XR isn't bad. It sacrifices some clarity for more low end. That's fun sometimes.

Backup/office: I've got a pair of Ety HF3. They give me that Ety sound and include a cable w/ mic for times I need to make a phone call or take a Zoom meeting.

IMG_5788.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #19,143 of 19,246
@EtyDave By the way, I read somewhere that at least 1/10 of the people on Etymotivc is leaving due to problems with LucidAudio or if it is something relate to money but Im kinda scare to know that Etymotic will disappear. Sometime ago Etymotic have online people to write on customer service on the site and know is by email. There is a reduction of personal on all the deparments? What will happend with the future of thr company?

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #19,144 of 19,246
My latest improvement. I use the ER4XR at the office. I had the Bax cable from the Evo. I now use it with the Er4xr with two adapters t2 to mmcx from Westone and mmcx to Etymotic from Aliexpress. The Bax is perfect for the ER4XR. Goodbye microphonics in the cable. That is to me the only bad thing of the ER series. Also since the ER4XR are lighter, the cable does not tend to tangle as with the Evo.

IMG_2611.jpeg

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #19,145 of 19,246
@EtyDave By the way, I read somewhere that at least 1/10 of the people on Etymotivc is leaving due to problems with LucidAudio or if it is something relate to money but Im kinda scare to know that Etymotic will disappear. Sometime ago Etymotic have online people to write on customer service on the site and know is by email. There is a reduction of personal on all the deparments? What will happend with the future of thr company?
That doesn't sound good - Where did you hear this information?

Jan 2, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #19,146 of 19,246

Well, I can't really comment as my position was eliminated in December. But I will say that there are still some really good people there.

Jan 2, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #19,149 of 19,246
Jan 2, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #19,151 of 19,246
Say, what are people using for best isolation??
I have used the triple flange on my er4xr under a motorcycle helmet connected to a Q k5 . They seem to work well. Fighting the last bunch, they were the large clear.. wanted more like they came with, but these are different. Thinner, more Grey white if I recall, and they seem to wrinkle for some reason. Usually using them for longer days.. 4 to 8 hours or so.
The foam I think would stick out more and might cause issues with putting my helmet on and off.

Has some custom triple in ears I returned after fighting fitment, wind noise on one.. they sounded great, but I need them to seal, to block the wind noise.. then quiet background music most of the time, seem I'm fighting fitment with my ety tips as well at the end of the riding season.

Any thoughts would be great, much appreciated

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #19,153 of 19,246
I recently switched from the Ety tripple-flange to the single-flange Shure EASFX1-10S and couldn't be happier with isolation, audio sound, and especially fitment.
I want to try these, but do they not sell an assorted size pack?

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #19,154 of 19,246
That's likely due to my miniDSP EARS, for some reason the ER4S are notoriously hard to measure with it. I get a lot more consistent results with shallow fitting IEMs.

Ah, that makes sense. I’m slightly wary of making comparative measurements using that as it doesn’t really approximate the transfer impedance of a human ear.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #19,155 of 19,246

Users who are viewing this thread

Back