If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 3, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #18,346 of 19,253
That's always a bit of a balance. When we used the ultra-thin low microphone BaX cable on the EVO, a lot of people seemed to feel that it's too thin and wouldn't be reliable. Those cables are quite robust, but indeed are thin and a lot of people have a hard time getting past that.
I think thin cable was a problem on EVO because of its large shell, but it could be quite good on ER series.

Dec 3, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #18,347 of 19,253
... especially since the average ER4 customer is likely to be a little more knowledgeable than the average EVO customer, and so won't think the BaX cable more likely to break that a fatter cable. A cable's weakness is at the connection points; I've never heard of a cable, thin of fat, just snapping! And yes, I'd love the BaX on the ER4SR.

Actually ... Linum offers a variety of cables on their website. Couldn't they offer a version for the ER4SR? There's a thriving market for aftermarket ER4 cables; just Google it. Right now, this market is scattered between many small sellers on eBay, AliExpress, etc., but if Linum started selling official ER4 cables, they'd take over that small-but-not-insignificant market. Maybe if enough of us contact Linum about it, they'll consider giving it a try. (Just link them to this post.)

If they do, I hope they'll offer a 110-degree angle option (like this one), for people who'd like to wear the cable over their ears and thereby totally eliminate microphonics. It would be especially worth it for the BaX, which is so thin that it can easily be worn over the ears even by people who wear glasses

For everyone here who isn't familiarm with the BaX cable, I recommend Thomas Tsai's 2014 review. Here's a quotation:
The kevlar-reinforced (individual strands of aramid) thermoplastic elastomer (TPE-A, TPA) jacket is really strong; over the last few weeks, I've taken it out on the streets, tugged roughly on it, threw it around, turned it into a tangled mess, and nothing fazed the cable. I've gone jogging with the cable, walked around crowded streets and underground passageways; the only thing I'd be worried about for this cable is the off chance that a lunatic takes a scissor to it and tries to snip off a section! At the same time, the cable is incredibly soft. Although it might look like a fishing line, the Linum cable is way more pliable and far less springy.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #18,349 of 19,253
Dec 5, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #18,350 of 19,253
Dec 5, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #18,351 of 19,253
I use freight forwarder to get most of my stuff. Even the biggest companies don't ship to my country, so thats the only way.
I used to be a regular Viabox customer, but using their service has become too expensive. Amazon has free shipping to Taiwan for orders over $60 for a good number of items, though alas not all of them.

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #18,352 of 19,253
... especially since the average ER4 customer is likely to be a little more knowledgeable than the average EVO customer, and so won't think the BaX cable more likely to break that a fatter cable. A cable's weakness is at the connection points; I've never heard of a cable, thin of fat, just snapping! And yes, I'd love the BaX on the ER4SR.

Actually ... Linum offers a variety of cables on their website. Couldn't they offer a version for the ER4SR? There's a thriving market for aftermarket ER4 cables; just Google it. Right now, this market is scattered between many small sellers on eBay, AliExpress, etc., but if Linum started selling official ER4 cables, they'd take over that small-but-not-insignificant market. Maybe if enough of us contact Linum about it, they'll consider giving it a try. (Just link them to this post.)

If they do, I hope they'll offer a 110-degree angle option (like this one), for people who'd like to wear the cable over their ears and thereby totally eliminate microphonics. It would be especially worth it for the BaX, which is so thin that it can easily be worn over the ears even by people who wear glasses

For everyone here who isn't familiarm with the BaX cable, I recommend Thomas Tsai's 2014 review. Here's a quotation:
I have the ER4XR and also the Evo. I love the Evo with the SuperBaX. My Bax now has no use. I would love to use it with the ER4XR. I have written to Linum as you suggested

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #18,354 of 19,253
How would you compare the ER4XR to the EVO?

I have the ER4XR and love them but always wondered how the EVO compares.
The ER4XR was my favorite iem until I bought the EVO. Somebody around here described the EVO as transparent and I completely agree. I use both almost daily. EVO at home and ER4XR at the office. To me the EVO is simply in a higher, better level. I listen mainly to classical orchestral music and the EVO are amazing for that. More detail and incredibly clear sound. Only point where I prefer the ERs is for isolation (I also have the ER2XR and the ER3XR, the last one I regularly use with the Etymotion Bluetooth). I get a slightly better isolation with the ERs than with the EVO. Apart from those my favorite headphones if that somehow helps to clarify are the Denon AH-D7200 and the AKG K712 Pro.

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #18,355 of 19,253
The ER4XR was my favorite iem until I bought the EVO. Somebody around here described the EVO as transparent and I completely agree. I use both almost daily. EVO at home and ER4XR at the office. To me the EVO is simply in a higher, better level. I listen mainly to classical orchestral music and the EVO are amazing for that. More detail and incredibly clear sound. Only point where I prefer the ERs is for isolation (I also have the ER2XR and the ER3XR, the last one I regularly use with the Etymotion Bluetooth). I get a slightly better isolation with the ERs than with the EVO. Apart from those my favorite headphones if that somehow helps to clarify are the Denon AH-D7200 and the AKG K712 Pro.
Thanks for your response. I might seriously consider them if a really good deal pops up.

During the pre release of the EVO I was hoping they were going to be a hybrid design with a DD handling lows and BA handling mids/highs.

I have a set of ER2SE that I enjoyed more than the ER4XR due to the fantastic timbre of the ER2 DD so I imagined I was going to get the textured bass & timbre of the ER2 and the detail & imaging of the ER4. A man can dream.

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #18,356 of 19,253
I might seriously consider them if a really good deal pops up.

At $250, the EVO on BH is only $52 more expensive than the ER4SR on Amazon (which is itself heavily discounted). When you consider that a BaX cable sells for over $100 with shipping, the BH price makes the EVO a complete steal. If you live in the States, that is, or at least somewhere BH will ship to.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #18,357 of 19,253
At $250, the EVO on BH is only $52 more expensive than the ER4SR on Amazon (which is itself heavily discounted). When you consider that a BaX cable sells for over $100 with shipping, the BH price makes the EVO a complete steal. If you live in the States, that is, or at least somewhere BH will ship to.
Thanks but I'm in the UK unfortunately.

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #18,358 of 19,253
For anyone interested in the Linum cables for the ER series.

I wrote to Linum:
I have the Etymotic Evo that came with the BaX cable. I then bought the SuperBax cable for the Evo. I am very pleased with that combination. I would love to have an adapter to use the BaX with my other Etymotic ER4XR and ER3XR which use a special mmcx connection. Is that possible?

They answered:
Thank you for your message, we are glad to hear you like our Linum cables 😊.
We offer a T2 to MMCX Adapter in our online shop, yet unfortunately the MMCX overmould on the adapter is too large to fit into the recessed socket on the ER2/3/4 series.
Some of our customers have with success sliced a bit of the MMCX plug to make it fit, yet this would be entirely at your own risk and would void warranty.

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #18,359 of 19,253
For anyone interested in the Linum cables for the ER series.

I wrote to Linum:
I have the Etymotic Evo that came with the BaX cable. I then bought the SuperBax cable for the Evo. I am very pleased with that combination. I would love to have an adapter to use the BaX with my other Etymotic ER4XR and ER3XR which use a special mmcx connection. Is that possible?

They answered:
Thank you for your message, we are glad to hear you like our Linum cables 😊.
We offer a T2 to MMCX Adapter in our online shop, yet unfortunately the MMCX overmould on the adapter is too large to fit into the recessed socket on the ER2/3/4 series.
Some of our customers have with success sliced a bit of the MMCX plug to make it fit, yet this would be entirely at your own risk and would void warranty.

That's a really, really lame answer they gave you.

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #18,360 of 19,253
Just coming back to this thread (which I dont think I've visited since 2017) to once again fanboy over my old ER4SRs. I got them back around the time they were first introduced (serial numbers in the low 3300s; made in usa) and they've been the one pair of headphones/iems I've refused to sell after all these years (I had the ER4S & ER4P before the SRs.) I've tried tons of stuff out there and the etys are the only headphones, (both full size and iems; dynamics, multi-ba, planars, electrostats) that I would categorize as 'perfect' SQ wise. Currently listening to the soundtrack from 'Inception' on Tidal (MQA) and it's just amazing how immersive two little BAs can get with the right engineering. The team behind the original development of the ER4 line (as well as the ER4SR/XR) really should pat themselves on the backs for this product. It'll be a sad day if/when my pair finally die (I'll admit the cable connectors at the 'key' section on both earpieces are looking a bit rough.) Hopefully the ER4s remain available in the lineup for a long time to come.

I'd love to try the EVOs, but unfortunately, any iem ive ever tried that are designed to sit in the Concha inevitably causes me discomfort after a brief period of time (I guess due to my freakishly small ears.) Plus, I just can't see how the improvements can be that substantial over what I'm hearing with the ER4SRs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back