If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 13, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #17,866 of 19,246
Yes, more tips.

Cheap hearing-aid tips:
Cheap hearing-aid tips.PNG

Future Sonics (M, stem shortened) and SpinFit (M)
Future Sonics (M) and two types of SpinFit (M).PNG

Size comparison:
Size comparison.PNG

Stem length comparison:
Length comparison.PNG

From left to right: cheap hearing-aid tip, Ety biflange, Ety triflange (standard), Ety triflange (bigger), SpintFit biflange, SpinFit

I rolled up the bottom flange of the two Ety triflange to let you see the bottom of the stem. The bottom flange otherwise goes past the bottom of the stem.

Jun 14, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #17,869 of 19,246
4SR for classical.
Of the 2's, I'd go with my XR for it. If you're gonna roll dynamic, really enjoy the bass texture.
I love my 4XR for classical, plus I also sometimes listen to other genres. In this case I'm asking for a friend. That said, the reviews of the ER2 series are so good I'm tempted to pick them up to try them and to get a better sense of the virtues of dynamic.

I don't see the point of the ER3 series, Sr or XR. I figure, buy an ER2 or an ER4.

Jun 14, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #17,870 of 19,246
I love my 4XR for classical, plus I also sometimes listen to other genres. In this case I'm asking for a friend. That said, the reviews of the ER2 series are so good I'm tempted to pick them up to try them and to get a better sense of the virtues of dynamic.

I don't see the point of the ER3 series, Sr or XR. I figure, buy an ER2 or an ER4.

Ah yeah, I was gonna say your 4XR outpaces both 2's imo.

ER3 predates the ER2, so they didn't compete directly when they designed/released them. I'd say they still make sense for people looking for balanced armature on a budget, or who value the Etymotic accuracy rating (they stopped doing it after the 3 unfortunately). The 3SE in particular is also very close to the slightly warm tilt of the old ER4P that some preferred to the 4S (I myself did not, my P/S adapter was fused to my 4P cable lol but as with all things YMMV).

Jun 14, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #17,871 of 19,246

I'd recommend the 2XR if you have the 4XR and like it a lot. I have both and use both a whole lot. For me the 4 is more detailed, the 2 is a fuller sound, darker and warmer and very easy to listen to. A lot more bass. I use the 4 with my warm player and the 2 with the somewhat cooler one.

Jun 14, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #17,872 of 19,246
The good/bad news about the virtues of the 4XR is that to step up from there I think I'll need to spend a ton of money. Diminish returns. There are a few $600 sets that might be worth it, and then we're in Andromeda territory. But below that? Not sure.

Jun 14, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #17,873 of 19,246
The good/bad news about the virtues of the 4XR is that to step up from there I think I'll need to spend a ton of money. Diminish returns. There are a few $600 sets that might be worth it, and then we're in Andromeda territory. But below that? Not sure.

That's the 'downside' with Ety's crazy value prospect. It's awful hard to find an upgrade :)

I quite like the Evo compared to the 4XR for what it's worth, but YMMV.

Jun 15, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #17,874 of 19,246
Interestingly i originally had the EX4XR and eventually sold them as i found them a little too analytical and bright, i then bought the EX2XR which i love and finally the EX3XR which is also excellent and a little warmer and with IMO a more rounded listenable/musical sound.

Obviously this is subjective and with my own equipment and tastes in music.

d

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #17,875 of 19,246
For me

ER4XR = Detail /Speed
ER2SE = Timbre / Warmth

One is not better than the other imo. Only downside is one of my ER2 would drop volume significantly after 10-15 mins of listening. I have tried drying them out as much as is possible but it hasn't fixed it. ER4's are still going strong.

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #17,876 of 19,246
Discovery!

--
Remember that 2.5 balanced cable that I said I will not be using?
edit: it was in another thread never mind here is the link to that post...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-sr25-the-next-a-norma-player.926918/post-16978953

Well guess what:

After I got the ER4-SRs today I was very unhappy with the Extreme Bright and Extreme Flat sound presentation at first... like really it was extreme and absolute flat and absolute bright...

BUT with the balanced cable switch it made a HUGE HUGE difference and that balanced cable made them light-years better sounding I am now happy with my ER4-SRs out of SR25 MKII 2.5 balanced out everything is just much better less brighter and less flat there is more dynamics going on and MORE BASS!

Incredible isn't it?

I would say they are now reminding me of XRs but without the bass bleed into midrange at certain tracks I already love my SRs more than XRs LOL!

Interesting that balanced cable is making XRs less detailed but at the same time it is making SRs more fuller/dynamic in lower regions and more detailed/liquid sounding than XRs. SRs with the balanced cable are clearly better sounding than XRs with unbalanced or balanced cable IMO.

Now I am very very happy with my ER4-SRs!

I just wanted to share this with you my fellow head-fiers... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back