If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 9, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #18,376 of 19,246
A clogged or damaged filter would explain why the volume is down, not dead. <sigh> I can't believe it took me months to think about trying to change the filter of the muted earpiece to see if that solved the problem. I can't try right away -- I'm tense and exhausted, a very bad combo for precise work -- so for now I placed the ER4SR in a transparent sealed box with a dehumidifier. The atmospheric humidity is 72% (not very high ... for Taiwan); the humidity in the box is down to under 10% (my hygrometer just shows "LL" under 10%, so I can't be more precise). Note that I tried this with my first ER4SR, and it didn't solve the problem.
You probably need to just change the filter. I haven’t had to in mine yet, but I don’t think it’s a big deal.

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #18,377 of 19,246
A clogged or damaged filter would explain why the volume is down, not dead. <sigh> I can't believe it took me months to think about trying to change the filter of the muted earpiece to see if that solved the problem. I can't try right away -- I'm tense and exhausted, a very bad combo for precise work -- so for now I placed the ER4SR in a transparent sealed box with a dehumidifier. The atmospheric humidity is 72% (not very high ... for Taiwan); the humidity in the box is down to under 10% (my hygrometer just shows "LL" under 10%, so I can't be more precise). Note that I tried this with my first ER4SR, and it didn't solve the problem.

Yeah, once the filters get messed up because of moisture drying them out doesn't seem to restore them back to working order, at least IME. You'll probably just have to go through with changing it once you're feeling up to it.

Dec 10, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #18,378 of 19,246
Hm, OK. The thing is, with my previous ER4SR, the volume dropped suddenly after I'd been wearing the IEM for hours -- and not after I'd taken a shower. The next day, the volume was back. Then it dropped again -- again, after I'd been wearing the IEM for hours; again, not after a shower. Then the next day, the volume was back again, and there was no problem for a couple of weeks, then the volume dropped again, more and more often, then for good. If just wearing the IEM for hours can wreck the filter (because of, what, ear-canal sweat?), then I'll need new filters every few days. That's not really an option -- not one I can afford!

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #18,379 of 19,246
Hm, OK. The thing is, with my previous ER4SR, the volume dropped suddenly after I'd been wearing the IEM for hours -- and not after I'd taken a shower. The next day, the volume was back. Then it dropped again -- again, after I'd been wearing the IEM for hours; again, not after a shower. Then the next day, the volume was back again, and there was no problem for a couple of weeks, then the volume dropped again, more and more often, then for good. If just wearing the IEM for hours can wreck the filter (because of, what, ear-canal sweat?), then I'll need new filters every few days. That's not really an option -- not one I can afford!
Before buying Etymotic IEM's I thought I would have to replace the filters really often and it would've been very expensive, but I've been wearing my ER2SE almost everyday for 1.5 years and never had to replace the filters even once.

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #18,380 of 19,246
Before buying Etymotic IEM's I thought I would have to replace the filters really often and it would've been very expensive, but I've been wearing my ER2SE almost everyday for 1.5 years and never had to replace the filters even once.

Yes, but it's the second pair that fails me, and each time in a matter of days. :sweat:

I had no such problem with the HF5, which I also used in Taiwan; I even used it very regulary at the gym, for years, and I sweat like a squeezed sponge when I exercise. I've had no such problem with the EREK-5 either, which I've used for hours in a row in the very same place the two ER4SR pairs failed.

The two ER4SR pairs never even left my bedroom.

At that stage, I don't even know if the filter is responsible or not. I haven't trusted myself to change it, I've just been too tense and too tired. I haven't even tried listening again to the ER4SR; it's been "drying" for the past couple of days.

I'll at least give it a listen tomorrow.

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #18,381 of 19,246
So why am I crying like that? Well, since you asked: The right side of my brand-new ER4SR has suddenly dropped in volume. Yeah, like the previous pair this one replaced. I tried switching ears, tried switching sources (PC → phone), and tried swapping the cable sides. The problem stays, meaning that it's either a problem with the driver or a problem with the housing (filter included; I realized yesterday night that I never tried changing the filter; I'll have to do so later, when I'm less mentally drained and therefore less likely to fumble).
I had a similar problem with the ex2xr, i changed filters, cables, sides etc., etymotic supplied me with a new pair which have worked fine (so far)

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #18,382 of 19,246
Yes, but it's the second pair that fails me, and each time in a matter of days. :sweat:

I had no such problem with the HF5, which I also used in Taiwan; I even used it very regulary at the gym, for years, and I sweat like a squeezed sponge when I exercise. I've had no such problem with the EREK-5 either, which I've used for hours in a row in the very same place the two ER4SR pairs failed.

The two ER4SR pairs never even left my bedroom.

At that stage, I don't even know if the filter is responsible or not. I haven't trusted myself to change it, I've just been too tense and too tired. I haven't even tried listening again to the ER4SR; it's been "drying" for the past couple of days.

I'll at least give it a listen tomorrow.
Do you still have the HF5? As they're about same nozzle and filter, if you could use them without issue that would exclude the filters(unless the filter material did change over the years?).

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #18,383 of 19,246
When my very first ety's "died" on me, it quickly turned out it was the filter that got clogged. After a while I moved to Comply foams with wax guard, never had to change filters after that. Actually filters are now somewhat irrelevant to me.

Dec 10, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #18,384 of 19,246
I had a similar problem with the ex2xr, i changed filters, cables, sides etc., etymotic supplied me with a new pair which have worked fine (so far)
My ER2SE left side died after 1.5 years of use. Out of warranty so nothing I could really do but I was gutted because I would probably pick the ER2 over the ER4 due to the natural timbre.

Dec 11, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #18,385 of 19,246
Do you still have the HF5? As they're about same nozzle and filter, if you could use them without issue that would exclude the filters(unless the filter material did change over the years?).

I no longer have the HF5, but I did use it for years in Taiwan, even at the gym (when I was covered in sweat), and I never had to change the filter. When my HF5 died, both sides died, which means it was most probably a cable issue.

When my very first ety's "died" on me, it quickly turned out it was the filter that got clogged. After a while I moved to Comply foams with wax guard, never had to change filters after that. Actually filters are now somewhat irrelevant to me.

I wasted a lot on money on Comply foam tips: they were all too small for me.

My ER2SE left side died after 1.5 years of use. Out of warranty so nothing I could really do but I was gutted because I would probably pick the ER2 over the ER4 due to the natural timbre.

Is quality control declining, or is it just a coincidence, you think?

OK. the time has come. I watched this video -- now I'll change my filter.

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #18,386 of 19,246
Changing the filter was easier than I thought, but didn't solve the problem. The volume of the right side has partly come back, but it is still not as loud as the left side. Also, if I listen only to the bad side and crank up the volume, I still don't get the clarity I get from the other side; it sounds darker, or muffled, in comparison.

Wait, let me try something.

Okaaaay. This is weird. I removed the filter, and now the volume and brightness of the right side are on par with those of the left side. But what does it mean? <sigh> Wait, I'll try one last thing.

It is a filter issue. I tried without filter on both sides, and the volume is equal. Then I switched the filters: I put the left-side filter in the right earpiece, and vice versa, and now the right side is good, and the left side bad.

What is weird is that this bad filter is a new filter. Though that explains why the volume was partly back: the new filter simply isn't as bad as the old one. But still, it is bad. And it's all new.

I'll try with yet another filter now.

Aaaand . . . it works!

The sound is clear and the volume balanced again. :sweat_smile:

So, two bad filters. Except that the first (the preinstalled one) worked fine originally. So I hope this issue won't reoccur.

But as I mentioned, I used the HF5 for years, including while sweating at the gym, and never had to change the filters. So there's hope.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #18,387 of 19,246
To those who don't know about hf5 and er4, they use the "same" driver but by two different manufacturers. sonion 2389 is essentially knowles (2)9689. Slightly different in the fr. Thus to me. hf5 + PtoS adaptor ~ er4s.
Same thing may apply to er3. Etymotic being a "big" company means that they are able to customize ba driver. New er4's have customized drivers that you are not able to buy retail like you do with 29689/2389. So it's "safe" to etymotic.
Which also means that even if you crack er3/4 open, you won't find anything meaningful.
My word is, if you love etymotic and want to support etymotic, go buy er4sr + xr + mk5 and probably er1 and 2 lol.
If you want to have the most of your money and have the most of your er3, try adding 20-100ohm resistor to er3 and profit.
Hi. Could someone pass the wiring diagram of this PtoS adapter, please? Is it really in series? A single 75ohm resistor in the cold, is it enough? Or one in each hot (L R)? Thanks.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #18,388 of 19,246
Hello, I live in Southeast Europe and I am looking for a place to buy an ER4-XR, are there any European online retailers which sell it?

Dec 17, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #18,389 of 19,246
Hello, I live in Southeast Europe and I am looking for a place to buy an ER4-XR, are there any European online retailers which sell it?

Pricing in Europe is likely to be and stay high. It'll probably be cheaper for you to buy from Amazon.com when the ER4XR price is low (lowest price this year was $177.20 -- between $207.32 and $225.04 with VAT, depending on where you live in Europe). You'll probably get free shipping, too.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #18,390 of 19,246
Pricing in Europe is likely to be and stay high. It'll probably be cheaper for you to buy from Amazon.com when the ER4XR price is low (lowest price this year was $177.20 -- between $207.32 and $225.04 with VAT, depending on where you live in Europe). You'll probably get free shipping, too.
1671408848603.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back