If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 18, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #18,121 of 19,248
Just in case, it's almost a rite of passage to hurt your ears the first day, trying a bunch of tips and going in and out one time too many. If that happened, start by giving it 2 or 3 days without IEM, and then try again with the tips that felt like they were the right size/seal. Go slow when you put them in or take them out!!!!

Second possibility, the straight IEM is forcing on your not so straight ear canal and that gets painful rapidly. You can keep trying until the ear conforms to the IEM(because ears really do that to some extent). Over time you also learn what not to do, like pushing or pulling fast as it's a lot of pressure change for the eardrum. with flanges, try to equalize pressure once at least part of the tip is inside(pulling on your ear lob upward while pushing the IEM in the other direction, or whatever jaw movement that breaks the seal if that happens for you.

Personally I could never get used to the triflange and went for comply at first(the Ety foams by default being too itchy for me in the beginning).

Last but sadly it's the biggest issue possible: If your ear canal bends too much or your bones pushes on the Ety too much(like you feel the back of the jaw chewing on the IEM when you eat or talk). No amount of time will solve that and Ety's just not for you.

I think most cases are accounted for.

Sep 18, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #18,122 of 19,248
I guess I got lucky. The stock triple flanges felt fine for me right from the start. All ears are different though.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #18,123 of 19,248
Hi again, I desperately try to give my ER4XR a chance. Can you recommend me alternative comfort eartips that gives the same or almost the same sound as standard ones?
Trade them for a pair of EVOs (half-joking)

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #18,124 of 19,248
I've tested the Spinfit CP800 and I would say it's about 80 to 90% of the sound of stock eartips. Bass is slightly less pronounced and treble is more emphasised. But it's quite good. Hope someone could recommend a better solution. (Comments about my ears or selling are maybe funny to you but they don't help at all)

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #18,125 of 19,248
Sep 19, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #18,126 of 19,248
I've tested the Spinfit CP800 and I would say it's about 80 to 90% of the sound of stock eartips. Bass is slightly less pronounced and treble is more emphasised. But it's quite good. Hope someone could recommend a better solution. (Comments about my ears or selling are maybe funny to you but they don't help at all)
I have grown used to the triple flanges and I love them but an alternative for me was Comply TX100. These are super comfortable and no sound difference to my ear. Curiously I use the large triple flanges but for the Comply I use the small size. For me it is a question of getting the Etys deep enough inside and simultaneously with a good seal.
Hope it helps

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #18,127 of 19,248

I have had good luck with the Comply P series and the Shure bullet foams, both in small (for deep insertion). They are way more comfortable than the triple flanges and seal very well in my ears.

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #18,128 of 19,248
My left side ex2xr dies after about half an hour but the sound comes back later. I changed the cable/filters/foams so it is not any of those. It happens when i go walking (quickly) but the shure yellow foamies have wax prevention built in.

Any ideas?

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #18,129 of 19,248
My left side ex2xr dies after about half an hour but the sound comes back later. I changed the cable/filters/foams so it is not any of those. It happens when i go walking (quickly) but the shure yellow foamies have wax prevention built in.

Any ideas?
I’m gonna guess that the filter is getting wet from sweat and then when it dries out it works again.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #18,130 of 19,248

Any ideas?
I had that but it was the plug on the DAP side that got slowly pulled out by my pocket while I was walking. Not sure that has anything to do with your issue.

Sep 20, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #18,131 of 19,248
Gosh, I haven't been here for a few years and this thread is still going! XD
Well, I finally did it!
I got my ER4XR!
After owning the ER3XR and ER2XR, I thought I was prepared.
I kept hearing people say how the ER3XR sounded the same and how boring it was compared to the ER2XR.
Well, I wasn't ready. Not ready at all.
The smoothness, the detail, the satisfying warmth and slam of the bass. SO. UTTERLY. PERFECT.
I did not think it was going to be THAT much of an upgrade!
First time ever I've actually experienced the "Hey, haven't heard that before!" effect while listening to music.
People complain about the lack of depth, but it's perfect! The sound never bumps into each other. Everything has it's place.
Now I'm convinced that Etymotic is run by genius wizards.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #18,133 of 19,248
I'm looking for an inexpensive USB C dongle to use with my ER4XR and my Pixel 6 phone. Would the apple dongle do the job or is there a better "bang for buck" dongle? Any recommendations sub $100?
If you can up the budget to $109 I’d say get the Qudelix 5K. Other than that there is a big thread where they discuss the best current usbc dongles. I’m using an iPhone so I just use the Apple lightning dongle. I have a 5K but for simplicity for my ER4SR I just use the Apple dongle and just leave it attached to the ER4SR.

The apple dongle works with android but only at half the power unless you use usb audio player pro. There are better options for android.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #18,134 of 19,248
Just got a pair of ER4S, using the grey (large?) triple flange I get a perfect seal in my left ear (inserting deeply past the 2nd bend), but pain in my right ear (doesn't seal properly, fair bit of pain). Using final E types (with an adapter), I can insert it properly but it doesn't seal. They sound perfectly fine with Final E types, however they don't isolate as well as they do with a proper deep fit (obviously).

Should I try ordering some smaller triple flanges, if so where in Europe can you get them?

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #18,135 of 19,248
Are there known issues with Etymotic cables at the moment?

I've had two sets of ER2XR's now with the same issue of a lose connection at the plug and sound cutting out. The retailer hasn't said anything but i'm wasting money on postage returning them at this point.

I just saw this. Please shoot me a PM, I'll get you sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back