If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 28, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #18,331 of 19,249
Sold all of my big shell iems, now I'm in love with these new babies!

1669629777059.png

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #18,332 of 19,249
I posted a recommendation here a few weeks ago for a third party cable maker for Etymotic cables of many different varieties called LunaShops. They have their own website and an AliExpress store. I have purchased both premade cables from them for various pairs of Etys for myself and others and cable making supplies fir making my own cables.

All the cables I have gotten from them have been well made and work great. I currently own cabkes from them for my ER4XRs, a couple for some AKGs, two Hifiman cables, and a few random IEM cables. They do custom work on request when I wanted custom lengths and stuff. Now that I started making my own cables I buy some of my supplies from them.

All of this to say I would recommend you check their cables out. My favorite for my ER4XRs is their braided 8 core.

https://www.lunashops.com/

Edit: Tagging @Chaz1952 since I didn't respond to your post and want to make sure you see this.
Does Lunashops put in the proper resistors that are supposed to be in the Etymotic cables? I have ER-4P IEMs that need a new cable but it's worrisome that they don't have you specify which type of IEM you have when ordering. I measured mine and I think I measured 22 ohms series resistance on the L and R channels and I think about 100K parallel resistance from both L and R to common. I'm not sure if not having those resistors will matter much.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #18,333 of 19,249
Does Lunashops put in the proper resistors that are supposed to be in the Etymotic cables? I have ER-4P IEMs that need a new cable but it's worrisome that they don't have you specify which type of IEM you have when ordering. I measured mine and I think I measured 22 ohms series resistance on the L and R channels and I think about 100K parallel resistance from both L and R to common. I'm not sure if not having those resistors will matter much.

I would ask them. My understanding is that the newest versions of the Etys (ER3XR/SE, ER4XR/SE, etc) don't have resistors in their cables anymore like the older members of the ER4 line used to. When I measured my ER4XR's stock cable it came back at something like 1.1ohms or just wire though I generally look for less resistance in a quality cable. Point being, for my purposes I didn't have to look for a cable with a resistor included.

What you could also do if they don't offer a resistor equipped cable is buy one of theirs along with one of the cheap impedance adapter plugs from the likes of Dunu or Jcally (I own several of these in various resistances). That way you can update your cable with any one you like and keep the resistor issue separate.

Alternately, you could always splice your own resistor circuit into whatever cable you purchase if it doesn't have one included which would allow you to tailor the resistance to exactly match the measurements you have obtained from your stock cable.

As I said, I would definitely shoot them an email first as all these options may be unnecessary if they make cables that already include the resistors. Make sure you keep us posted as I'm sure others would find the info useful.

Nov 30, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #18,334 of 19,249
I would ask them. My understanding is that the newest versions of the Etys (ER3XR/SE, ER4XR/SE, etc) don't have resistors in their cables anymore like the older members of the ER4 line used to. When I measured my ER4XR's stock cable it came back at something like 1.1ohms or just wire though I generally look for less resistance in a quality cable. Point being, for my purposes I didn't have to look for a cable with a resistor included.

What you could also do if they don't offer a resistor equipped cable is buy one of theirs along with one of the cheap impedance adapter plugs from the likes of Dunu or Jcally (I own several of these in various resistances). That way you can update your cable with any one you like and keep the resistor issue separate.

Alternately, you could always splice your own resistor circuit into whatever cable you purchase if it doesn't have one included which would allow you to tailor the resistance to exactly match the measurements you have obtained from your stock cable.

As I said, I would definitely shoot them an email first as all these options may be unnecessary if they make cables that already include the resistors. Make sure you keep us posted as I'm sure others would find the info useful.
I contacted them and they told me they could put in what I want. It didn't seem like they knew what to do - they need instructions.

I measured my damaged cable more carefully today. I see 0.6 ohms from sleeve (common) to each of the commons on the IEM side. I see 19.8 ohms from tip to left and 20.3 ohms from ring to right. I was mistaken when I previously said I saw parallel resistance across some pins - probably was measuring resistance between my hands. Oops.

Do the impedance adapters add in series or parallel resistance?

Nov 30, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #18,336 of 19,249
Been trying the ER4XR i got few days when I do 4db 100Hz low shelf It sounds like a ER2XR if was BA based It crazy how hard the 4XR's can rumble. Also got a ER4SR on US Amazon for £195 as a back up IEM & if I'm in a mood for flat/neutral sound.
If you like the 4XR with an additional 4dB below 100hz you definitely won’t like the 4SR without EQ.

I love my 4SR with just enough EQ on the bottom to make them measure flat. They still have a “low” amount of bass though, but I like it.FF93AE59-9D2E-44F8-9096-8A3E788E6E39.jpeg

The 4SR really is something special. It’s so flat and smooth and really does nothing wrong. The isolation with deep inserted triple flanges is awesome too. They isolate better than my AirPods Pro 2, and AirPods Max with their ANC on.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #18,337 of 19,249
You heard the 1st gen or the 2nd gen? The second gen has boosted sub-bass, but the mid-bass isn’t too bad and I don’t really hear any bleed into the mids.

My ER4SR is obviously much clearer, but the APP2 is nice for a fun wireless set. My Etys stay at home, so the APP2 will be a good out of the house wireless set.
I'm not sure which gen - my wife got them a few months ago. The extra bass is probably good while on the go. I usually travel with my XR's and leave the SR's at home.

Nov 30, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #18,338 of 19,249
I'm not sure which gen - my wife got them a few months ago. The extra bass is probably good while on the go. I usually travel with my XR's and leave the SR's at home.
Gotcha. I do think I prefer the Pro 2’s with a tiny bit of bass EQ’ed out. I’m doing -3 from 125hz and down right now.

Dec 1, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #18,339 of 19,249
If you like the 4XR with an additional 4dB below 100hz you definitely won’t like the 4SR without EQ.

I love my 4SR with just enough EQ on the bottom to make them measure flat. They still have a “low” amount of bass though, but I like it.FF93AE59-9D2E-44F8-9096-8A3E788E6E39.jpeg

The 4SR really is something special. It’s so flat and smooth and really does nothing wrong. The isolation with deep inserted triple flanges is awesome too. They isolate better than my AirPods Pro 2, and AirPods Max with their ANC on.
It was to replace the dead ER3SE's I had.

Dec 3, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #18,342 of 19,249
Well, it took some time, but Lucid Audio did right by me in the end: I've got a new ER4SR! (Lucid Audio even found someone I could send my defective ER4SR to locally, and didn't require that I send back the whole box, so shipping was cheap.) My thanks go to Gary and Ann (in Taiwan) and Jeff LaRico (director of sales for Lucid Audio).

After much, much, much, much tip rolling, I returned to my old favorite: the EarFills (L) from Future Sonics. I shortened the stem, though.

BEWARE: Shortening the stem isn't easy, due to how flexible the material is. I tried using a cut Q-tip inside the stem and a cutter to cut the stem around the Q-tip, but didn't get very good results. In the end I just used a pair of very good scissors and trimmed little bit by litte bit until both IEM mouths were at the same distance of their respective eartip mouths.

Attachments

• 2022-12-03 - ER4SR and EarFills (L, cut) - 0.PNG
    2022-12-03 - ER4SR and EarFills (L, cut) - 0.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 2022-12-03 - ER4SR and EarFills (L, cut) - 1.JPG
    2022-12-03 - ER4SR and EarFills (L, cut) - 1.JPG
    490 KB · Views: 0
  • 2022-12-03 - ER4SR and EarFills (L, cut) - 2.JPG
    2022-12-03 - ER4SR and EarFills (L, cut) - 2.JPG
    353 KB · Views: 0
  • 2022-12-03 - ER4SR and EarFills (L, cut) - 3.jpg
    2022-12-03 - ER4SR and EarFills (L, cut) - 3.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #18,343 of 19,249

The ER3SE/XR and ER4SR/XR do indeed have the resistors in the earpieces. If you use aftermarket cables, you don't need inline resistors.

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #18,344 of 19,249
The ER3SE/XR and ER4SR/XR do indeed have the resistors in the earpieces. If you use aftermarket cables, you don't need inline resistors.

Right, that's why I said that they don't have them in the *cables* anymore. I think that was a good move on your/Ety's part. It makes much more sense setup that way, IMO. For the record, I actually like the use of the little notch to prevent rotation at the MMCX connector.

Do you happen to know if there are any plans to work on reducing the micrphonics on the cables? The stock cable on the ER4XRs is an improvement, but it still has some moderate microphonics going on and could be better. However, the cables that comes with the ER2s and ER3s are practically unusable when moving around, even with the clip, because the microlhonics are so bad. Just wondering if there are any plans to improve on them at all. As it is, I just use third party cables.

Dec 3, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #18,345 of 19,249
Right, that's why I said that they don't have them in the *cables* anymore. I think that was a good move on your/Ety's part. It makes much more sense setup that way, IMO. For the record, I actually like the use of the little notch to prevent rotation at the MMCX connector.

Do you happen to know if there are any plans to work on reducing the micrphonics on the cables? The stock cable on the ER4XRs is an improvement, but it still has some moderate microphonics going on and could be better. However, the cables that comes with the ER2s and ER3s are practically unusable when moving around, even with the clip, because the microlhonics are so bad. Just wondering if there are any plans to improve on them at all. As it is, I just use third party cables.

That's always a bit of a balance. When we used the ultra-thin low microphone BaX cable on the EVO, a lot of people seemed to feel that it's too thin and wouldn't be reliable. Those cables are quite robust, but indeed are thin and a lot of people have a hard time getting past that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back